New XS1100H owner and new rider.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greets,

Pulled off the tank and covers, this is whats lurking under it all.

Nag.
    XS1100H 1981, First bike I have owned. New rider and new to everything XS11.

My other "TOY"
    1998 AC Thunder Cat, 1000cc 198hp Longtrack. She's dressed out as a AC 600 zrt (you'd never know unless you saw me start it ).

Nag.

Comment

Mix o' parts

Hey Nag,
      So far this is what I've noticed, as an XJ and XS owner, front rotors are XJ, but not the forks nor the rims. The headlight/signal lights/headlight ears seem to be XJ or off a special, and of course not the instruments. Frame does not look to be XJ because, from what I could see, it doesn't have the rienforcement crosstube on the frame down pipes from the stem. XJs have a reiforcement accross the frame just below the exhaust manifold. And I also don't see the oversize gusset XJs have behind the stem.
      Engine is not XJ, because it doesn't have the YICS plenum that shares the intake mixture among all cylinders, nor does it have the YICS designation on the engine side covers.
      Carbs are definitely not off an XJ, the 'choke' on the XJ is actuated via a cable from the left handlebar controls. You do have what appear to be two Midnight Special carb bowls on your 2 and 3 carbs. The final drive looks to be off an XJ or Midnight Special. Your rear shocks are not XJ either, no air. Nice tank, hope it's healthy inside.
      Hope that helps.
      1980G Standard, Restored
      Kerker 4 - 1
      850 Rear End Mod
      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
      Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
      Automatic CCT
      1980GH Special, Restored
      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Hey Cobia, the 81 model of the XS had that black final drive with the fins exposed like that. The ears I am certain are form a Special, the XJ ears angle up higher and would put the headlight about into the gages on an XS (bought the wrong ones once, BTDT printed the T-shirt ) Looks liek the vac sensor is not on the bike, but I have yet to have an XJ in my mancave to work on, so I am not certain. Also, is that the timing plate and assy from an XJ??

Nag, that wiring looks way out of kilter to me. I love what they did with the crimp ons. I am puzzled and or worried about the one connector that looks to go to the voltage regulator that is unplugged. That seems like it can not be good. But then, the bikes runs, so it must be set up somehow.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Hey Don,
          You're spot on about the ears and the headlamp assembly, as I recall the headlamp bucket on the XJ is a lot flatter/shallower than the one on the special. I didn't know that the final drive of the 81 special looked the same as on the XJ..... good to know.
          I didn't see the vac sensor either, it's usually bolted to the frame below the tank just about mid way. And I've actually never seen my timing plate, fortunately, but being that it doesn't require any vacuum it leads me to believe that it might be XJ along with the TCI. I wonder if they also replaced the tired XS alternator with the XJ alternator. If so, he would need to use the XJ regulator?????
          1980G Standard, Restored
          Kerker 4 - 1
          850 Rear End Mod
          2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
          Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
          Automatic CCT
          1980GH Special, Restored
          Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
          Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Greets,

The tank is about the only thing clean and not cobbled So I'm thinking I might want to get a hold of a complete, compatible, and unmolested wire harness and start from scratch with the correct components.

Nag.

My other "TOY"
            1998 AC Thunder Cat, 1000cc 198hp Longtrack. She's dressed out as a AC 600 zrt (you'd never know unless you saw me start it ).

Nag.

Comment

Well, think it through and look at things. As I stated earlier, I have a pretty clean 81 Special wiring harness, although I am fairly certain it would be different from a standard harness, I'm sure what the differences would be. Also have the complete timing assy with a vac advance and pick up coils etc. Like I stated before, I know some have run on the 81 timing assy with an XJ TCI and had no problems. You would still get the mech advance effect from the TCI, and the vac advance is not tied to the TCI so it would function.

I would also invest in one of TC's fuse boxes. Would do alot to clean up that wiring snarl where the fuses should be.

What I started with, no fuses, at all

the main fuse....or not.

After installing the fuse box and making a mounting plate similar to the original ones.

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Greets,

So maybe I should stick to the xj tci and pick up a vacuum sensor? What version harness would you guys suggest?

Nag.

My other "TOY"

Nag.

Comment

Correction, my previous post should have said, I am NOT sure what the differences are between the standard wiring harness and the special wiring harness.

The vacuum sensor would complete the XJ timing system you have installed.

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                  X