This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ancient script

This is what Matthew Henry had to say about that ancient script.

Pro 27:17 As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Pro 27:17
    This intimates both the pleasure and the advantage of conversation. One man is nobody; nor will poring upon a book in a corner accomplish a man as the reading and studying of men will. Wise and profitable discourse sharpens men's wits; and those that have ever so much knowledge may by conference have something added to them. It sharpens men's looks, and, by cheering the spirits, puts a briskness and liveliness into the countenance, and gives a man such an air as shows he is pleased himself and makes him pleasing to those about him. Good men's graces are sharpened by converse with those that are good, and bad men's lusts and passions are sharpened by converse with those that are bad, as iron is sharpened by its like, especially by the file. Men are filed, made smooth, and bright, and fit for business (who were rough, and dull, and inactive), by conversation. This is designed, 1. To recommend to us this expedient for sharpening ourselves, but with a caution to take heed whom we choose to converse with, because the influence upon us is so great either for the better or for the worse. 2. To direct us what we must have in our eye in conversation, namely to improve both others and ourselves, not to pass away time or banter one another, but to provoke one another to love and to good works and so to make one another wiser and better.
    "I'd rather be fishin'"
    1980sg "Cruise Missle"
    2002A Goldwing

Comment

Perhaps it served a purpose?

I understand that it was started as a way to siphon away controversial off-topic posts from the members lounge forum.
      Other list owners have opened separate lists for the same reason, the "I am right" list for example.
      The Hot Button forum has certainly revealed extreme views on the current US President, the future of US health care and the entire "Wogs start at Calais" mindset.
      Perhaps the Hot Button forum was pulled to keep certain list members from each other's throats?
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
        I believe it was Jefferson who said "Come, let us reason together."
        Jefferson may have said it, but he was probably quoting this guy:

Isaiah 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD
        1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
        2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

Comment

Yeah, that's it. Isiah Jefferson. I think he was George Jefferson's brother.
          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Thats GOOD

Thanks Ivan. Man this place is always good for at least one good laugh a day.
            "I'd rather be fishin'"
            1980sg "Cruise Missle"
            2002A Goldwing

Comment

Ding, dong, the witch is dead... Good ridance, no more babysitting.
              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I think it promoted some of the spillover venom

I saw on some of the posts here in the Lounge and even in the XS11 discussion forums. Once someone gets riled up they quit thinking about whether their answer contributes to the general good or just is responding to a perceived attack.

I won't miss it, though I am sure the lively debates will continue elsewhere.

I figure the kinda off topic stuff lands here in the Lounge and the serious get down to fixing bike stuff happens in the XS11 Discussion or Other Bike discussion.

I am still hoping to be able to help others as my knowledge and experience grows, but enjoy coming here after work and feeling like I did something with the bike even if I never touched a wrench

Thanks guys for being here and for those who keep it running.

John in San Antonio
                John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Maybe the place will smell like motorcycles again.

Comment

Heh heh heh........

Nice to hear from you John.................

Can't you smell that smell.........that smell that surrounds you?

Comment

I blocked the HBT forum on the second day and have not missed a thing that I cared about. I come here for the motorcycle info and the interaction of the members, except when it comes to petty stuff. No need for the HBT forum here.
                      2-79 XS1100 SF
                      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I never posted there. Even though I have extremely strong political views, and I love to "talk" politics. I need this site for the guidance it provides. It allows me to keep my three decades old bike on the road (or eventually on the road ) Plus, it is nice to have a place to hang out and talk about my favorite subject (motorcycles) and just enjoy good company.
                        Dave
                        1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                          ...though I am sure the lively debates will continue elsewhere...John in San Antonio
                          No... no they won't. They may START elsewhere, but they will NOT be allowed to continue. As you may be noticing, I have a huge issue with that garbage littering this site. And, though I don't think I am alone amongst the Moderation/Admin staff, it is my personal mission to see that it will be killed asap. Thank you. Now, please enjoy this wonderful MOTORCYCLE forum.
                          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

It's Gone?

I gotta admit ....

I didn't even notice until I saw this thread. My issue with Political / Religious forum sections is they only seem to breed animosity between members of an otherwise pleasant place to discuss a particular topic .. in this case our beloved classic Yamahas.

Don't get me wrong I have strong opinions on both politics and religion but lets be honest .... how many of you changed your mind about either through the "Hot Buttons" forum? .... yeah .. didn't think so
                            My Stable:

2006 Triumph Bonneville Black
                            1979 Yamaha XS11 Special (2 of them)
                            1982 Yamaha XS400 Heritage Special
                            1981 Suzuki GS550 E
                            1976 Honda CB550F Supersport

Comment

Sayonara, Baby!!!

I avoided it like the plague. It only served to destroy the commonality we all share as a result of our bikes.
                              Well done admins.
                              1980G Standard, Restored
                              Kerker 4 - 1
                              850 Rear End Mod
                              2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                              Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                              Automatic CCT
                              1980GH Special, Restored
                              Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                              Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Morton Downey Jr Show

While I occasionally visited for the entertainment value, I never posted - similar to watching the Morton Downey Jr Show on television.

So its closing is no great loss for me other than the fact I missed the entertainment in reading that which caused its demise.

Comment

Working...
                                X