different gas tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• different gas tanks

Hi to all, I have a question. I`am in the process of hunting a gas tank that will fit and work on a 78 XS-11E.I posted something about this quite a while back.My question is what will fit?If the tank will fit then I can make it work.How about a tank off a XS750 or something like it.There is a bike shop about 40 miles from me that had a 5.5 gal. off the touring model XS.I want some advice on this.My old tank is not worth fixxing Thanks for any advice.
    Bill Harvell

tanks

hi,over here in the uk some xs owners have been able to put e model tanks on 1.1s,midnight 1.1. so it should be possible to put a tank of a 1.1s on to your 11e hope you get sorted out,i have seen all sorts of tanks for the xs1100 on ebay.good luck.

Comment

Re: tanks

Originally posted by scoobes
      hi,over here in the uk some xs owners have been able to put e model tanks on 1.1s,midnight 1.1. so it should be possible to put a tank of a 1.1s on to your 11e hope you get sorted out,i have seen all sorts of tanks for the xs1100 on ebay.good luck.
      Thank you for responding.There is a shop fairly close to me that has behind the shop a fairly large selection of used tanks and other parts,I hope to find something that will work there.Once again thank you, will keep that in mind.Would rather go with hands on approach and do a little horsetrading, face to face. Thanks I will need all the luck I can get.
      Bill Harvell

Comment

tanks

hi
        i have a xs1100rh and the large tank of a std will fit so std and specials are interchangable. i dont think that the tanks changed over the years.ther is a midnight special in texas that has a xj tank on it it fitted with a little mods so the owner told me on the phone .i have some pics to show this if you want them

Comment

Re: tanks

Originally posted by jimg1au
          hi
          i have a xs1100rh and the large tank of a std will fit so std and specials are interchangable. i dont think that the tanks changed over the years.ther is a midnight special in texas that has a xj tank on it it fitted with a little mods so the owner told me on the phone .i have some pics to show this if you want them
          I`am glad to hear that the gas tanks will interchange.I`am curous as to what mods the owner did to make it work.Leave a message or post and I will get back in touch with you. Thanks.
          Bill Harvell

Comment

The touring XS...the Venturer (81 standard) had a bigger tank then 5.5g? It was 6.3 gallons - It should bolt right on your standard, however, I am not aware of changes to the tank mounting.

The Venturer (USA) or TransCanada XS1100
            Gary Granger
            Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
            2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

WillBill,

I have been cleaning up my work shop and came across a spare XS11 standard gas tank 79 or 80 model. It is rough on the outside a few dents and dings (needs some bondoing and new paint to make it look good) and it does have some rust inside. It came off of a wrecked bike I repaired when I worked for Yamaha (many years ago). I was planning to swap out my special gas tank with it, but kept putting it off and now I don't want to spend time hunting for fuel petcocks and gas cap for this tank. If your still need a tank or are interested in it let me know. It is just the gas tank.
              I let you have it for what you think it's worth say (10-15 buck plus shipping tank weighs about 8lbs.)

Do'Lee
              Do'Lee
              XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
              (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
              (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
              (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
              SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

Hey Wild Bill....
                I put a tank off a 82 XJ on my 81 XS Special. The only modification needed was the tab or tank mount was cut off, so no bolt on the bottom of the tank, but the seat holds the tank in place, no probelm. It looked pretty cool, wider and longer...but, as a person that likes to "mess" around, I took my original tank and a XJ tank to a body shop and had it modified. I now have the original mounting and a fat tank. My current tank is as wide as the engine, which means we added 2" to each side of the XJ tank, and a flush mount fuel cap. Looks pretty cool I think, but it did have a $ figure attached. I'll try to get a couple of shots with new tank if you like...

J. Todd
                81' XS1100LH
                I bought it for a bargain, now it is a prize.

Comment

different gas tanks

Thanks for the input.The Venturer did have a 6.3 gal. tank{a lot of brain fade there }Do Lee,I`am waiting on a transaction to go through first.When it does I will check and see if that Venturer tank is still there if not I will be in touch.Thank you.
                  Bill Harvell

Comment

Well first I checked at a body shop Then I thought of something else.Go to a uphostery shop and see how much to cover,like a full coverage tank bra.Haven`t got the price yet but I know it will be less than Hope that will do the trick.Now to figure out the best way to get loose rust out of tank.
                    Bill Harvell

Comment

tank on royal star venture

this tank has a tear drop look to it and is a 6 gallon tank. Could this possibly fit on the xs11 special?

Comment

John

Originally posted by JTodd
                        Hey Wild Bill....
                        I put a tank off a 82 XJ on my 81 XS Special. The only modification needed was the tab or tank mount was cut off, so no bolt on the bottom of the tank, but the seat holds the tank in place, no probelm. It looked pretty cool, wider and longer...but, as a person that likes to "mess" around, I took my original tank and a XJ tank to a body shop and had it modified. I now have the original mounting and a fat tank. My current tank is as wide as the engine, which means we added 2" to each side of the XJ tank, and a flush mount fuel cap. Looks pretty cool I think, but it did have a $ figure attached. I'll try to get a couple of shots with new tank if you like...

J. Todd
                        What did that swap give you for fuel capacity. I also have an XJ tank kicking around, and I also have an 1100 special kicking around I have wondered about that swap for some time. What kind of mods did you have done to the tank at the body shop? Did the swooping of the fuel tank interfere with the side covers? Were the front mounting 'pockets' in the same place on both tanks? What is the capacity of the stock XJ tank?

Comment

What is the capacity of the stock XJ tank?
                          5 gallons. Reserve is about 3 quarts with stock petcocks.
                          Jerry Fields
                          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                          '06 Concours
                          My Galleries Page.
                          My Blog Page.
                          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Rust removal

Originally posted by wildbill
                            Well first I checked at a body shop Then I thought of something else.Go to a uphostery shop and see how much to cover,like a full coverage tank bra.Haven`t got the price yet but I know it will be less than Hope that will do the trick.Now to figure out the best way to get loose rust out of tank.
                            Bill, have you tried, or heard of a product calle 'Kreme'? It's a fuel tank liner that comes as a three product kit. It has an acid(muriatic,I believe) that will dissolve, and remove the rust, a neutralizer, and the coating agent. It works really well when used properly. I've used it in two different bikes and it really works great. Most bike shops sell it, and the last time I bought it the caost was $25.

Comment

The only problem with some of the tank sealers is that they are sensitive to any fuels that contain Methanol. Also... be careful using any sort of fuel additives. Many such as Gumout contain MEK which can break down the sealers.
                              1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Comment

Working...
                              X