Nice restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice restoration

Not an XS but I thought all you modifiers!!! might get some ideas from this one. Looks nice to me.

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/mcy/1942491078.html
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Isn't that an illegal license plate mount for Florida?
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

You're totally correct, Bug.
      I guess he doesn't ride it too much, or the cops don't know all the rules. I lean toward the latter.....lol!!
      1980G Standard, Restored
      Kerker 4 - 1
      850 Rear End Mod
      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
      Automatic CCT
      1980GH Special, Restored
      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

If he lives on US-19 (dont know whare Tequesta is), all you have to do is split lanes and there isn't a cop in the world that can get through traffic to catch you.
        Sure it's gonna make some noise, there's GAS exploding in there!

Comment

What about the ones on motorcycles? I know here, that if you think you can get away that way ponch and jon have something to say to you as they pull up on their BMW's.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

You Cali bikers are crazy. Last time I was in L.A. I just about jumped out of my Ranger (Picking up a nice pair of RZ's) when a very crisp (and loud - had my window open) Busa slid between the gridlocked traffic lanes of the interstate parking lot giong at least 50 mph more than traffic. I didn't see one accident either! Apparently 'splitting' is legal there as most bikes I saw (except the dressers that would not fit), did the same. Do the car drivers just change lanes constantly out of boredom? Wow, what a place!

Near Tarpon Springs Florida where I lived for a few years, there were no 2 wheeled Gumballs. US-19 was a perpetual parking lot; 8 lanes of pseudo freeway with a stop light every 1000 yards. Mostly retirees and New Yorkers. An unbelieveable free for all as drivers tried to outdo each other in attempts to be rude and obnoxious. I once rode my YZ250 to work (9 miles), and only saw one Black-n-White who didn't even bother to summon Officer Motorola. I was one of the lucky ones who didn't get hurt or killed by a 4 to 18 wheeler.

I don't know if they did away with inspections since, but where I was in Fla, every vehicle went through an inspection much like the MOT cert in the U.K. They checked everything almost down to the point of seeing if you were wearing undies. They even checked handlebar height - they had to be in the STRIKE zone, or You're Out! Many riders had two exhausts; one for inspection and one for the rest of the year, haha.
            Sure it's gonna make some noise, there's GAS exploding in there!

Comment

Yeah, California is the only state in the country where lane splitting is legal. I guess they had enough crazy riders in the government one year to pass that one. Florida is pretty good about inspections, from what I've heard. They even check headlight allignment on cages to make sure they aren't pointing up in the air. No safety inspection at all in California though - just emissions.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

There haven't been safety inspections in FL for as long as I can remember. The only inspections they had were for emmissions and those went by the wayside about 10 yrs ago. Their logic..... most cars registered and on the road at the time were newer and most passed inspections as well.
                Lane splitting is not legal here AFAIK.
                But the seniors and distracted cagers keep killing riders by turning in front of them. Every time I hear of a rider death it's the same thing, "old fart cut accross lanes, or turned right onto their paths".
                Hwy 19 is just about in the middle of the state, Tequesta is on the east coast. Most if not all PDs around here have motorcycle patrolmen.
                1980G Standard, Restored
                Kerker 4 - 1
                850 Rear End Mod
                Automatic CCT
                1980GH Special, Restored
                '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

Not sure a pair of clip ons make a cafe racer though. Maybe with another seat and lose the rear fender you might have a start at one.
                  Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

I don't think it's intended as a 'cafe racer', more like a British road racer of the '60s and '70s.
                    1980G Standard, Restored
                    Kerker 4 - 1
                    850 Rear End Mod
                    Automatic CCT
                    1980GH Special, Restored
                    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                      Yeah, California is the only state in the country where lane splitting is legal. I guess they had enough crazy riders in the government one year to pass that one.
                      Actually, most things are legal until a law is passed to make them illegal. We aren't all crazy in California and the lack of any legislation forbidding lane sharing is just one proof that some of the lights are still on and someone is home up in Sacramento.

Except for the change in scenery I really don't like riding outside of California, especially in traffic. I like being able to go where I want when I want on my bike and laws that forbid lane sharing effectively ruin one of the best advantages of riding a motorcycle in the first place.

If you do ride in California, remember: it is lane sharing. You are sharing a lane with another vehicle and they don't actually have to yield the right of way to you so you should be polite, respectful and not buzz people at 50 MPH when they're stuck in traffic. Also, the Basic Speed Law forbids driving/riding any faster than it is safe to do so regardless of the posted speed limit.

Sadly, not everyone 'gets' it, especially Squids with their squidly ways and people visiting California from other countries or out of state that are so overwhelmed with the very concept of freedom of movement on a motorcycle that they forget that it's a courtesy and a privilege extended to them by all of the other drivers on the road, not a right.

No safety inspection at all in California though - just emissions.
                      Oh, don't worry, some bright spark brings it up every year and, so far, every year it gets put on the back burner and forgotten until the next year.
                      -- Scott
                      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                      1979 XS1100F: parts
                      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

unusual Yamaha mods - Triumph look alike

Here is another unusual Yamaha modification

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamah...37092608#v4-42

It would fool me, but I am not a big Triumph fan - of course they would know instantly it isn't real but it still looks fun.

John in San Antonio
                        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

JOhn,

The bike looks nice, but why spend all the time and money trying to imitate a Triumph that will not fool anyone?
                          1980G Standard, Restored
                          Kerker 4 - 1
                          850 Rear End Mod
                          Automatic CCT
                          1980GH Special, Restored
                          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

Please enlighten me on this.

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                            Isn't that an illegal license plate mount for Florida?
                            Hi guys.
                            Could Bug or Cobia tell me why it is illegal to have the license plate such as the Honda 750 has?
                            I have never heard of such a law in FL.
                            Thanks.
                            al
                            79 XS1100F.
                            SuperTrapp 4-1 w/center stand.
                            TC's fuse box.
                            SOFA filter.
                            Venture cam chain adjuster.
                            Tkat fork brace.
                            Progressive fork springs.

Comment

Originally posted by Tropic-al View Post
                              Hi guys.
                              Could Bug or Cobia tell me why it is illegal to have the license plate such as the Honda 750 has?
                              I have never heard of such a law in FL.
                              Thanks.
                              al
                              There is a rather specific law in Florida about how and where a license plate must be mounted. Something about it being dead center of the vehicle, and visible from a certain angle on both sides. Here's a lawyer's website that details it more. It's a $1,141.00 fine for the first offense! Most states actually have laws about how and where a plate must be mounted, but they are less specific for bikes than they are for cages. Of course, it's always up to the cops to enforce the law or not.
                              Last edited by CatatonicBug; 09-13-2010, 07:54 PM.
                              1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X