Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New XS1100H owner and new rider.

Greets,

Hello XS11 members!! New guy here. I'm new to street bikes (rode a dirt bike a few times years ago) and decided to start looking for something to get me started. Being a bigger guy (6' 270#'s) it was suggested that I should look for a fairly larger bike to begin with, at least a 1000cc or better. Low and behold while scanning CL I came across a 1981 XS1100H bobber that looked "ok" and for the price I couldn't let it slip. Knowing full well that I would have to spend money, time, and effort to get this ride running great and looking the way I would like. So this past Friday I bought, insured, and plated my new (to me anyways) XS11. I had to get a new battery and charge it up so no riding on Friday, but sure the hell put over a hundred on her today. :P

Nag.
    XS1100H 1981, First bike I have owned. New rider and new to everything XS11.

My other "TOY"
    1998 AC Thunder Cat, 1000cc 198hp Longtrack. She's dressed out as a AC 600 zrt (you'd never know unless you saw me start it ).

Nag.

Welcome to XS11ness Nag.... So, what do you think of your new ride so far?
    And how bout a picture, we love pictures here especially pics of XS11's... Pics of hot chicks on XS11's are even better.

Comment

Welcome aboard! You definitely found the right place for info on your new ride. If you need a manual, you can download one from the link in my signature. To post pictures, here's a thread with instructions. We like pictures, and since your bike isn't stock, it will really help to see how it's been altered when answering questions.

Since you're new to street bikes, be sure to enroll in an MSF class! They can be a bit pricey, but WELL worth the cost! These are heavy, powerful bikes, and can get you into a lot of trouble, in a hurry.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Greets,

Thanx for the reply! Well I can tell you that my first impression was DAMN this thing is FAST---------------------> I only have the pic from CL as I was too busy riding today to take pics before it got dark out. I will take some better ones in the next day or so.

Nag.

My other "TOY"
        1998 AC Thunder Cat, 1000cc 198hp Longtrack. She's dressed out as a AC 600 zrt (you'd never know unless you saw me start it ).

Nag.

Comment

Quote:
          "Well I can tell you that my first impression was DAMN this thing is FAST"

Yep, that was the very first impression that most of us here had when we first sampled one of these too...

It looks super cool too= glad you like it...

How fast did you get it up to today?

Comment

Nice score!! That is a combination of things for sure. The tank looks to be an XJ1100, the headlights and such are form the Special version. It has what you read refered to as POD filters, and a nice aftermarket 4-1 exhaust.

These are VERY fast bikes and pretty heavy beast. So caution is advised. I always recommend the MSF safety course to first time riders, it is a very nice course and informative. Also teaches alot of the safety issues regarding dealing with the cages on the road.

Enjoy your new ride!!
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by GNEPIG View Post
              Quote:
              "Well I can tell you that my first impression was DAMN this thing is FAST"

Yep, that was the very first impression that most of us here had when we first sampled one of these too...

It looks super cool too= glad you like it...

How fast did you get it up to today?
              Greets,

Speedo only goes up to 80 so I'm not to sure right now (I'll get the ole lady to radar a couple of passes in the next few days).

Nag.

My other "TOY"

Nag.

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                Nice score!! That is a combination of things for sure. The tank looks to be an XJ1100, the headlights and such are form the Special version. It has what you read refered to as POD filters, and a nice aftermarket 4-1 exhaust.

These are VERY fast bikes and pretty heavy beast. So caution is advised. I always recommend the MSF safety course to first time riders, it is a very nice course and informative. Also teaches alot of the safety issues regarding dealing with the cages on the road.

Enjoy your new ride!!
                Greets,

The bike has definitely been cobbled together in quite a few different aspects, as well as having several problems. I will need to replace the entire instrument cluster (all instrument lights and metal bracket are smashed. The only two working components are the speedo and the rpm, nothing else is there / functioning). The electrical looks to have been maintained by some sort of smaller primate (taped from top to bottom, toggles mounted to work the headlight, no working blinkers, wire after wire of clipped and taped off ends). Last but not least she slips under HARD acceleration.

Nag.

My other "TOY"

Nag.

Comment

Hey Nag,

That slipping under hard acceleration, especially in 1st or second gear and feels abit like a machine gun going off underneath you, that is a known and well documented defect in the bike. But there is a very well documented cure for it as well. Click HERE for the link to the tech tips.

