What y'all think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What y'all think?

Ok first off I have been infected with this XS/XJ1100 sickness..of which I have no doubt...Been that way for 27 yrs...in recent years it has worsened. My latest affliction is a 1981 XS1100 Venture... Now that in itself isnt too bad but...the bike is 1000miles away. I am pretty sure I will go see it and ride it...if I go it will most likely be a buy...I would want to fly in and ride home...the bike looks like its roadworthy...but Do I take the chance riding it home unproven? Would I be better off driving there and if I buy it then rent a trailer and bring it home that way? I am not going to divulge who or where this bike is ...as I'd like first shot at it...but my question is more in how should I pick it up?
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

I bought a bike in Wisconsin a few years ago... flew up and was going to ride it home. When I got there, it had more problems than what the owner had told me about and I ended up flying home and had several more problems with the owner after that...
    I'd be careful about planning on riding home an unproven bike... Trailering would give you a bit more peace of mind, I would think...
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Comment

Buying anything sit unseen is at best a guess. Even after you look one over carefully, you will still find stuff you missed that can be big items.

I understand the desire to have a ride home on it. But, the trailer gives you much more options. You could always bring the trailer and ride it as much as you feel safe to on the way anyhow.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

You could also fly there and if it's roadworthy, ride it. If it isn't, rent a u-haul 10' truck and pull it inside. May also check to see if there is a member in the area who isn't looking to buy and have them scope it out for you. I know I would if it were within reasonable distance.
        1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
        2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

Comment

What y'all say makes sense...add to that...I hate to fly anywhere...the last time was in 1985...LOL I'd have to rent a trailer one way to bring it home...but it would be a 2000 mile round trip in the car...Now I would not consider it at all if I did not think this is a fine specimen of a Venturer...Still people in my family think I'm nuts...
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hitch on the ST....trailer and haul it. Classic advise, what else did you expect from me?....lol.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
              Still people in my family think I'm nuts...
              Geez Ben... you say that like it's a bad thing...
              lol
              81 SH Something Special
              81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
              81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
              80 LG Black Magic
              78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
              For those on FB

Comment

I bought one of mine from a member don07tencalv or something like that. I flew from here in southern Maryland to way over on the far side of Tennessee and rode it home...
                Had a problem losing the only key for it on the way home in Nashville...
                Made myself giggle a few times wondering wtf I had gotten myself into but I made it...
                Go for it Ben
                "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                1981 LH

Comment

Kat...If ya only knew....LOL
                  Brant...a trailer on an ST trailering another bike...now that would be NUTS!
                  DuWayne... I just might go for it yet...I'll bet you had a few oh sh!+ moments losing that key...I've done that before too...
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

You coulda made it.

Originally posted by draketrumpet View Post
                    You could also fly there and if it's roadworthy, ride it. If it isn't, rent a u-haul 10' truck and pull it inside. May also check to see if there is a member in the area who isn't looking to buy and have them scope it out for you. I know I would if it were within reasonable distance.
                    A wise man learns from his mistakes, A wiser man learns from the mistakes from others.
                    Fly there, get the u-haul, drive home, drop off the u-haul, drive 1000 miles around your neighbourhood, then get back to us and say you coulda MADE IT.
                    Some make 'em, most just make payments on 'em!
                    1978 XS 1100E
                    Vance & Hines Slip on Straight Shot Exhaust
                    K & N Air filter
                    Home built forward controls
                    Vulcan Mustang seat
                    A little chopped

http://s812.photobucket.com/albums/zz42/Brad_099/

Comment

Just have it shipped to you. You know you'll buy it if you go look. Better yet...why don't you drive that Maxim up here and I'll trade you for my old van. Then you can pickup the new bike and I'll help with that much needed storage space.
                      79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                      80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                      80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                      79 DT 100

Comment

Originally posted by xs11lover View Post
                        Just have it shipped to you. You know you'll buy it if you go look. Better yet...why don't you drive that Maxim up here and I'll trade you for my old van. Then you can pickup the new bike and I'll help with that much needed storage space.
                        Between the cost of a one way ticket to this "city" and riding back 1000 miles plus travel expenses ...would be very close in cost to having a motorcycle shipper deliver it. As for trading the Maxim for your old van...No...LOL But thanks for the laugh... However due to the limited storage space I have...I might need to sell of one of my other bikes as i just dont need 3 bikes.
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                          A wise man learns from his mistakes, A wiser man learns from the mistakes from others.
                          Fly there, get the u-haul, drive home, drop off the u-haul, drive 1000 miles around your neighbourhood, then get back to us and say you coulda MADE IT.
                          HUH? LMAO....I think I need more coffee..LOL
                          1980 XS650G Special-Two
                          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I say to have a little faith in your fellow man. Ask if there's someone that can go look at it. 99.9% of the people would never screw you over and would gladly help you out. Quit worrying about that .1% and ask for help. Could you even FATHOM someone asking YOU to look at a bike for them.. and you go over there and buy it and keep it for yourself instead?

Our little XS community seems to have some pretty decent folks... except that one guy, Greg, in Tulsa. Anyone that did that to you would be ridiculed to no end. What fun would it be to have a 30+ year old bike that you couldn't ride with others like it? And worst case scenario... it may take a couple years, but there'll be another one come up for sale that you like. And like you said.. you already have two bikes.. it's not like you NEED it to be able to ride.

You're talking of spending a lot of money just because you can't trust anybody. Most on here love the chance to help.. to pay it forward. Let them help... have them ride it around and take lots of pics for you and give you an honest assesment of it as to whether they think it would make it or not. Keoki in Austin looked one over for me a couple times, and lots have done it for others.

Just my 2 cents.

Tod
                            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100
                            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

1000 miles

Thats not to far. I went to Reno, from Texas to get the Cruise Missle. About 1400 miles one way. I wanted to ride it home, but glad I didn't. It was 6 degrees in Flagstaff when I came back through. I think you aught to have someone check it out for you. Just my 2 cents. I would have never bought The Cruise Missle if people on this site hadn't vouched for it.
                              RODS454
                              "I'd rather be fishin'"
                              1980sg "Cruise Missle"
                              2002A Goldwing

Comment

Working...
                              X