Tired of this 80 XS11 S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tired of this 80 XS11 S

Has anyone ever had enough of the headache of trying to figure out what to try next on getting one to run right? I am so frustrated with the issues of this thing and now I am ready to move on. The list of things that I have done to this is more than it is worth. I have had it a little over a year and only put 40 or 50 miles on it. So if anyone out there would like 3/4 of a bike, I am willing to negotiate on prices.. I would like to at least keep the front end and frame to possibly build a Trike. It has 35,700 miles on it.. I would like some feed back on this if possible.. I live in Indiana..

Originally posted by 80 Special View Post
    Has anyone ever had enough of the headache of trying to figure out what to try next on getting one to run right? I am so frustrated with the issues of this thing and now I am ready to move on. The list of things that I have done to this is more than it is worth. I have had it a little over a year and only put 40 or 50 miles on it. So if anyone out there would like 3/4 of a bike, I am willing to negotiate on prices.. I would like to at least keep the front end and frame to possibly build a Trike. It has 35,700 miles on it.. I would like some feed back on this if possible.. I live in Indiana..
    Hi 80 Special,
    I feel your pain. As I am nearly 2 years into mine. I think we finally have her running right. I say we because it has taken 3 Gurus and me to get her to this stage. So yes I oo was tempted to give up sometimes.
    Could not have done it with out
    Big Daddy Funk Tinman905 and HamJam.
    I have not seen you post here before so now you have found this source of information you should be able to make some progress.
    Plenty of spare frames and front ends available to build a trike too if you want.
    Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Yep, plenty of people to help you here, jusy ask away to get the ball rolling.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Hi Ray,
        apart from the whining noise, what exactly does the bike do or not do?
        BTW, if the bike has a valid title don't cut up the frame. A complete titled frame has a good resale value for the guys trying to un-butcher a PO's attempt at building a trike.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Don't give up on it just yet. I can understand the frustration, but there are plenty of folks here who are more than happy to walk you through just about any issue you might be having with your bike. If you explain what you're experiencing, it's almost guranteed that someone on here has dealt with exactly the same problem.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

list of things that I have done to this is more than it is worth
            The most endearing qualities of the XS11 are that it’s reasonably easy to work on (for me), powerful, reliable and low cost (cheep ).

For those who plan or want to be XSives
            Read the entire manual. Get acquainted with the wiring diagram.
            Read thru the tech tips here.

Reading the manual and tech tips will help you ask pertinent questions should you not be able to resolve a problem on your own and the gurus here will not have to play 20 questions to answer yours.

If your Special is stock (exhaust, carbs and air box) then it should not be too difficult to resolve any issues.

Good Luck
            (or hopefully better luck)
            getting yours running right.

mro

Comment

Hey 80 special, there are a grou of XSives around your area (Indianapolis). And a good group of us here in the Cincinnati-Dayton area. Be glad to give you some info on how to get the machine running like a champ.

And if needed or desired, me and another XSive often are willing to share our man caves and knowledge to help out if you were interested in bringing the bike down. Or I do get up near Noblesville and Indy often for work, could pop in and see what we can figure out in an evening.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

xs11.com

this is just what i have come to expect from the best group on the net! and every time i,m amazed at you determination to help another xser ,,thank you the phils ,mro,dgxser,Freddy and the bug, you stepped up ! ride safe ,,slow mo!
                The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
                moemcnally@hotmail.com
                i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Thanks everyone..

I may fairly new to the xs1100 but not new to bikes. This is the one that has really given me the most trouble.. I have had a Virago 920 that set for a few years and made it run, also had a 850 Midnight Special that I bought from someone with no first gear and drove it a couple of years that way, and a couple others like Honda 350, Honda V65.. Traded the V65 for a Sand Rail Dune Buggy.. Anyway, Thanks for the info...

Comment

i live in fishers, what is the deal with the bike? how are the carbs? lemme know what you are looking to off load if you don't wanna get it going. i'll help turn a wrench if i can, when i can. and DGXSER is a nice dude, knows WAY more than i do, and has been willing to help me on more than one occasion. speaking of don, when are you in town next?
                    1980 XS 1100 Special (working to be my daily ride)

Comment

Have to see 1st. We hired a guy that lives in Indy to take some of my load off. So I do not get up that way as much now. But probably in the next few weeks.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

You still keeping that bike?

hey I'm in Indiana also and my brother has some love for my XS11. If you are looking to get rid of your I'd be interested in buying it, after a few differnt bikes over the years I really like the XS. If you still want a trike setup, mabey I could trade you a frame also. (so you don't have to chop up that one)

Comment

I really think I am done!!

I am real sorry to say, I think it has to go... My wife don't want me to put any more money into it and I think she is tired of me working on it..
                          So, to those who gave me suggestions, THANKS... So, to whoever reads this, message me and I can give you a rundown on what I have put into it and go from there if you want to make and offer... I just can't seem to get any where on it, so maybe someone else can..

Comment

Sorry to hear that... Tinkering with machines isn't for everyone, I guess. Hopefully you can get a decent deal, and a new owner will be able to make her roar again!
                            1980 XS850SG - Sold
                            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                            -H. Ford

Comment

I am real sorry to say, I think it has to go... My wife don't want me to put any more money into it and I think she is tired of me working on it..
                              So, to those who gave me suggestions, THANKS... So, to whoever reads this, message me and I can give you a rundown on what I have put into it and go from there if you want to make and offer... I just can't seem to get any where on it, so maybe someone else can..
                              If you stilll have it,contact me and I can possibly tell you what's wrong.I've owned several and have forgotten how much money invested.Mine will haul ass,and still runs great today

Comment

Working...
                              X