No announcement yet.

OH dear, I must be a sick man :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice! At least it's mostly clean and intact!
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Ya she is a nearly complete bike. I gave her a real quick wash after work today and changed out the oil. Only 2 liters came out so she was low to say the least. Also did a cam chain tension adjustment. Just doing the oil and cam chain reduced engine noise substantially. Fuel tank has NO RUST in it to be seen. Added some Sea Foam for good measure. Battery seems strong, Radio works but at least one speaker is blown or no longer connected, Most of the chrome is in good shape including the saddle bag wrap around. All in all she appears to be a good find. I will know better after I run the usual assessment tests and really get to her.
      While doing the cam chain adjustment I noticed that the pick up wires have been Micky mouse repaired with black electrical tape. That's likely why she is missing when the throttle is given a quick twist. I guess I will have to start another bike building thread ...
      Rob
      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Nice find; looks like a real gem!

If you're not going to use that seat and you're thinking of selling it, let me know. Don't know if you remember, but my seat was modified by the PO and doesn't fit too great up to the gas tank.

Good luck on the build; let me know if you need a spare pair of hands.
        '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

So I have done it again. I went out and bough another bike yesterday. I picked up a Honda CBX 550 just like the Nephew's. It needs a con rod bearing so it was cheap. The lad I got it from has the head and jugs off and all the parts are labeled and in containers. This will be a "back burner" project for me. I'll post some pics of her the next time it's DRY outside.
          Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Well, today I cleaned the carbs, replaced the brake fluid and bleed the brakes, changed the middle gear fluid and drained the final drive fluid but could not fill it. Filler plug is striped so I will have to work on that one. Changed the clutch and throttle cables. Cleaned and di-electric greased all electrical connections, changed the oil.
            Next up I need to change out the air box due to a fire the PO must of had, adjust the headset bearing, replace the universal joint boot, change the oil filter 9 afraid OT look in there... From what I am seeing, this bike was bough, used and never serviced. Everything is factory and in need of HELP!!
            Here's a photo from last fall after I took the Travel pack out her.

Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Thats a sweet bike Rob...well worth the effort.
              1982 XJ1100 MadMax-im
              2001 Honda ST1100

Comment

True to my belief this bike has never been maintained. 50,000 on the clock and the head set bearing have never been touched. There are no adjustment or tool marks on much of anything. So the head set bearing are soo worn that the front wheel will move about 3/8 of an inch in any direction when the front wheel is off the ground. When I adjusted the bearing to firm them up a bit it seems to be that the wear NOTCH in the center position of the bearing is deep enough that the front end can be close to locked in the center position like a factory default detain. Sort of like the chock rod on the carbs LOL I bet wheel bearings all round are toast as well.
                Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                1978 XS500E
                1979 XS1100F Restored
                1980 XS1100 SG
                1981 Suzuki GS1100
                1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Question for 80 special owner about clutch cable

I installed a new clutch cable after doing the internal clutch adjustment. When I went to hook up the cable at the level I see that it appears somewhat short. My question is, does the special make use of the lock wheel at the level. It seems that if the lock wheel was not in the set up the cable would be perfect. Note that the cable is the correct cable.
                  Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                  1978 XS500E
                  1979 XS1100F Restored
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  1981 Suzuki GS1100
                  1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Synced the carbs and she is running pretty good. Next up for the engine is valve adjustment and cam chain adjuster gasket replacement. Leaking like a sieve. I guess I will plan on doing the fork oil when the head set bearings come out of her.
                    Another question, Does the 80 special use the front turn signals as running lights like the standards?
                    Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                    1978 XS500E
                    1979 XS1100F Restored
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    1981 Suzuki GS1100
                    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by 79XS11F View Post
                      Synced the carbs and she is running pretty good. Next up for the engine is valve adjustment and cam chain adjuster gasket replacement. Leaking like a sieve. I guess I will plan on doing the fork oil when the head set bearings come out of her.
                      Another question, Does the 80 special use the front turn signals as running lights like the standards?
                      Rob
                      No, specials don't use the front signals as running lights like standards do, they use single filament bulbs rather than dual like the standards.
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by 79XS11F View Post
                        I installed a new clutch cable after doing the internal clutch adjustment. When I went to hook up the cable at the level I see that it appears somewhat short. My question is, does the special make use of the lock wheel at the level. It seems that if the lock wheel was not in the set up the cable would be perfect. Note that the cable is the correct cable.
                        Rob
                        Yes, the special does use the lock wheel just like the standard does.
                        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                        Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                        750 FD Mod
                        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                          Yes, the special does use the lock wheel just like the standard does.
                          Hmmm, I guess I am going to have to shorten the cables outer casing or I will not be able to adjust the clutch normally. The clutch is used-loaded with all the normally used parts in place. This may be why the PO did not have the locking wheel in place. Hope the clutch is not messed up somehow.
                          Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                          1978 XS500E
                          1979 XS1100F Restored
                          1980 XS1100 SG
                          1981 Suzuki GS1100
                          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                            No, specials don't use the front signals as running lights like standards do, they use single filament bulbs rather than dual like the standards.
                            OK, that means someone has switched out the bulb holders or is using turn signals from a different model with round lenses that did use the the front or back signals as marker lights. It's easy enough to fix in any case. I'll pull the guts out of the signals from my 79 special parts collection.
                            Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                            1978 XS500E
                            1979 XS1100F Restored
                            1980 XS1100 SG
                            1981 Suzuki GS1100
                            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Great buy!

I've got a full dress special & love it. Got a naked standard, but they're different colors, so can't really change things over without paint.You'll like the special cruiser.

Good luck!
                              Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                              stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

first xs special

had a kz1100 couldnt get title issues fixed bought a 81 with 20,000 miles on it rode a month...topend hard to find pistons....had carbs clearned before first ride....after rebuild had to rejet....plus guages ,front forks,new head light ears, now guess what ppl old starter will not crank over new top end so starter , and in need of back tire, went from 650.00 to 1700 plus quick are there really worth it i cant quit and cant sell like it is please help me with what to do when she is right i see some do 100,000 and hope i am through after the starter comes in.....just dont know...she will FLY now but will not crank...
                                windjammer gump
                                bikes now own
                                1981xs1100sh special
                                1971 cb 350
                                mini chopper project
                                bikes use to own
                                1978 750/four..
                                1983kz1100 ltd

Comment

Working...
                                X