My stable has doubled!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My stable has doubled!

Well, I fell victim to the allure of owning more than one bike. I found an XS850 Special on Craigslist this week, and picked it up for $150. It's almost all there, and someone has done some "creative" things to it, so I'll be working on obtaining some parts over the coming months. The main issue is a title problem, but I have some leads on getting that sorted out. I'm told the top end was "re-done" by the owner before last, and the kicker turns the engine over with audible compression out the pipes.

I'll post some pictures when the sun comes up, but a short list of the things I'll be doing is as follows:

Get the right seat (the one I have is a plastic pan??)
    Get OEM Special handlebars (anyone have extras they don't want?)
    Replace the fuse block (I'll be contacting TC shortly)
    All the regular "neglected bike" stuff (oils, brakes, tires, etc.)
    Get some sidecover emblems
    Maybe get an OEM tank (this tank is MUCH wider than stock, but it does fit)

Oh, does anyone have an XS850SG manual in digital format?
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Now, you may join another forum!

http://www.yamaha-triples.org/
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Already did!
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

I've got a manual for the 750 2D if you want it. Say the word and I'll upload it to your site.

also check this link for some good info on rebuilding final drives, amonst other things.
        1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
          I've got a manual for the 750 2D if you want it. Say the word and I'll upload it to your site.
          Thanks, but I think I already have that one (the OEM manual). I'm hoping for a Clymers for the XS850 (unless yours is a Clymers). I'm not sure how similar the 750/850 are, but I assume there is some variation, similar to the 1100 models?
          1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Yeah it is the OEM manual. Years ago I had a 750 standard and a friend had the 850 Special. Apart from bore and piston size, the engine and drive train are identical, but thats about where it stops.
            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
              I found an XS850 Special on Craigslist
              I'll post some pictures when the sun comes up, but a short list of the things I'll be doing is as follows:

Get the right seat (the one I have is a plastic pan??)
              Get OEM Special handlebars (anyone have extras they don't want?)
              Replace the fuse block (I'll be contacting TC shortly)
              All the regular "neglected bike" stuff (oils, brakes, tires, etc.)
              Get some sidecover emblems
              Maybe get an OEM tank (this tank is MUCH wider than stock, but it does fit)
              Oh, does anyone have an XS850SG manual in digital format?
              Hi 'Bug,
              my son has an XS750 Special so I have some familiarity with the Yamatriples.
              I'm looking at your wants list;
              The XS750 seat pans seem to rust into iron lace; it took Eric over a year to e-find a decent replacement for his.
              If your seat fits good, I'd say stay with it.
              You really want those rototiller 'bars? And a smaller tank? (I shakes me head in puzzlement)
              You can still buy a Clymer's XS750/850 manual BTW.
              Eric discarded his left sidecover when the right one fell off in the road someplace; alas that it's emblem says "XS750 Special" so it won't suit you.
              If he ever gets his rig back together again I'll post a photo.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I sold an 80 XS850 Special this summer to a neighbor kid.It has a plastic seat pan.The 80 XS 850 Standard I have has the steel pan. And as Fred said, the pans are prone to rust.The bad news on the plastic pan is that if you need to recover it, it is a pain to get staples to penetrate it.At least it was on mine.
                So I believe you have the correct pan.The Standard and Special seats do not interchange as they latch differently.The tanks wont interchange either.
                Ive had four triples and have quite a few parts still.Mostly Standard parts though.So if you need parts you can PM me and I'll check for you.I kno wi dont have Special side covers or the seat or tank.But I have tranys and engine parts and other stuff.
                80 SG XS1100
                14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Seat

I dont know what kind of dough you are going to put into the 850 but I have a nice gel cushion seat from a 750 that has an adjustable backrest built in that swivels from driver to passenger depending. I paid $300 thinking it would fit the xs11 but no-go. I put it on the Triple forum for $175 +ship but would let you have it for $150 free shipping included. You've done alot for the board so you get a special price. (all you other scallywags not a chance!)

I will see if I can get a pbucket acct to post a pic.

Nice deal for a buck fifty. I'd buy one too at that price.

John
                  John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                  '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                  Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Do the xs1100 tanks fit? I have three black specials in the garage.
                    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                    1981 LH

Comment

Seat pic

Last edited by Ken Talbot; 10-02-2010, 11:36 PM. Reason: fixed image link
                      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

FWIW, I don't think a XS750 seat will fit the 850.I could be wrong, but I would check it out first. I do know the XS750F seat I have would not fit on either of my XS850's,standard or special.
                        Also, the XS1100 tanks will not fit the triples,too big.
                        80 SG XS1100
                        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Ok, here are some pictures:

A few random parts:

Melted Reg/Rect plug:

Fred - As you may have noticed, I'm a bit of a purist. I prefer everything to be put back to the stock condition if at all possible - Especialy the visible stuff. This tank is much wider than stock, but the tunnel is a perfect fit, so I'm not sure what the PO did. Maybe a custom tank? I may just stick with it. I actually LIKE the rototiller bars - they fit me perfectly. These mini apes just have to go... I have a laundry list of parts I'll need, so I'll be hitting up the Triples forum and see what I can snag.

John - Thanks for the offer on the seat, but I think I'll stick with what I've got, and just re-cover it.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Bug,

You aren't the only one who likes the "rototiller" bars. I'm comfortable with them too.
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                              - - - I actually LIKE the rototiller bars - they fit me perfectly. These mini apes just have to go... I have a laundry list of parts I'll need, so I'll be hitting up the Triples forum and see what I can snag. - - -
                              Hi 'Bug,
                              what can I say? If the rototillers fit you, your wrists and elbows must be at right angles to mine, eh?
                              I actually have a rototiller 'bar in nice shape.
                              I'd offer it to you but the postage would be more than the price of a new one from MikesXS.
                              As with the XS11 there's scads of stuff in Mike's catalog that'll fit an XS850
                              so a big enough order would bring the 'bar to you post free.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X