Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 y/o first bike!

Hi,
    After a few years of my 12 y/o boy riding the pillion seat, he's finally asked for his own saddle. So, santa scrounged up an '03 yamaha YZ85 that needs a little TLC. Is there any type of governor that will restrain the ponies on this trick ride? The PO says that it'll pop up easy in second gear!!
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

OOPPSSsss,
    I messed up on the pics in the previous entry

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Guess what I'll be doing for the next week or so !! So the XJ project will be on hold for a week or so, @%%#$^@!!!!
    Merry Chrismas!!!!
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

The governors haven't changed much since the time I was that age, as far as I know there are only 3...how far you twist the right wrist, fear (or lack of it), and scrapes and bruises.
      Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Ain't that the f#**ing truth, Guy!!
        1980G Standard, Restored
        Kerker 4 - 1
        850 Rear End Mod
        Automatic CCT
        1980GH Special, Restored
        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

Does anyone know where to download a service manual for this ride? I just tried our German brethen's site but they only go up to '96.
          Thanks
          1980G Standard, Restored
          Kerker 4 - 1
          850 Rear End Mod
          Automatic CCT
          1980GH Special, Restored
          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

Did you try Ebscohost? The YZ80 manual might be close.
            Last edited by bikerphil; 12-10-2010, 11:36 PM.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Good idea!!
              I haven't checked, they may even have the 2003 YZ85!!
              It's a +2000 model from what I can gather.
              I'll check.
              1980G Standard, Restored
              Kerker 4 - 1
              850 Rear End Mod
              Automatic CCT
              1980GH Special, Restored
              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
                Is there any type of governor that will restrain the ponies on this trick ride?
                You could try putting so much slack in the throttle cable that he'll never be able to actually get it to WOT. Then again, that might not last much more than one or two days till he figures it out..
                Ken Talbot

Comment

Actually there may be a way...at least there was in Karting.

My class used KT100 engines with expansion chambers and I ran mine from 10,200 rpm to 14,000 rpm at the track I frequented...but there was also a "sportsman's" class which used a non-expansion chamber exhaust...which limited HP and rpms.

I haven;t researched it but maybe there is something out there that's similar for small 2 stroke bikes, Ill do a search...
                  Guy

'78E

Comment

Well...I can't find anything on making less HP...everyone wants more...lol...sorry
                    Guy

'78E

Comment

OK... I checked some more with different search terms.

Two ways to restrict the motor, 1. get a PW50 hand throttle which has an adjustable throttle stop (you will probably have to rejet 'cause it'll want to foul plugs running "off the pipe" all the time)..... or 2. restrict the exhaust in some manner at the silencer (perhaps a sleeve with a set screw, or a welded in washer)...either way you'll need to rejet...(carefully, remember 2 strokes seize easily if you lean 'em up too much..)

I doubt you'll need to keep him "governed" for long...

Hope this helps...unlike my first smart-a$$ answer..lol
                      Last edited by Guy_b_g; 12-11-2010, 12:44 AM.
                      Guy

'78E

Comment

Ken,
                        That idea came to mind last night to prevent WOT. At least for a while.

Guy,
                        That PW50 throttle is a good one. I don't want to start modifying stuff before I get more familiar with this machine.

Still trying to locate a free manual

Ebscohost doesn't have it, nor does the 'german' site.

I have to service the carb, its clogged from sitting unused for an extended period of time. I want to make sure I make the correct adjustments upo re-assembly.
                        I kind of took a chance on this bike as it's a non-runner. I checked the compression which was good at 150psi with the engine cold.
                        Spark checked out good as well, and she wanted to start when I sprayed strating fluid in the air intake. It actually fired up on it's own, w/out spray, after I loaded it in the truck. But didn't stay running, petcock was closed.
                        Brakes aren't seized, has new clutch and accelerator cables, Renthal bars, rear rim recently re-laced, no corrosion on the forks, etc.
                        Risk I took is with the transmission since I wasn't able to test ride it. But PO swore the it shifted well. I'm surmising that they make these trannies fairly robust due to their intended purpose.
                        Tomorrow my son an I will perform the routine lubricant replacements, will start taking it apart to remove the carb and wash the thing so we can then prepare the surfaces for painting. Found a complete Acerbis plastics set for it on Motorcycle Superstore for $90.!!!!
                        Great!!!! Just what I needed... another project to interrupt the progress on the XJ *^%%. Father and son bonding experiences are priceless.
                        1980G Standard, Restored
                        Kerker 4 - 1
                        850 Rear End Mod
                        Automatic CCT
                        1980GH Special, Restored
                        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

Service manual maybe here? ....

http://gigabitwarez.com/download/Yam...%20manual.html
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I haven't found a service manual, but I did find a Parts Manual. It shows alll the pieces opened up in exploded views. It might help anyway.
                            1980 XS850SG - Sold
                            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                            -H. Ford

Comment

Got an owners manual too. If I find any others, I'll post them here.
                              Last edited by CatatonicBug; 12-11-2010, 07:50 PM.
                              1980 XS850SG - Sold
                              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                              -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X