oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil leak

1978 sx 1100 oil leak on very bottom of stator side case.Installed new gasket and check for crackes. No crackes but still dripping oil out of what looks to be a weep hole of some kind. Any help? Thank You

It's the o-ring around the oil galley plug. Just pull the stator (that gasket does nothing, really) and pull the plug out of the hole at the bottom. Leave the bike on the sidestand, and all you might get is a couple of drips of oil. Replace the o-ring, and put the plug back in. Re-install the stator, and you're done.

Never try to start the bike with the stator off, since it holds that plug in place. If you do, it will shoot the plug out, along with a nice supply of oil.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Great help. Thanks

Comment

It's the o-ring around the oil galley plug.

Maybe...

Is it simply dripping oil and not making a mess inside the cover, or is your stator/rotor covered in oil also? If it's making a mess in there, it's more than likely your crank seal. With that cover off, you can grab your rotor and pull up and down on it. If it has any movement at all, then your crank bearings are getting bad and letting the crank wobble a bit... causing the seal to leak.

If the seal is leaking and the crank DOESN'T move at all, it could simply be a 30+ year old piece of rubber that wore out.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
          It's the o-ring around the oil galley plug. Just pull the stator (that gasket does nothing, really) and pull the plug out of the hole at the bottom. Leave the bike on the sidestand, and all you might get is a couple of drips of oil. Replace the o-ring, and put the plug back in. Re-install the stator, and you're done.

Never try to start the bike with the stator off, since it holds that plug in place. If you do, it will shoot the plug out, along with a nice supply of oil.
          I have the same leak and took the stator off and cleaned it up inside. Can you give me a clock position where the plug is relative to the crank? There was one plug type dealio with a 1/2" long stem on it but I couldn't pull it out. Maybe a picture of the plug? I don't think mine is the seal as the rotor was clean.
          US Army 1986-1991

1979 1100 Special (on the road after 16 years!)
          1983 GS300L (wifes ride)
          1985 Super Glide
          2012 Super Glide

Comment

Originally posted by old_chopper View Post
            There was one plug type dealio with a 1/2" long stem on it but I couldn't pull it out.
            That's the plug. The part that sticks out is pressed in by the alt. cover, and that keeps the plug in place. Grab that stem and pull, but be careful, as it can break off.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Six o'clock at the oil galley.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Hey, just pull al the spark plug leads, and turn the engine over with the cover removed! That SHOULD send the plug out. (IF you DO try this, be VERY CAREFUL!)
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                  Hey, just pull al the spark plug leads, and turn the engine over with the cover removed! That SHOULD send the plug out. (IF you DO try this, be VERY CAREFUL!)
                  If I can't pull it loose I will give this a modified try, I'll loosen the cover enough to let it move but still capture the missle when it's launched.
                  US Army 1986-1991

1979 1100 Special (on the road after 16 years!)
                  1983 GS300L (wifes ride)
                  1985 Super Glide
                  2012 Super Glide

Comment

Originally posted by old_chopper View Post
                    If I can't pull it loose I will give this a modified try, I'll loosen the cover enough to let it move but still capture the missle when it's launched.
                    Not a good idea to just loosen the cover and then crank the engine, as the rotor would rub the stator and can damage it even at that slow rotational speed. Best to take the cover off and put a bucket in position to catch that thing if it comes out too fast.
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Sombody said they want photos?

2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                      X