Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kreme

FYI
    I just did a quick search on Kreme and found this post from another site.

http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-an...?msg_id=00Azam

I have not used it, but after reading some of these posts, I think I'll keep looking.
    Walt
    80 XS11s - "Landshark"
    79 XS11s
    03 Valkyrie
    80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
    78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
    81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

Check the following links for alternative fuel tank coatings:

POR15

Caswell Plating

A few list members have had problems with Kreeme. I think it is due to poor preparation then anything else. I used Kreeme on mine, and so far, so good. Mind you, it's not even been a year yet. I went on the recommendation of a supervisor at work who did his BMW about 7 years ago, and it is still as good as the day he coated it. Kreeme's biggest problem is that it does take a lot of prep work compared to the other coatings available.
      Brian
      1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
      1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
      remembering the same thing!

Comment

I have a question,on a 78E there are the holes for fuel petcocks and also the sender unit for the gas gauge.I have used this stuff before and with so many holes I`am a little skittish to try this on one of these tanks.I have had it gum up all the threaded holes,in other words makes it a pain.I thought would try a air hose first and then go from there.What do you do with all these openings?I know they have to be sealed but with what? Any ideas? Thank you P.S. What about the threaded openings?
        Bill Harvell

Comment

Originally posted by wildbill
          I have a question,on a 78E there are the holes for fuel petcocks and also the sender unit for the gas gauge.
          Several ways to do this. I have heard of some people turning the fuel sending unit around and re-installing it backwards, after creating a gasket to completely cover it. (usually a piece of inner tube) I cut a piece of wood the same size and installed it with a gasket. For the petcocks, some people have used the petcocks themselves, after removing the plastic fuel screens. Create a gasket and put the petcocks back on. I cut 2 pieces of steel, either 1/8 or 1/16, that I had, drilled holes and put them on. For the filler cap, I used a method that Sid suggested, an expandable rubber plug that is used for freeze plugs on car engines. Other people have used the fuel cap itself, just put some heavy grade plastic on first, and then close the cap.
          Brian

Comment

Thanks,those are some good ideas.The last time I used kreme,either I waited to long or did something wrong and the stuff gummed up the threads in my tank and made it a real bear to get fixxed back right.That`s one thing or more what I`am worryed about.The holes,the threaded ones are my main worry.
            Bill Harvell

Comment

Lining Fuel Tank

Put bolts in the holes that you are afraid will get gummed up. After kremeing simply remove the bolts. The holes will be clean and serviceable.
              Ken?Sooke
              78E Ratbyk
              82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

Re: Lining Fuel Tank

Originally posted by ratbyk
                Put bolts in the holes that you are afraid will get gummed up. After kremeing simply remove the bolts. The holes will be clean and serviceable.
                Ken?Sooke
                78E Ratbyk
                82 FT500 "lilRat"
                Thanks,Do you wait until the kreme has set before removing the bolts and other hardware?I think that is what I did wrong the other time.Thanks again.
                Bill Harvell

Comment

Lining Fuel Tanks

I would suggest that you put a small smear of grease on the threads of the bolts before installing them. Then allow your lining material to set up before removing the bolts. The grease will prevent the epoxy lining material from adhering to the threads of the bolts or of fouling up the threaded holes. You will not need a lot of grease. Just a small smear.
                  Ken/Sooke
                  78E Ratbyk
                  83 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

Thanks,that was what I wasn`t doing.Will smear a little grease on the bolts.That should take care of that.When I get my tank back and get a sealer kit,if I have any more questions will post. Thanks alot.
                    Bill Harvell

Comment

Wildbill, I've been trying to find the text that I had for treating the tank, but can't find it.

I'm sure I am going to leave somethig out, but here goes:

From what I can remember, the first step is to degrease the tank. I poured about a quart of degreaser in the tank, and shook the daylights out of it. Then fill the tank with hot water. Shake again. Drain. Degreaser should be a white milky colour. Then pour in a few table spoons of dish detergent, followed by about a half a tank of hot water. Shake vigoursly to wash the degreaser out. Also at this time you can put in several lengths of small chain to aid in the descaling of the inside of the tank. Continue shaking, rotating the tank to ensure that you wash all surfaces. Drain, rinse repeatedly until all soap is out. Fish your chains out. Then pour the etching solution in, and top up the tank with hot water. Your etching solution will be weaker if you fill it all the way up, but a lot easier to ensure all surfaces get etched this way. Place a cover on the filler neck, (DO NOT SEAL TIGHT) and then walk away for a while. How long all depends on how badly your tank is rusted. Some people have taken a rusty bolt and put it in a jar with some etching solution. When the bolt is clean, your tank should be as well. Drain the etching solution into a storage container as you can use it over again. Rinse completely to remove all etching solution. Immediately pour in the MEK and shake vigoursly. This will absorb the water and aid in drying the tank. Drain back into container. Pour coating into tank and rotate tank several times to coat the inside of the tank. Then start at one side of the tank, and leave it sit with that side down for 10-15 minutes, rotate several times and then leave it sit on a different side. Repeat untill all sides,top, bottom, etc have been coated. Drain excess back into container and save for another tank or to recoat this one. Sometime during the coating process I think it recommends to remove and replace all screws. After you drain the excess coating, turn the tank over and insert an air line into the filler neck. I used an aquarium pump, Sid used his shop vac, the idea is to create an air flow to aid in curing the coating. Leave it blow for a day or 2. Then, if you're really anal about it, set it someplace warm for a couple days.

Somebody else chime in here if I forgot anything.
                      Brian

Comment

Thanks,The only place I can do this will be outside{calling for snow}and the temp. needs to be in 70s or 80s for it to work right.I would try fixxing it in the house but I don`t think the boss would like that.When I get all the stuff together and read the owner`s manual if I have any questions or problems I will let the fellows know. Thanks alot .
                        Bill Harvell

Comment

I have 4 tanks that I bought to paint and resell on ebay next spring. Be glad to sell you one. I have 1 that is pratically brand new, was on the shelf of a dealer and was bought out in a sell off of the business. It is used but looks new. Buck Benton - Atlanta

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Buckb
                            I have 4 tanks that I bought to paint and resell on ebay next spring. Be glad to sell you one. I have 1 that is pratically brand new, was on the shelf of a dealer and was bought out in a sell off of the business. It is used but looks new. Buck Benton - Atlanta Thanks,if you want to send me a private message concerning price and we will see what we can do.Things are tight for me right now but we can still figure something out.Thanks. P.S. I`ll get this thing straightened out and running sooner or later.
                            Bill Harvell

Comment

Working...
                            X