Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will leave personal opinion aside here for the most part. Those who carry concealed handguns are statistically proven (information obtained from a Dallas police constable) to be safer from murder and muggings. Recently, I was around the corner from a two girls mugged with a knife. I was litteraly 10 feet away. I did not know what was going on untill the perp ran off with purses and the girls screamed. When you feel that vulnerability, you will understand. After looking up the statistics for the DFW area of how many people are murdered or robbed I have a valid excuse for wanting to carry a gun. Also, I travel a lot. My journey to school is a 26 hour non stop drive. Naturally I stop in some places (rest stops/ gas stations) that are very dangerous in the middle of the night. When you motorcycle, you are extreemly vulnerable to the will of others be it good or bad.
    For my personal opinion: I don't consider myself some gun wheeling nut (although it looks like it some times) but in the event that something happens to me, I would rather have the chance to defend myself. I am not saying that if I have a gun I will never get murdered or mugged but why not even the playing field. The worst thats going to happen from me responsibly carrying a gun is that I never have to use it and I place it safely back in the safe when I arrive at my destination. Ephasize "responsibly"

I hope that clears up the question
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

Comment

Originally posted by Toolmaker Tim View Post
      Geezer, forgot about that little detail. Deeper detent on mine also.Also Ed Brown grip safety, extended mag release, extended slide release, Fusion 2 piece recoil spring guide, and Wilson Combat sights. Use to deliver pizza's once upon a time and also carried in a fanny pack. I agree, very handy and safe. I believe it kept me from being robbed on night. Only problem is, at least around here, is about every off duty cop carries the sidearm that way. It sticks out like a sore thumb, however it my be different in other places. Mitch Rosen makes a holster that allows you to carry with your shirt tucked.

J.M. Browning absolutely got it right with the 1911. Haven't found anything better. Slow and steady definitely beats fast and shakey. I do a LOT of practice drawing and gripping with a chamber safety indicator at home. Got to keep the muscle memory built up.
      I bought the last Springfield Armory M911 before the company filed chapter 11 and ended up starting all over again. The new Springfield guns are 100% Brazilian (not that's bad) but the earlier guns had all the machine work done in the USA. I've tuned the extraction and ejection, added a McCormick sear and done a trigger job. I'd like to do some of the other mods you've done but there's always other things that need money. For example I can think of at least 4 or my rifles that need a new scope without even thinking hard. Then there's all my other projects...

I'm 6' 5" tall and the black belt pack slung half over my left hip and toward the front isn't all that noticeable on a big guy like me. In colder weather, my coat covers it almost completely.

My Langlitz leather riding Jacket has a gun pocket but it's best for a Makarov sized pistol and such a piece seems to disappear in that pocket...

Tony
      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Have you considered moving? I couldnt imagine living in a place unsafe enough to warrant being armed all the time. We have our moments here (murders and muggings) but for the most part I live in a 'safe' country where this is just simply unnessecary, and I rue the day when it does.
        1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
          Have you considered moving? I couldnt imagine living in a place unsafe enough to warrant being armed all the time. We have our moments here (murders and muggings) but for the most part I live in a 'safe' country where this is just simply unnessecary, and I rue the day when it does.
          No place is safe all the time. Some of use choose to be counted in the numbers that refuse to be prey...

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Not arguing with you, just commenting on the sad state of a society in general that has to resort to carrying arms for protection from one's nieghbour, and that I couldnt imagine living in one. The only 'prey' we have here is the type that lives in the wild and you need a licence to hunt.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Just because you "think" you are safe or "feel" safe doesn't mean you are or were. There is crime/bad guys in every part of the world. We carry a gun because IF someone decides to pull some crap with us we want to at least have a chance to defend ourselves. And we know that sometimes it wouldn't matter if we have a gun or not. Sometimes there is nothing you can or could do to stop it. And we also realize that things you see on the news can happen to me. I would rather have a gun on my hip and not need it than need it and not have it. In answer to the original question, I use molded leather holsters w/out a strap. I can hang upside down and the gun will not fall out. I carry concealed. If I carried open I would use a strap. If you are worried about the gun getting damaged if you go down, I think you will have bigger problems.
              79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
              79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Like I said, not arguing, just dont understand it. I feel safe in my country and thats all I need. Whether or not I am safe is another matter and largely beyond my control, and carrying a gun isnt going to change that. That would just serve to highten the level of paranoia i would have to feel in order to want to carry one in the first place.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with you guys carrying guns if thats the society you live in, but I surely am pleased that at least so far we havent degenerated to that level, and it's not nessecary here.

