My son has left the reservation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My son has left the reservation

Saturday we drove down to Richmond VA so my son, Chris, could pick up a 2007 FZ-1 for $3K. (Rented the same trailer we used the previuos weekend to retrieve my 78E.) Chris also got a tailbag and 3 helmets with the deal. He has been rather excited about getting his own bike and has been watching the various forums for good deals on FZ-1s. But I think it would be difficult to 2 up with gear in case my ride breaks again!

I'm a little dismayed that he's turning away from th XS11 but he said that the XS11 was my bike, he wanted HIS bike. However, my purpose was to introduce him to motorcycle riding. So far he has ridden within his limits and has been riding on his own for a few weeks.

So now I begin training son #2.

And when you put an FZ-1 on centerstand be careful when grabbing the back of the bike, the two exhausts are right under the seat. My fingers will remember that.
    Darrell
    78E
    80G project
    06FJR

Aint nothing wrong with a FZ1. But that sounds like a very good deal also.
    Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Darrell you taught him well. Chris is a fine young man and rider too. Somehow i'm not surprised that he would want a bike more in line with his generation. Give him my regards
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Have you thought about putting him in a riding program to learn some things that may help him save his butt and get a heads up on self preservation?

Im hearing from experianced riders that they are learning things in these programs. Kinda peeking my interest in going to one, if anything for the ****s n giggles.

Comment

My oldest is 23 now. He learned to ride on one of my 11s. He rode one of them for two years then bought a yzf(?) 600 r or something to that effect. Like chris, he is very mature for his age and rides cautiously.
          He likes it; it's too fast and light for me though... Whatever makes them happy.
          "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
          1981 LH

Comment

He did take the basic MS course which is required in VA. Between that, OJT and 2 XSEasts he's a competent rider and not prone to the crazy stuff. He's planning on taking it to VMI and I'm sure his judgement will be put to the test there if some of his fellow classmen like to clean out the pipes.

Originally posted by Rstyduck View Post
            Have you thought about putting him in a riding program to learn some things that may help him save his butt and get a heads up on self preservation?

Im hearing from experianced riders that they are learning things in these programs. Kinda peeking my interest in going to one, if anything for the ****s n giggles.
            Darrell
            78E
            80G project
            06FJR

Comment

Chris is gonna do fine on that new fangled up to date bike Darrell!! Good for him....
              80 SG
              81 SH in parts
              99 ST1100
              91 ST1100

Comment

Darrell: Chris made a fine choice of bikes. Great deal too!
                I just bought one myself and can attest to how great of a bike it is. Once you ride it a few times, you'll probably be getting one too!
                Mark

Comment

I stand corrected

Chris read the post and said, its a FZ-6. I stand corrected.
                  Darrell
                  78E
                  80G project
                  06FJR

Comment

Chris rode his bike back down to VMI two weekends ago. I was going to ride with him halfway but my 78E started losing power a bit so I turned back after 15 miles. Of course when he arrived a VMI he picked up a speeding ticket.

This past Sunday he called me in the morning to tell me he hit a deer.
                    "In the jeep?"
                    "No"
                    "On your motorcycle?"
                    "Yes"
                    "Are you hurt?"
                    "No, just a bruised leg and ankle."
                    "Is the bike still rideable?"
                    "Yes"
                    "Any damage?"
                    "The fairing is cracked and the left headlight lens is gone."
                    "Oh, well I guess you can find one on Ebay. Probably will run your $400. Now, Chris, for the hard part. You're going to have to tell your mother and I'm going the have to hear about it."

Don't bad things happen in threes? I'm waiting for the last shoe to drop.
                    Darrell
                    78E
                    80G project
                    06FJR

Comment

All that matters is the Son is ok. I know what you mean when you say you will have to hear about it, and i bet it was a lesson well learned by the Son about animals on the roads.
                      1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                      1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                      A quick death and an easy one.
                      A pretty girl and an honest one.
                      A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Glad he is ok!
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Rstyduck View Post
                          Hi Rusty,
                          full agreement from me on getting the boy into a riding program.
                          We bought the Saskatchewan Govt. approved riding course for our two boys for their 16th Birthday present and yeah, they are better riders than I am even with my many years experience.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

He's lucky, that's for sure! Glad he's ok. That walking roadkill is scary stuff!
                            1980 XS850SG - Sold
                            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                            -H. Ford

Comment

Having recently done battle with a deer myself, It made me cringe to read about him. Glad he is OK; if he just got a couple bruises he is one lucky man.
                              "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                              1981 LH

Comment

Working...
                              X