Carb screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb screws

Goodbye phillips, hello hex sockets! This beats pounding on our delicate carbs with an impact driver to loosen up a worn and pesky stuck phillips!

[IMG][/IMG]

Dennis

I hear you on that one, I done that mod a little while back. Had to cut the top screws down as the hardware store didnt have any short enough. Didnt do the cross brace, might look at that later.
    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Thats going to happen this winter on mine, probably even do it on the float bowls
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

if anybody want to, you can order them through here:
        http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...lpartial&Nty=1

i love stainless steel.

later
        Webs
        1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
        1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

PW50, PW80, YZ80(mine? what the??? Brrap OH...)

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

I changed out the cross brace screws for stainless hex screws awhile back. Here is a tip you should do, if you have not already. Put some locktite on the cross brace hex screws. These can loosen and fall out from motor vibration.
          Mike Giroir
          79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Carb Screws

The thing that I discovered is that the screws are NOT standard phillips. They are "JIP", as in Japanese Industrial Phillips. Do an internet search, get the right tool for the job. You will be amazed in the difference.
            LuckyEddie
            1980 XS1100LG Midnight special
            1982 XV750J Virago
            1976 GL1000
            1978 GL1000 Supercharged
            1981 XV920RH (chain drive)

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyEddie View Post
              The thing that I discovered is that the screws are NOT standard phillips. They are "JIP", as in Japanese Industrial Phillips. Do an internet search, get the right tool for the job. You will be amazed in the difference.
              Hi Eddie,
              if several dreaded POs had known this perhaps my carb screws would not have been cratered out to the extent that half of them had to have a screwdriver slot Dremeled into them in order to remove them.
              But I'd have binned those effin' things in favour of Allen headed screws anyway.
              Crosspoint screws were originally designed for assembling heating ducts and similar sheet metal parts where their automatic "cam-out" feature is an advantage.
              Using ANY style of crosspoint screw on something that needs to be taken apart again is a sign that the bean counters are dominating the design department.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                Hi Eddie,
                if several dreaded POs had known this perhaps my carb screws would not have been cratered out to the extent that half of them had to have a screwdriver slot Dremeled into them in order to remove them.
                But I'd have binned those effin' things in favour of Allen headed screws anyway.
                Crosspoint screws were originally designed for assembling heating ducts and similar sheet metal parts where their automatic "cam-out" feature is an advantage.
                Using ANY style of crosspoint screw on something that needs to be taken apart again is a sign that the bean counters are dominating the design department.
                Those effin' bean counters, I just hate them. (no offense if anyone here is one )
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                X