That being said, It's obviously a sensitive topic for you folk so i'll leave it alone from here.

Comment

Why?

Actually it's a valid question, simple, but hard to answer. First I believe you are fortunate to live where some of our problems are not yours. You are right in the fact society has fallen to this point. This country's drug problems, it's glitzing of the "gangsta" life style, and our gang problem itself, are a major part of the reasons some of us carry. As was stated before, some of us choose not to be prey, but also choose not to be predators. This site and the interaction of the members (offering help, advice, parts, information, support) shows that most of us wouldn't want to be forced to stand by while others are victimized, and when it is ourselves, are willing to do what is needed. All this being said, count yourself as being fortunate. If it comes to past that your country has these problem, and I pray it doesn't, you may find yourself making these same decisions.
                  1979XS1100SF
                  K&N's and drilled airbox
                  Jardine 4in1
                  Dunlop Elite 3's
                  JBM slide diaphragms
                  142.5 main jets
                  45 pilot jets
                  T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
                  750/850 FD mod.
                  XV 920 Needle Mod.
                  Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
                  Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

Hmmmmm,

Bear with me for a moment and let's see if I can explain. The USA’s Constitution specifically states we have the right to keep and bare arms. We are the only? or one of the very few nations who retain this right. This was due in part to England's attempt to disarm the "colonies" in the 1700's. Furthermore our Constitution also has a provision for the right to defend one's self, home, property, family, etc..

Not trying to insult anyone with a different form of government but for the most part Americans do not want any part of being peons to some monarch or dictator. We have an inherited distrust of government, politicians, conmen, etc.. Now as my take on this subject I believe a lot of people exercise those rights to insure we continue to have them and are never be subjected to the aforementioned.

The world is on the edge of possible total dictatorship. What I mean by that is there now exists the means to put the entire world into permanent servitude. Think about it. Electronics have made this possible. Governments can now track your every move in real time or history. They also have the ability to restrict and/or ration all necessities of life.

Not saying I believe it will happen or even have a real opinion other than not wanting to be caught with my head in the sand. I truly don't think anything will happen within my lifetime but that may be ignorance and stupidity talking. Nevertheless, we have an obligation to our children and grand children to (at the very least) pass on the freedoms we enjoy.

So despite the common narrative of being armed for personal protection the issue is more complex and far deeper. When it is all said and done crime is worldwide. We feel a responsibility to protect. Often that may be what causes us global issues.

No chicken little here but also not an ostrich or at least don't want to feel like one.
                    Last edited by jmnjrpa; 06-29-2010, 08:24 AM.
                    '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                    Original except:
                    120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                    4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                    Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                    All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                    Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Carrying

The law states that you may carry your handgun on your person if it is outside your clothing and visible. BUT here in Cantaffordya the police will shoot you on sight if you are carrying a weapon. Sad but true. In the late '60's and early '70's I lived in AZ and it was common to see people with sidearms just like the old cowboy movies...
                      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                      Drilled airbox
                      Tkat fork brace
                      Hardly mufflers
                      late model carbs
                      Newer style fuses
                      Oil pressure guage
                      Custom security system
                      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by planedick View Post
                        The law states that you may carry your handgun on your person if it is outside your clothing and visible. BUT here in Cantaffordya the police will shoot you on sight if you are carrying a weapon. Sad but true. In the late '60's and early '70's I lived in AZ and it was common to see people with sidearms just like the old cowboy movies...
                        It was still not uncommon in the late 70's and early 80's, can't speak for now as I haven't been there in a while, but last I heard, with the exception of Tombstone it's still not uncommon.
                        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                        Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                        750 FD Mod
                        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

My 2 cents

I carry because I am allowed to. It is that simple. I don't really care if someone thinks I'm paronoid or not. Being an ex cop, I've seen the evil man can inflict on man. I refuse to be a victim. Read the following. You are one of the three.

Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs
                          This letter was written by Charles Grennel and his comrades, veterans of the Global War On Terror. Grennel is an Army Reservist who spent two years in Iraq and was a principal in putting together the first Iraq elections in January 2005.

They wrote it to Jill Edwards, student at the University of Washington, who did not want to honor Medal of Honor winner USMC Colonel Greg Boyington. Ms. Edwards, other students and faculty do not think those who serve in the U.S. armed services are good role models.

To: Jill Edwards, Student, University of Washington

Subject: Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs

Miss Edwards, I read of your student activity regarding the proposed memorial to Colonel Greg Boyington, USMC and a Medal of Honor winner. I suspect you will receive many angry emails from conservative people like me.

