X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bug,
    Couldn't have said it better myself!!

Al,
    If you look up motorcycle specific laws, statutes, in FL you will find that requirement, as well as others. Such as the statute which specifies that ape hanger bars must NOT be higher than the rider's shoulder. Yet again enforment is up to the officer, if he/she is even aware of the requirement.
    Go figure!!
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

I never would spend the time OR money...

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
      JOhn,

The bike looks nice, but why spend all the time and money trying to imitate a Triumph that will not fool anyone?

As I have not enough of either!

But I thought it was the best attention to detail I had seen - making decals and such for the engine cases, etc.

Seems like it would have been easier to just get a Triumph - but maybe he had a parts bike and figured WTH?

People do strange and unusual things in their spare time!

John in San Antonio
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Too much government has killed a lot more fun than riders. A fine in excess of $1K for a misplaced license plate is ridiculous, and a good reason to give the law a run for their money; bet they didn't think of that. Living very modestly, a fine of that nature would represent close to 10% of my yearly adjusted income, and does little more than make the humble citizen fear law rather than respect it.

Personally, I now get speed out of my system on a closed course or drag strip, but have occasionally been blind sided by goofy laws that seem to have little rhyme or reason other than to generate income. My escapades in Florida ocurred back in the 1970's and US19 (and the law in general) are major reasons I left. My room-mate and I were playing in front of our house on dead end street one day practicing wheelies and I had to pee; he made a few more passes and sadly a rookie saw him through the trees.

After the Judge was done with him, he spent 60 days in jail, lost his job, and could not afford the impound fees so lost his bike too. How sad, and a very unjust punishment when a modest fine and slap on the wrist would have been sufficient to discourage his antics - heck, he was only a dumb kid much like myself. I left when he was in jail (couldn't afford the rent), and he left too as soon as they took the shackles and striped suit off.

Now, he is a Chemical Engineer for a major plastics firm in the midwest, and well, I am still a Yamanatic. Did that action help either of us, or the state of Florida for that matter? No way. I would NEVER set foot in that state ever again, nor would he. Inflexible laws and irrational punishments are eroding our freedoms to the point of destroying the American spirit.

As an aside, if you have ever owned a vintage Triumph, you know why it is better to build a non-brit bike to look like one. The British knew more about style than any other company before or since, but something about going for a ride and returning home on your bike instead of looking at it in the back of your truck...
        Sure it's gonna make some noise, there's GAS exploding in there!

Comment

Bug,
          Couldn't have said it better myself!!

Al,
          If you look up motorcycle specific laws, statutes, in FL you will find that requirement, as well as others. Such as the statute which specifies that ape hanger bars must NOT be higher than the rider's shoulder. Yet again enforment is up to the officer, if he/she is even aware of the requirement.
          Go figure!!
          Thanks for the info both of you. I'll check into those.
          It just surprises me since I work part time at a very popular Yamaha dealer (Cahill's Yamaha) by my house and you see all kinds of riders and what they ride. According to this, most would be violating some law.
          I had heard of a few, like ridiculous fines on wheelies and having a vertically mounted license plate and they lost that case in court.
          79 XS1100F.
          SuperTrapp 4-1 w/center stand.
          TC's fuse box.
          SOFA filter.
          Venture cam chain adjuster.
          Tkat fork brace.
          Progressive fork springs.

Comment

AL,
            Who lost the case? The law or the rider? As I mentioned, it all depends on the officer whether the law gets enforced or not.

Yamanatic,
            I think the fines are totally excessive myself. But on the other hand, FL was one of the first states to repeal the helmet requirement. Makes you wonder about the logic behind all this mess.

And to top it all off, as of August of last year the state no longer provides any of the tests to get your mc endorsement. You have to take the course from one of the approved schools that provide it. Before this change the courses usually ran about $150, after the law went into effect the cost is now close to $300. Go figure, they said it's because of the liabilty to the state if people sue them for giving them the endorsment without proper safety training.
            1980G Standard, Restored
            Kerker 4 - 1
            850 Rear End Mod
            2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
            Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
            Automatic CCT
            1980GH Special, Restored
            Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
            '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
            Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

they said it's because of the liabilty to the state if people sue them for giving them the endorsment without proper safety training.
              Gotta love our sue-happy society... Can't blame the gov't for that one..
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

Cobia.

[QUOTE=Cobia;296986]AL,
                Who lost the case? The law or the rider? As I mentioned, it all depends on the officer whether the law gets enforced or not.

The state lost the case when they got sued by someone given a ticket for having a vertically mounted plate. It is no longer an issue. The wheelie laws seem to be the most enforced and are pretty strict.
                79 XS1100F.
                TC's fuse box.
                SOFA filter.
                Tkat fork brace.

Comment

Tropic-Al; Cahills huh? Many moons ago, Cycle Springs was my home, back when Ron Tichnor and Steve Martin were at the helm. Lots have changed at both places in the last 20+ years. I still remember the rivalry at Sunshine Dragstrip every Friday night :-0 Rain or shine (rain mostly), and a trip down that dreaded 19...

I still do business with Brad H., having gone the race route of late. So, where's those rod kits? Haha.

Cheers,
                  warren
                  Sure it's gonna make some noise, there's GAS exploding in there!

Comment

Yamanatic, quite a coincidence!!

[QUOTE=Yamanatic;297551]Tropic-Al; Cahills huh? Many moons ago, Cycle Springs was my home, back when Ron Tichnor and Steve Martin were at the helm. Lots have changed at both places in the last 20+ years. I still remember the rivalry at Sunshine Dragstrip every Friday night :-0 Rain or shine (rain mostly), and a trip down that dreaded 19...
                    I still do business with Brad H., having gone the race route of late. So, where's those rod kits? Haha.

I work for Mark Ridgeway and told him about your comments. He remembers all the folks mentioned, especially Brad. He is still a customer from far away. Quite a coincidence, around 9/14 Brad put in an order for parts. The rods you mentioned and some other bearing ( I think) have not arrived. You can be sure everything will be mailed as soon as they do.
                    Are these parts for your bike? There are some Suzuki parts in the list also.
                    Take care. It was cool to bring up this connection to your past.
                    79 XS1100F.
                    TC's fuse box.
                    SOFA filter.
                    Tkat fork brace.

Comment

Working...
                    X