Tired of this 80 XS11 S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 80 Special View Post
    My wife don't want me to put any more money into it and I think she is tired of me working on it..
    So how are you gonna manage a trike project?
    1981 XS1100SH

Comment

That was my question, cause a trike is gonna cost a lot more and take a lot more time than fixing up an old bike.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

A trike project would be even more of a money pit. A rebuilt and refurbished XS1100 would return a good profit. But only a fool would buy someone's hobby project trike.
        1981 XS1100SH

Comment

Just Crazy OR INSANE?

You know I might be crazy for thinking of doing such a project, BUT on the other hand, I have never had that much trouble with a car engine. These are nice bikes, don't get me wrong!! It justs seems like I have not had any luck with this one and after a year of not riding it, I am ready to go on to something else.. Also, there are more car junk yards than bike ones here in Indiana.. I have had several bikes and not much luck with any of them, so I thinking bikes must not be my thing...

Comment

Not Sure What To Say?

I want to thank some of you for pushing me to try and get this running before I give up.. I REALLY want to thank DGXSER (Don) for talking to me and coming to my house and showing me what I needed to change on the carbs and also for looking over the things that I have done. After, just changing the pilot jets to the correct ones and rechecking every thing else, it is actually idling, not like before. I still have to recheck sync, but I have to get another vacuum gauge first. So, for now, things are looking good and I just might keep it for a while now.. But everyone knows, everything has a price, and a trike as a project I think would be fun, but not to soon now.. Hopefully, I can post some pictures soon.... THANKS EVERYONE!!!

Comment

Awesome Ray!!! I could barely hear it on the phone the other day, and the stupid dog had ate something so my son was freaking out.

Glad to know one more is running well. I'm sure I'll be back that way this coming week. Probably Tuesday. So if you or 1st would like a pop-in to see whats up, I'll bring my colortune and synch gage with me.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

That's so cool! Almost brings a tear to my eye! Be patient with it, and you'll fight to keep it eventually. The more you work on it, the more attached you'll get.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

Looking up

After all the headaches and trouble, I actually rode it today and really didn't have any issues as far as the carbs go.. It didn't bog down in fifth gear at 35mph, to me that was great and idled along in first gear.. Now comes readjusting the valves and working on the clutch., I guess that will be the winter thing..

Comment

Glad you guys got her up and running, awesome.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                    X