You may be too young to appreciate fully the sacrifices of generations of servicemen and servicewomen on whose shoulders you and your fellow students stand. I forgive you for the untutored ways of youth and your naiveté. It may be that you are simply a sheep. There's no dishonor in being a sheep, as long as you know and accept what you are.

William J. Bennett, in a lecture to the United States Naval Academy November 24, 1997 said "Most of the people in our society are sheep. They are kind, gentle, productive creatures who can only hurt one another by accident. We may well be in the most violent times in history, but violence is still remarkably rare. This is because most citizens are kind, decent people, not capable of hurting each other except by accident or under extreme provocation. They are sheep.

Then there are the wolves who feed on the sheep without mercy. Do you believe there are wolves out there who will feed on the flock without mercy? You better believe it. There are evil men in this world and they are capable of evil deeds. The moment you forget that or pretend it is not so, you become a sheep. There is no safety in denial.

Then there are sheepdogs and I'm a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf. If you have no capacity for violence then you are a healthy productive citizen, a sheep. If one has a capacity for violence and no empathy for one’s fellow citizens, then you have defined an aggressive sociopath, a wolf. But what if you have a capacity for violence, and a deep love for your fellow citizens? What do you have then? A sheepdog, a warrior, someone who is walking the unsheltered path.

Someone who can walk into the heart of darkness, into the universal human phobia, and walk out unscathed.

We know that the sheep live in denial; that is what makes them sheep.

They do not want to believe that there is evil in the world. They can accept the fact that fires can happen, which is why they want fire extinguishers, fire sprinklers, fire alarms and fire exits throughout their kid's schools. But many of them are outraged at the idea of putting an armed police officer in their kid's school. Our children are thousands of times more likely to be killed or seriously injured by school violence than fire, but the sheep's only response to the possibility of violence is denial. The idea of someone coming to kill or harm their child is just too hard. So they choose the path of denial.

The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog that intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed. The world cannot work any other way, at least not in a representative democracy or a republic such as ours. Still, the sheepdog disturbs the sheep. He is a constant reminder that there are wolves in the land.

They would prefer that he didn't tell them where to go, or give them traffic tickets, or stand at the ready in our airports, in camouflage fatigues, holding an M-16. The sheep would much rather have the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go “Baa.” Until the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog.

The students, the victims, at Columbine High School were big, tough high school students, and under ordinary circumstances would not have had the time of day for a police officer. They were not bad kids; they just had nothing to say to a cop. When the school was under attack, however, and SWAT teams were clearing the rooms and hallways, the officers had to physically peel those clinging, sobbing kids off of them.

This is how the little lambs feel about their sheepdog when the wolf is at the door. Look at what happened after September 11, 2001 when the wolf pounded hard on the door. Remember how America, more than ever before, felt differently about their law enforcement officers and military personnel? Understand that there is nothing morally superior about being a sheepdog; it is just what you choose to be.

Also understand that a sheepdog is a funny critter. He is always sniffing around out on the perimeter, checking the breeze, barking at things that go bump in the night and yearning for a righteous battle. That is, the young sheepdogs yearn for a righteous battle. The old sheepdogs are a little older and wiser, but they move to the sound of the guns when needed, right along with the young ones.

Here is how the sheep and the sheepdog think differently. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day.

After the attacks on September 11, 2001, most of the sheep, that is, most citizens in America said "Thank God I wasn't on one of those planes." The sheepdogs, the warriors, said "Dear God, I wish I could have been on one of those planes. Maybe I could have made a difference." You want to be able to make a difference. There is nothing morally superior about the sheepdog, the warrior, but he does have one real advantage. Only one. And that is that he is able to survive and thrive in an environment that would destroy 98-percent of the population.

Research was conducted a few years ago with individuals convicted of violent crimes. These cons were in prison for serious, predatory crimes of violence: assaults, murders and killing law enforcement officers. The vast majority said they specifically targeted victims by body language:

Slumped walk, passive behavior and lack of awareness. They chose their victims like big cats do in Africa, when they select one out of the herd that is least able to protect itself.

Some people may be destined to be sheep and others might be genetically primed to be wolves or sheepdogs. But I believe that most people can choose which one they want to be, and I'm proud to say that more and more Americans are choosing to become sheepdogs.

