New XS1100H owner and new rider.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T99Ford View Post
    Cool bike, but I wanna see your other TOY. I ride a piped '08 AC M1000. How long a track?
    Greets,

Twiched out 155" and a combo of 255 center line chisels / stud boy titaniums.

Nag.
    XS1100H 1981, First bike I have owned. New rider and new to everything XS11.

My other "TOY"
    1998 AC Thunder Cat, 1000cc 198hp Longtrack. She's dressed out as a AC 600 zrt (you'd never know unless you saw me start it ).

Nag.

Comment

Originally posted by Yotassan View Post
      Welcome to the madness, seen that one on CL myself but am not into the bobber look. I am hopefully getting close to being done with my 81 sh...needs paint and side covers and a few misc things.....as with yours mine def needs the second gear fix....if you need parts Andreas on here has them....I also have a local hookup near me ....PM me if you need anything

Doug
      Greets,

Yea, got him down to $700.00 for the whole thing plus a truck bed full of spare parts, Forks, fenders, boxes of tranny / clutch parts, cdi boxes.....the list goes on (haven't done any kind of inventory). For the price I couldn't let it pass. Def will be needing that instrument cluster, wire harness, and the dremmel fix!!! Drop a line if you got the hook ups or just want to monkey around with the bikes.

Nag.

My other "TOY"
      1998 AC Thunder Cat, 1000cc 198hp Longtrack. She's dressed out as a AC 600 zrt (you'd never know unless you saw me start it ).

Nag.

Comment

Well you certainly do have an interesting concauction there. That green emblem on the TCI would indicate it is from an XJ as well as the tank.

The VIN says 81 Standard. The light cluster looks like it is from the Standard to match the gages. The headlight and turn signals are from a special model, forks are standard. The frame has been cut, and the footpeg exhaust brackets removed. The left side round cover on the front part of the engine looks to be from an earlier year, as it does not have the black circle ring around it like the other sides cover does.

The question of the moment to me is what is under that left side cover, which is the timing setup. Should have no mech advance, but the green XJ TCI would normally not have a vacuum advance, as where the 81 and earlier XS models do.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
          The question of the moment to me is what is under that left side cover, which is the timing setup. Should have no mech advance, but the green XJ TCI would normally not have a vacuum advance, as where the 81 and earlier XS models do.
          Greets,

I could pull it off and snap some pics tomorrow. I have the day off might as well do all the fluids.

Nag.

My other "TOY"

Nag.

Comment

Hey welcome here!
            XS 1.1 '84 Midnight Special
            Honda CBX 250 2009
            Kempton Park
            Johannesburg
            South Africa
            Jan

Comment

Good eye there DG,

If you look closer at the left side cover, you will note that there is NO vac. adv hose going up from there, so I'm thinking that the PO hopefully swapped out an XJ's trigger system, so that there's no vac. adv. pot as well as no mech. centrifugal adv. system. OR...he's still got the 81 series parts, but with the vac. adv. pot disconnected, he's got the programmed Cent. Adv. curve of the 10M(XJ) TCI. The other question is whether the PO connected the XJ's vac. "boost" sensor box??

Nag., check the intake boots for vac. hoses, and see if they are connected to anything....as well as the Carb #2's metal vac. port on the engine side of the carb body...if there's a vac. hose connected to it, and where it goes??

IF you don't find any vac. hoses connected to anything, then at least you know that you're running the ignition with just the Cent. Adv. curves, and it does have power, but will burn more fuel when you're cruising because it won't provide the higher vac. adv. curves that are needed to better burn leaner fuels during cruising rpms and low load running.

Would be curious to hear what you're getting for gas mileage?

BTW, NAG they are TCI's...transistor controlled ignitions, not actual CDI's...which would be capacitance discharge ignitions. Ours are much higher ohm rated....3.0 ohms for the primary side of aftermarket ignition coils for the later 81-84 models. CDI coils are usually 0.7 ohms or less, and will FRY our TCI's if used.

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

You know TC, I did not see the vac hose, but over the past few years, I have learned not to trust my eyes at this scale in picture format anyway. Ohh, to be young and sightful again, I have graduated to taking off my eye glasses to read even.

Anyway, I was taking it one step at a time on the vac advance issue. Overall it does look like whoever did the mods had a decent idea what they were doing.

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Greets,

I will take better pics of the motor and hoses today before I take off. As for gas mileage it's not great by any means.

Nag.

My other "TOY"

Nag.

Comment

Greets,

Here are some better pics of the motor. Give a shout if there is a particular part or area that you would like pics of.

Nag.

My other "TOY"

Nag.

Comment

Hey Nag,

You see that nipple on your number two carb with the vacuum cap on it, that is the vacuum source for the timing vacuum advance on these bikes. From the looks of it, your running with no vacuum advance like TC thought could be the case.

The green label and the 10M indicate it is the TCI from an XJ model 1100. On those models, Yamaha incorporated the vacuum advance timing adjustment into the electronics in the TCI. They had already done so with the mechanical advance in the 1981 XS1100 models the year before. The way it works on the XJ model is it has a sensor that converts the vacuum signal to an electronic signal that gets sent to the TCI which then interprets it to advance or retard the timing of the spark to coincide with the amount of vacuum present. So it would appear your PO got the XJ TCI, but not the sensor. To correct for it, you need to either install the sensor if you can find one, or install a new TCI and either install a vacuum advance or at least reactivate the one that may still be under that left side cover.

Now to further complicate it, I would hope and guess the PO removed the mech advance that under that cover. If not, then you could add the vacuum advance and get the more plentiful older 2H7 model TCI. With no mech advance and with vacuum advance, the 10M can work, but the correct TCI would be the 4RO which is also rare as it was a one year only production in 1981 model year.

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Greets,

Here are shots with the cover removed. Found one sheared bolt on the upper left side, just zipped it out with a drill and an ez-out.

Nag.

My other "TOY"

Nag.

Comment

The green label and the 10M indicate it is the TCI from an XJ model 1100.
                          Greets,

In the pile of parts that came with the bike I found another TCI module with the same numbers but with a blue label. I don't know if this would be relevant to anything or not.

Nag.

My other "TOY"

Nag.

Comment

Not seen blue label before, but 10M would typicaly indicate XJ TCI. The timing assy coul dbe from an XJ, i have never seen one myself, but it does not look like an 81 or the earlier years timing assembly.

If you look in the upper right corner, that is where you would normally find the vacuum advance module. In front of the black rubber grommet where the vacuum line would be run. So it appears you have no vacuum advance right now.

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

Greets,

So with the setup that's installed right now I would need to track down a vac sensor and wire it to the module?

Nag.

My other "TOY"

Nag.

Comment

Yes, see if you have the pressure sensor in your box full o' parts, it connects to the nipple on #2 carb, it's a small black box with wires and a vacuum nipple on it. It might even still be bolted to the frame under the fuel tank.

It looks like this....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAH...Q5fAccessories
                                Last edited by bikerphil; 07-06-2010, 06:28 PM.
                                2H7 (79)
                                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                                X