just this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just this weekend

hi all! on Friday i was out in the country enjoying a nice drive,,when i came upon a scene i wont soon forget ,a young man laying in the road his bike beside him ,,he had run into the back of some farm equipment that was turning into a lane,,i later found out he was dead,,on Saturday near rockwood i saw a bike and caboose in the ditch and on the radio a report of another dead biker in Cambridge!! i am not a doom and gloom type! please be careful out there the most natural position for a bike is on its side ,,RIDE SAFE ,,slow mo
    The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
    moemcnally@hotmail.com
    i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

We lost one here over the weekend. Sport bike passing on the shoulder around 3 in the morning...
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

Comment

We lost one here last week.
      51yr old rider got rear ended on the highway by a speeding drunk driver.

Comment

More and more I just feel lucky!!
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

You are lucky and the rest of us are lucky not to have lost you. (see, even I can be serious when the occasion deserves it).
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

It's sad to say the least.

A lot of accidents (not all by any means) could have been avoided with proper training and just being seen by other drivers. Those are the ones that hurt the most because they didn't have to be.
            '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
            Original except:
            120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
            4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
            Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
            All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
            Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

I think MOST (not all just most) accidents fall into the category of "didn't need to be". I hate to hear about any rider going down, and not be be flip about it, but I don't care at all about the bike, cause who really cares about the bike, it's about the rider, as even if every XS11 was wrecked, we could find other bikes to love and ride, but once a rider is gone, you will never find another the same, as each of us is unique. While this can be said of bikes, Ivan is a case in point, the bike could be rebuilt/re-created, but nobody can replace Ivan (or anybody else on here either).
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

agatt

i don,t know if this is one of our acronyms but this means all gear all the time it might seem cool to wear t shirt and shorts but in my opinion having been down and hospitalized for many months its not worth it ,,all gear all the time ,,i hope this helps someone ,,ride safe slow mo!
                The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
                moemcnally@hotmail.com
                i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

You know Mo, I have had many conversations with alot of people since my "incident" about protective gear. I will say this, nothing I could have worn could have prevented the injuries I received. Kevlar everything would not have stopped my bones form breaking. But, my full face helmet, now that is why I am still here. I did not get a picture before it went to the dump, but the face shield had a deep scratch the full height of it about where my right eye would be. And the entire right side had been scraped up and caked with mud. So without that helmet, my brains would be mushed in with the mud, and my right side of my face would have been torn up at best, probably lost the eye to boot.

Had one nurse tell me she wishes her husband would wear a helmet and she should to when they ride together, then tell me he will never wear one though, and would never accept her wearing one. I told her about my experience, and suggested she tell him she refuses to ride any more until he does, she said he'd leave her first.

And I do support wearing full protection. I had on jeans, boots, and a heavy winter coat with leather gloves. I had few if any abrasion wounds to my body. So even if it did not stop the bones fro breaking it still protected me as I rolled through brush and trees unconsious for 40 feet.

So living proof, the gear will let you live when guano occurs.

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Animals and other things

We lost one just east of here near Goshen,In. He hit a horse with his Harley, no helmet. Horse died also. Not sure if the horse was loose or pulling an Amish buggy. It hasn't been a good summer in this area for bikers. On one hand I am eager to go riding, so I keep trying to get the bike running, but every once in a while I think about what if....
                    1979XS1100SF
                    K&N's and drilled airbox
                    Jardine 4in1
                    Dunlop Elite 3's
                    JBM slide diaphragms
                    142.5 main jets
                    45 pilot jets
                    T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
                    750/850 FD mod.
                    XV 920 Needle Mod.
                    Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
                    Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

This One Thing

Many, many years ago, I adopted this motto, "People are more important than things." DGXSER, I think that that nurse, if she really thinks it over, will find out that she is living with a man that thinks things are more important than people. That must be a bad blow to their marriage. If in his self worship, he goes down on the road someday and ends up in the hospital, I wonder which would be more comforting to him, a loving wife to help him with every need, or, a handle bar or fender or gas tank propped up in chair in his room?? If he loses a friend or relative, will the front forks help him thru it better than a loving wife???? Think of the damage to his wife when she realizes that her husband loves her conditionally. In other words, he only loves her if she continually gives in to his selfish behavior.
                      I say it again, anytime you love things more than people, you lose!
                      Ole Jack
                      J.D."Jack" Smith
                      1980G&S "Halfbreed"
                      1978E straight job
                      "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

xs11jack

Very well stated..............
                        RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

True but with that said, Your bike dont care if you ride another bike.
                          Therefore, bikes are better than broads.

Comment

+1

Many, many years ago, I adopted this motto, "People are more important than things." DGXSER, I think that that nurse, if she really thinks it over, will find out that she is living with a man that thinks things are more important than people. That must be a bad blow to their marriage. If in his self worship, he goes down on the road someday and ends up in the hospital, I wonder which would be more comforting to him, a loving wife to help him with every need, or, a handle bar or fender or gas tank propped up in chair in his room?? If he loses a friend or relative, will the front forks help him thru it better than a loving wife???? Think of the damage to his wife when she realizes that her husband loves her conditionally. In other words, he only loves her if she continually gives in to his selfish behavior.
                            I say it again, anytime you love things more than people, you lose!
                            Ole Jack
                            That mentality of material things is real heavy with the HD group. I have had several discussions about helmets (forget ATGATT) and it's a no budge.
                            '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                            Original except:
                            120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                            4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                            Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                            All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                            Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Amen Brother!!!

Let me tell you from recent first hand experience at ALOT of what you described there. You can find yourself needing help doing things you would never expect to need help doing, and many you thought you would be doing on your own until you were at least 80 yo. I have never felt closer to my wife and family than I did and still do since the accident occured. Yep, like I said, in alot of ways I am VERY lucky!

Heck, I even got people like Cy saying their lucky I am still here. ( I know alot of you are thinking "He was serious about that?!")

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X