Seven months after the attack on September 11, 2001, Todd Beamer was honored in his hometown of Cranbury, New Jersey. Todd, as you recall, was the man on Flight 93 over Pennsylvania who called on his cell phone to alert an operator from United Airlines about the hijacking. When they learned of the other three passenger planes that had been used as weapons, Todd and the other passengers confronted the terrorist hijackers. In one hour, a transformation occurred among the passengers -- athletes, business people and parents -- from sheep to sheepdogs and together they fought the wolves, ultimately saving an unknown number of lives on the ground.

Edmund Burke said "There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men." Here is the point I want to emphasize, especially to the thousands of police officers and soldiers I speak to each year. In nature the sheep, real sheep, are born as sheep. Sheepdogs are born that way, and so are wolves. They don't have a choice.

But you are not a critter. As a human being, you can be whatever you want to be. It is a conscious, moral decision. If you want to be a sheep, then you can be a sheep and that is okay, but you must understand the price you pay. When the wolf comes, you and your loved ones are going to die if there is not a sheepdog there to protect you.

If you want to be a wolf, you can be one, but the sheepdogs are going to hunt you down and you will never have rest, safety, trust or love. But if you want to be a sheepdog and walk the warrior's path, then you must make a conscious and moral decision every day to dedicate, equip and prepare yourself to thrive in that toxic, corrosive moment when the wolf comes knocking at the door.

This business of being a sheep or a sheepdog is not a “yes-no” dichotomy.

It is not an all-or-nothing, either-or choice. It is a matter of degrees, a continuum. On one end is an abject, head-in-the-sand-sheep and on the other end is the ultimate warrior. Few people exist completely on one end or the other. Most of us live somewhere in between.

Since 9-11 almost everyone in America took a step up that continuum, away from denial. The sheep took a few steps toward accepting and appreciating their warriors and the warriors started taking their job more seriously.

It’s OK to be a sheep, but do not kick the sheepdog. Indeed, the sheepdog may just run a little harder, strive to protect a little better and be fully prepared to pay an ultimate price in battle and spirit with the sheep moving from "Baa" to "Thanks.”

We do not call for gifts or freedoms beyond our lot. We just need a small pat on the head, a smile and a thank you to fill the emotional tank which is drained protecting the sheep. And, when our number is called by The Almighty, and day retreats into night, a small prayer before the heavens just may be in order to say thanks for letting you continue to be a sheep. And be grateful for the millions of American sheepdogs who permit you the freedom to express even bad ideas.
                          "I'd rather be fishin'"
                          1980sg "Cruise Missle"
                          2002A Goldwing

Comment

Hobbyman ... lose the 686 and the big Colt ... get a J-frame for packin' while ridin'. I have carried both my 1911 and 686 at one time or another ... I'm getting a new gun that's perfect for CC. Don't carry one in the pipe and accidental discharge ain't an issue. Here's the latest hammerless unit that's got my interest ...
                            http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y
                            80G Mini-bagger
                            VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                            79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                            79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                            79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                            79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

(I think I posted this 1st bit in another thread)
                              I remember riding on the back of my brothers Honda 350 (no helmets), holding both our .22 cal rifles up to the foothills to go shooting. This was in the early 70... in California. (I believe my earlier post was the part about getting smacked in the forehead by a giant moth).

I lived in AZ for 10 years where it is/was legal to carry open. I bought (still have) a Ruger Super Blackhawk, .44 magnum, 10 1/2" barrel. How to carry on the bike? Hip holster would have the thing hanging to my knee. Got a nylon shoulder holster. Tucked the end of the holster in my back pocket. Left an inch or so exposed between jacket and pocket. Looked like a biker wallet and was legal. Got pulled-over once when carrying my 9-shot .22 revolver, cross-draw. I removed my helmet, got off the bike, opened the jacket so the officer could see the firearm, and stood with my hands on my head until he secured the firearm. There was no problem at all. He wrote the ticket and returned the gun (unloaded) and we went our merry ways.

What I am trying to figure is how to carry my Mossberg 500, 12g, 20" barrel, 8 shot, on the bike. I guess I couls just sling it across my back and make sure the cable lock is visible so LEO's don't shoot on sight.
                              Pat Kelly
                              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I'm making a leather scabbard made for my hunting rifle, to hang off my horse saddle. Shouldnt be too difficult to adapt something like that to fit along your bike. I'll post a pic when I get it finished. (in a month or so) Or you could do what the farmers here do and carry them across the handlebar of thier four wheelers . Wouldnt that look good, 80mph down the highway with a scattergun across the bars

I've got a Mossberg pump as well, but I carry that behind the seat in my truck whenever I go duck hunting.

Comment

Working...
                                X