My stable has doubled!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are those carbs Hitachi's or Mikunis?
    One problem with the 850's are they came with Hitachis, which are hard to find hard parts for.No aftermarket jets.They are harder to tune.You can get gasket sets and float valves though.The preferred fix is to use the 750's Mikuni carbs.You can rejet and adjust the same as the 1100's.
    Although on my XS850G I have now, I rebuilt the Hitachi's and they run good.
    The SG I sold the neighbor kid has the Mikuni's, which I also rebuilt. Both run well.The Hitachi's are a PITA to get the jets out of.You usually have to soak the jet towers in cleaner to break down the orings around the jets to get them out without damaging them.If you damage them,good luck replacing them.
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Actually, I thought I had seen "mikuni" on them, but I just went to check, and I can't be sure. I do know that Georgefix sells a kit that looks like it contains the right parts. The bodies of the carbs actually split apart, and have a gasket horizontally through them. They have 3 press-fit jets (one won't come out), and a spring-loaded retainer in the float bowl to keep them pressed in. There is what looks like an emulsion tube under each of the 3 jets too.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Do you realize what you have done?!?

Now I must find a triple to go with my seat! I actually thought about it already to put something together for my son, but didn't do anything about it till I saw your sweet deal.

I like the widened tank. And the rear fender - is that stock? Looks long for a Yamaha.

John
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
          And the rear fender - is that stock? Looks long for a Yamaha.
          The rear fender has been extended. If you look on the underside, you can see the "lip" where it originally ended. About 6" or so have been added to the end of it. Unfortunately, I don't have the license plate light that mounts on the fender, below the plate.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Actually the jets are not really pressed in.They are held in by the oring and the spring retainer.The oring just kind of glues it together after a while.
            Your new ones will go in quite easily.And yea, those are Hitachis.
            80 SG XS1100
            14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Originally posted by tarzan View Post
              Actually the jets are not really pressed in.They are held in by the oring and the spring retainer.The oring just kind of glues it together after a while.
              Your new ones will go in quite easily.And yea, those are Hitachis.
              Well, they are "pressed in" just as much as the needle seats in the later XS11 carbs are. They are jus not "screwed in". Good to know about the brand though. I need to find a diagram on the circuitry in them though.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

There is a diagram on the triples site.Very good info that lays out where all the jets go to as I recall. Just have to search for that thread.I will take a quick look to see if I can find it.

Found this.If it works.
                http://www.yamaha-triples.org/librar...achimanual.pdf
                Last edited by tarzan; 10-03-2010, 06:30 PM.
                80 SG XS1100
                14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Thanks! After looking at that, I realized that it was just chapter 4 of the manual! I think I need to get to some reading this week.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                  X