Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for the REAL machinists out there...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about a notch like on a lawnmower flywheel and crankshaft with a tap in key to keep it from spinning?

http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Originally posted by jmnjrpa View Post
      ...Typically allow .0005 press fit per inch diameter on steel and twice that on aluminum...
      Thanks John, that's what I wanted to know; so my plug should be .001" oversize (for a 1" hole) for a 'press fit'. Should I use some sort of locktite product to install this? Or I suspect that just 'pinning' it will be more than adequate to prevent any possiblity of rotation.

Got a line on a late ('02-07 touring) caliper for a reasonable price, so I'm going to give this a shot.

'78E original owner
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Fred

is right about the loctite for the application they used it for but your needs are far different. If you don't go the weld it up method then I would suggest drill and press a pin (aluminum) 90 degrees (or at some angle) through both parts before drilling out to size. Pin could be 3/16 to 1/4 inch. The pin should enter the thick portion of the plug.
        '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
        Original except:
        120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
        4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
        Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
        All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
        Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Originally posted by Montreux_Blue View Post
          What about a notch like on a lawnmower flywheel and crankshaft with a tap in key to keep it from spinning?

Good suggestion, poor example. That woodruff key is as close to shearing as I've ever seen. And I've sheared enough of them to know

Comment

Offset?

Hi Steve, I might have missed it somewhere but I was wondering which way You needed to offset the caliper. If the XSisting rotor is too tight couldn't You have it turned down in diameter?
            Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
            What I want to do is fill an axle hole, then redrill to a smaller size and offset it a bit. This won't turn, it's strictly a locating hole. I'm installing HD 4-piston calipers on the FJ front end I'm currently thrashing to install, and have decided to go whole-hog and use a hd 4-piston rear too. The caliper looks like this:
            http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=160425492340
            The existing axle hole is .750" and I need to reduce it to 17mm; the offset is to correct the slight difference in rotor diameter (about 1/4").

I like the hot/cold idea; maybe I'll put the caliper (when I get one) in my oven and see how much expansion I get....

'78E original owner
            1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
            1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
            1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
            1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
            1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

That might be the best solution yet. If you only need to take .125 off the raduis of the rotor, it would be easy, then you could just make a concentric bushing and not really even worry about a press fit.
              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I thought about that, but I don't have quite enough swing on my lathe so I'd have to pay somebody to do this. And if I ever need to replace it, I'll be right back in the same boat; by altering the caliper mount (a non-moving, non-wearing part), it will simplify things later.

'78E original owner
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                  I thought about that, but I don't have quite enough swing on my lathe so I'd have to pay somebody to do this. And if I ever need to replace it, I'll be right back in the same boat; by altering the caliper mount (a non-moving, non-wearing part), it will simplify things later.

'78E original owner
                  Hi Steve,
                  lotsa those disks around, if ever you go back to stock you can easily buy another one.
                  Leave the disk on the bike, remove the caliper, put the bike on it's centerstand, run it in 1st gear on high idle and take an angle grinder to to the disk O.D. as it rotates.
                  Take it slow and allow lots of cooling time for the disk and for the motor.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                  X