This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The death of the Hot Buttons forum.

I just felt that I needed to write something about this.

I'm really not certain what caused the Hot Buttons forum to be permanantly closed but I have a few informed guesses. None of which set with me very well.

I am fairly new to the forum but I have made some friends, I believe some very good friends, some of which I may very well never meet but have enrichened my life and my perspective a great deal. Greatly due to the HB forum.

The HB forum was a really great place to exchange points of view and ideas about REAL life without encroaching on the original purpose of the forum.

A totally separate forum if you will. I thought an EXELLENT idea. No one has it as far as I know. but then, what do I know?

No matter what people have in COMMON there will always be PERSONAL differences. The HB forum gave us as a family a place to discuss, and yes, disagree about REAL life situations and politics among REAL people as we ARE.

It won't go away just because there isn't a special place for the dicussion, and disagreements, and yup, fighting. It will just end up INTERCOURSING UP everthing else the forum was created for in the first place because it WILL end up contaminating everything else......you can't stop it will just be forced to go to another topic area in the forum. Or, more than likely, all of them.

Hopefully we can rverse this decision quicker than socialized health care!!!!
    Yup, I want it back
    23.60%
    Nope, glad it's gone
    52.81%
    Haven't got a clue
    16.85%
    other (specify)
    6.74%

The poll is expired.

Don't care. Other than being ambushed, I would never go in there.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

This isn't surprising...

While I have been occasionally guilty of forays onto the HBT forum, that isn't why I came here. This site is about motorcycles, specifically the XS11 and that should be it's focus. So I for one will not mourn it's passing.

Now, those who may still feel the need to vent non-motorcycle-related opinions or 'facts', even stealthily with sig lines and such; hey, keep it in your pants and take it to a forum where that sort of stuff matters...

Good call.

'78E original owner.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Glad it is gone. I was here a while before it developed, and the entire site seemed alot less confrontational before it.

Given a recent discussion on oil viscocity, I feel little like the pot calling the kettle black here. However, there seems to be some real "spillover" from the "heated debates" that go on in there to the rest of the forum. Every now and then I see a topic in there I think I might like to see more about, but it always goes the same way. 5% of the post are someone adding an opinion or relevent information, and the rest is two or three people arguing on forever about whose opinion is the correct one. So much so that the point of discussion becomes unimportant and personal attacks become the norm. I know of two members that were banned from this site in the time I have been here for alot less questionable behavior than what I have seen in that forum.

I hope that with its demise the site can return to a less confrontational and more family feeling place that it seemed when I became a member.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post

This site is about motorcycles, specifically the XS11 and that should be it's focus.

Fittingly, it was an argument about motorcycles and the XS11 that shut it down.
          Now, I have no hope of reaching Guru status!
          In all seriousness, there's still going to be arguments.
          And "ambushes".
          And people crying to the MODS.
          Joe

78XS1100

Comment

In the end, it's a privately owned site, even if it is not for profit, and whatever the owner of it wants to do, the most we can do is what is allowed on it. I for one am forever grateful to the site, the help, and the people I've met. HBT or no HBT I owe a big thanks to TC and all others involved in keeping this site operational.

THANKS!
            1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
            2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

Comment

This site is about motorcycles...so if you want to discuss non related m/c topics or hot button items...there plenty of other sites that can accomodate. I was here long before the HBT and will be long afterwards..so HBT are not very big on my list here at CH11...Good Riddance.
              Last edited by madmax-im; 05-19-2010, 06:25 AM.
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

OK...so now I'm looking forward to the death of the "Death of the HBT Forum" thread.

Comment

Glad it is gone

I found it entertaining at times, but when signatures started reflecting the arguments, it got kinda disgusting. If you can't agree to disagree, you aren't going to get along with to many people. Just MHO. I do love this site, and while some things rub me the wrong way, I've learned to avoid them, and seem to have a better overall experience because of it.
                  THANKS to whoever is responsible for keeping this site going.
                  RODS454
                  "I'd rather be fishin'"
                  1980sg "Cruise Missle"
                  2002A Goldwing

Comment

This poll is giving me heartburn. No homo.
                    http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

I voted for other...

Although I wasnt here long before the HTB (about a year) I did notice a big change in the atmosphere and the people after it opened. I do think the site is better off without it, although I did enjoy talkin about some of the other topics... It just goes to show that the few ruin it for the many.
                      '79 XS11 F
                      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

This is true

In the end, it's a privately owned site, even if it is not for profit, and whatever the owner of it wants to do, the most we can do is what is allowed on it. I for one am forever grateful to the site, the help, and the people I've met. HBT or no HBT I owe a big thanks to TC and all others involved in keeping this site operational
                        On the other hand it continues to run through and by the donations of members. I have been a member for about a year and have donated $50. That's nowhere equal to the time the Mods have donated but more than enough to keep the site running. For what it's worth, my experience is that most people that bi##h and moan about how things are done RARELY if EVER pay their fair share. Just my personal experience and it may not apply here but I would bet hard cash that it does.

Open question to the members-I put my money where it works the best, including where my mouth is, do you? And if you don't, what are you bi##hin about?
                        '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                        Original except:
                        120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                        4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                        Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                        All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                        Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Obtw

I did not agree with the recent charade that manifested itself in the HBT. The rules in the forum should have cut the drama off before it got to that level but some people will ignore the rules as it benefits them.
                          '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                          Original except:
                          120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                          4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                          Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                          All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                          Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Donations are...

Not to start an argument about the end of rabid arguments, but just like to point out that donations are just that and cannot be construed as guaranteeing any sort of continuance of services or features or as granting a level of control.

That being said, I plan, when schooling is over and a regular job is to be had, to give back to this community at least as much as it has given to me, in one way or another.
                            1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
                            2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

Comment

I really believe this to be a good maneuver. Personally, I withdrew from HBT on my own accord, because I felt it was best to do so. I have very strong opinions, and I know exactly why I have them. I am also the sort to tell you them whether solicited or not. Some people do not have the keen logic to think through their opinions or even know why they have those opinions, and throwing a guy like me in the mix will not bode well for anyone with thin skin.

All that being said, I think the HBT would be a good thing if fellow members are able to exercise a bit of restraint. As humans, we NEED to discuss our thoughts and feelings. I believe it was Jefferson who said "Come, let us reason together." and ancient script says "iron sharpens iron" both of which indicate the necessity of arguement. If these subjects were approached as a way to glean perspective from other people, while offering yours, it would definitely be a good thing. However, once again as humans, we also have emotion, and its a fikle burden. No one, even Christ himself, has ever been able to stay in control of them at all times, and this is why we end up slinging mud rather than arguing or debating as it were. We are only human. (Now I will get flamed for calling someone human. I just know it. )

So, in conclusion, I am not at all innocent in this matter, and I would like to offer an apology to any and all I have surely offended. I also would like to thank those who were the iron that sharpened my dull blade.
                              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
                              X