If you look up at the top of the page, you will see the XS INFO drop down. The tech tips are under that. There is stuff on maintenance, repairs, modifications and other stuff. All very good info to read through. Some of it "corrects" the manuals on safe and or proper ways to do things to avoid catastophe.

That same primate must been involved with my project bike Banshee. She had all kinds of taped together connections, that I went back and soldered and covered in shrink wrap. She also had NO FUSES. PO, had removed all of them, including the main, and just wired it all together with camper connectors or crimp ons, or int he case of the main, just twisted the wires together left bare under the seat.

Hopefully you won't need to go that far, but I do have a wiring harness to an 81 XS1100 Special. I am not certain if it matches up with the standard that you seem to have though. I also have most of the relays and other electrical components from my former ride Thunderstruck on hand.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions. Alot of folks here that make me feel like a babe in the woods on these things, I doubt there is a question you can ask that someone here can not answer.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Greets,

Like I said she's cobbled but at least runs like a raped ape for now. I bought this bike with the intentions of having something to tear down and rebuild during the winter. I read through the dremmel repair and while it looks straight forward I would like to find someone that has done this before in the area that might be willing to help, teach, or just watch over my shoulder as I do it (might as well rebuild the clutch while I'm at it). As for the wiring harness I think it would probably be a better idea to get a hold of a compatible harness and just replace this spaghetti monstrosity that is lurking under the covers. Looking around on eBay I can't believe how cheaply some of these new / used parts for these bikes can be acquired. I will post some picks later today after I get back from a service call to one of my clients (woooot 3x time holiday) Thanxs for the info and the suggestions folks, keep em coming.

Nag.

My other "TOY"

Nag.

Comment

Hey Nag,

Welcome, congrats on your find. You may not need to do the dremmel just yet. You say slipping, not SKIPPING. If it feels like it's hopping in and out of gear, then that's the gear problem. But if the engine just revs a bit under higher gears and load but the bike doesn't go any faster, then it could be simple clutch friction slippage.

You'll want to check the tech tips...several are in the FORUMS format when you scroll down from the main forum page, they are not all linked/current with the drop down menus format. You'll find the clutch adjustment at the engine side tip, and fixing that may be enough. But ensuring the cable is well lubed and not sticking, as well as proper slack adjustment at the handlebar as well will help.

And finally, what type of oil did you put in it? If full synth, that can also contribute to clutch slippage in a weakened clutch. It may also need new clutch springs and frictions, but these simpler things to check can keep you riding longer this summer with very little wrenching. Synth is okay in middle and final, but can be problematic in the engine.

YES...MSF a must, you/we are invisible out there, and the cage drivers are getting WORSE....more distractions as well, cells/texting, etc.!!

Check the VIN #'s on the frame and the engine, see if they are the same. You can check them against the listing in the MISC forum, that way you can determine what year/model of frame or engine you have. IT's a standard as far as the front forks, but an XJ tank, and special headlight and gauges.

I'm a little curious/confused though. You said the other gauges don't work? There aren't any other gauges except the tach and speedo. The Special uses just a warning light for low fuel, neutral, turn indicators. The central dash pilot assembly has the engine/oil light, and a white light which is the reserve lighting warning light.....just to let you know if the headlight low beam burns out, it lights and uses the high beam as lower power. With all of the butchering of the wiring harness the PO has done, no telling what's still connected and what's not!?
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Welcome. There is vast knowledge on these bikes here. You probably know, but just a reminder. If it has been sitting, there is a post on this forum somewhere that gives good recomendations as to what you will most likely need to do to make this bike roadworthy. I don't trust anything to far till i go through it.
                        1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                        1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                        A quick death and an easy one.
                        A pretty girl and an honest one.
                        A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Greets,

Here are some better pics. The serial on the frame and the motor both match #4R1-002197

Nag.
                          Last edited by nagrutan; 07-04-2010, 12:20 PM.

My other "TOY"

Nag.

Comment

Welcome to the madness, seen that one on CL myself but am not into the bobber look. I am hopefully getting close to being done with my 81 sh...needs paint and side covers and a few misc things.....as with yours mine def needs the second gear fix....if you need parts Andreas on here has them....I also have a local hookup near me ....PM me if you need anything

Doug
                            1981 xs1100sh ( new project )
                            1978 kz650sr
                            God is great...Beer is good....people are frikkin crazy!!!

Comment

Cool bike, but I wanna see your other TOY. I ride a piped '08 AC M1000. How long a track?
                              Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
                              X