Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• find more grunt

Hi every one,
    I cant find the post where the guys were talking about still able to get their XS's to do 130 +. Mine does 118. I know im 45 years old and I got all hoodlum like the other day just to see howw my sweetie would do. I can get up there real quick as Ive always been able to do ,but I cant get a red line in 5th. Ive got 70 k on this bike, Ive got my bugs out thanks to the site here, The bike runs grrrreat too.I feel the old grunt in her again.thanks to evryones input. Could this lack of top end be some clutch wear,(feel no slippage) or just wear and tear and mechanical wear on valves and rings. Ive got 140 + compression, accels, valves in spec, running super.K+N , carbs are clean and set.Is it possible to tweak this bike any more or am I just suffering from Xsessive envy?ps, mommy wont lend me the money for big bore.

It is not clutch slippage, you would be able to red-line but not get the speed.

Check fuel flow. Clean screens in the tank, no kinks in the lines, maybe check the inside of the lines as they often swell inside.

Check the vacuum lines to your petcocks and vacuum advance, and make sure your carb boots do not leak (spray carb cleaner around them while the engine is running, if it changes tone, you have a leak).

Adjust cam chain tension, check valve clearances.

Plenty of voltage to CDI? Good connections on the electrical system, (battery /fuses/connectors)? LOTS of juice is used at high rpm..

Are you at altitude? Maybe jetted wrong for optimum preformance?

Bike should hit 135 easily. If not, something is wrong.

Good luck!
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

double check

Hi dragon rider,
      Ive done all all youve mentioned except the gas lines. I still have the same old lines a litlle shorter though.. I take it they swell on the inside and close diameter? hmm? Also for juice ,which connectors? I havemeticulously replaced the fuse box, cleaned any ignition connectors.which " other" ones should I look at? Timing is on . Battery is new, heavy duty.I did carbs this year and bike didnt like leaner or richer. Runs best on middle notch. the bike will pull me back on the seat. Grunt olla. Just that top end. no miss ,no pop . When I got there thats all it had.Hmm fuel lines?? what do you recommend?

Comment

Have you tried getting your bike up in 5th 'to where she won't go no more', holding it for a bit, and chopping the throttle/pulling the clutch/hitting the kill switch so you can get a good read on the plugs?
        Ken Talbot

Comment

check again

Thanks Ken,
          Ill try that and see. I did once before and the plugs didnt look that bad. The plugs are newer. Im running ngk 7r's.perhaps I need more miles on them to get a good read.I have a few things to check. its always the little things isnt it. Get back to you
          Thanks
          Steve

Comment

Yep, it is all in the details.

Check the battery cables, especially the ground to the frame.

Fuel lines? Just go to a local bike shop and get some. The auto stuff is usually too thick walled.

If fuel delivery and voltages are ok, like Ken said, chop the throttle and check the plugs...

Good luck!
            CUAgain,
            Daniel Meyer
            Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
            Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Again, for top speed runs, the right jetting is crucial. Slightly rich and you'll lose steam before 8000. Too lean and the bike wont pull against the hurricane to get to 8000. Even one main jet size up or down can make a 8 - 10 mph difference. As you know, tailwinds have a big influence. Long hills too. Those people claiming 140 mph plus on xs1100's always conveniantly forget to mention that part!

Comment

more grunt

Pgg.Im not looking for 135mph, just alittle faster than 120 and that would sooth my ego. I was thinking going one notch down to get a slight richer. The bike works well with lots of pull in the midrange. Plugs are pretty clean looking after high speed chop. Perhaps I could try one notch richer.im also trying one range cooler with the plugs withthe high ignitoin and K+ N. i ahve yet to set to richer. it runs really well at present,Mid revs to three quarter range she flies.Im just looking for a little more. This bike doesnt really like alot of change for some reason and Im curious to how it reacts to the new settings. I did try these new settings before but I was having an advance problem at that time. I put every thing back to its present setting,So we thought it a carb problem Then I found and fixed the advance glitch. so I now, new fuel/vac lines , cleaner connections,I want to try it on richer setting and see. then Ill refer to the site here. Perhaps Ill find out there is no more to be had out of the old girl.further more Im running out of nice days.

Comment

Trouble is moving the needle notch causes big changes. Moving down one notch is liable to make the plugs black as at cruising speed. Needle adjustments are more for low and midrange changes. Main jets for high revs. I reckon an xs11 is good for 125 mph - around 8000 in top gear. After that it's a slow crawl up.

Comment

In my XSs younger days it would power right up to 140, then slowly continue to pull. That is with 4:1, increased jetting and K&N filter. Now with 82K miles it is slow to get to 120 and does not want to go much over that. Time for the BigBore!
                    DZ
                    Vyger, 'F'
                    "The Special", 'SF'
                    '08 FJR1300

Comment

live with it

Hi Denny,
                      i suppose 118 aint to bad. Mid range is great on mine.Itll yank right up there.Hmm a big bore is way in the future for me, ( more reading)( more questions/more money)Enticing thing is these bikes can handle the increase I gather. guess I was feeling like a rooster and want more from my old girl.Have to be content for now.Find me a tail wind one day.Ha.
                      Thanks for the responses guys.
                      Steve

Comment

more grunt

Hey Guys
                        well had a few nice days here to check out my bike .ive put a few more miles on, about600k, I did a high spedd chop and found my plugs are to clean and no. 3 was almost white. Referring to some of the threads and dennys jetting formula im going to replace the main jet from 137.5 (79 xs) to a142.5.hope fully it will be rich enough to bring back the propercolour perhaps even increase performance alittle in the mid to wide open. I have the k+n ,accel coils, and these dunstall exhaust-4into2, . Ill start there and let you know.
                        later steve

Comment

Good luck with your tweaking. On my xs with big-bore and flowed head, I fiddled with quite a few sizes. With 147.5's max speed was 197 - 198 kph. With 145's it went up to 207 kph and 213 kph in a tail wind. With 142.5's and 140's, max speed was 195 kph. At full revs the plugs (bp7's) didn't change appearance with the jet changes, but engine temperature was hotter on the smaller jet sizes. ( temperature gauge running direct off the cylinder head)

Also economy was better on the 140's. I compromised between economy and heat and now stick with 145's as they give the best performance on my setup. New plugs stayed white, but still had a carbon ring at the bottom of the porcelain. After a couple of thousand kms the porcelain eventually turned a purple tinge but a white patch remains on the combustion side. The plug rims have a light carbon coating on top, so everything seems in order.

Comment

I'd better explain that those speed readings are with a digital pushbike speedo.

Comment

Sluggish speedo maybe?

What are your RPM's at that speed? If your speedo was like mine it would reach top speed long before the speedo showed it! and when you had slowed down it would still say you were bookin' haha. I just noticed that you referred to "redline" but quoted MPH. Just curious and couldn't help but ask. I could top the ole Cat out and check RPM's but my dumbass speedo would still be climbing after it was over. I guess I ought to fix that this winter.
                              Garry
                              '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                              outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Working...
                              X