Nitrogen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitrogen

My wife read in the local rag that the town next to us is seting up a nitrogen in your tires station. My first thought was that air all ready contains 80% nitrogen. My next thought was that this is a scam. My wife says that the service is free, but you must call ahead for an apointment. My third thought is that what do you do with a slow leak and you are on your vacation? Soooo.... does anyone know what is this nitrogen in the tires business?
    Ole jack
    J.D."Jack" Smith
    1980G&S "Halfbreed"
    1978E straight job
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

works?

I have heard it keeps your tires inflated longer
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

been around a long time, a lot of tire change places advertise it.

The idea is that nitrogen doesn't expand and contract as much as "air" when heated and cooled, this means a more consistent pressure in your tires which can reduce wear and increase mileage - or that is the claim.

I've yet to see any real scientific - or even somewhat scientific - evidence to support the claimed benefits. The idea that it expands less is true.

Race teams use nitrogen because to them tire pressure is very important - and because race tires get hotter.

If your using nitrogen, no worries about filling up with regular air if your away from a nitrogen station.
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

A lot of the new car dealers sell all their cars with nitrogen in the tires to begin with. What I'm not sure about is, how do they remove ALL the "air" from the tire before adding nitrogen? They would have to install the tire in a nitrogen bubble devoid of air to prevent that from happening.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

IMO, it is a scam. I got my tires for my truck at one of those places that have been advertising the nitrogen for years, only because it was the cheapest deal on what I wanted.

As stated, air is roughly 80% or so nitrogen to start with. Nitrogen will decrease corrosion in metal. Otherwise, it is not that big of a deal.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Hey, if we put in oxygen instead, would it make the bike lighter? (ducking)

Comment

IIRC the first use of nitrogen in a tire was for high performance and high altitude jets. Nitrogen doesn't expand like regular air at higher temps and lower atmospheric pressure. I think the space shuttle even uses it. In gas charged struts they use N because it is dry and prevents corrosion.

Someone has already explained the race application.

If it were me, I would use propane in the tires. If you run out of gas, you could MacGuyver the engine to run on the propane. Or NO2 could work if you need an emergency performance boost. hehe.
              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I think its mostly a scam too, I'm all for it if it doesn't cost me anything, but I'm not going to go out of my way, or pay, to have my tires filled with nitrogen. I'm also not going to lose sleep over filling my nitrogen filled tires with air from my home compressor to top them up.
                1979 xs1100 Special -
                Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                My Bike:
                [link is broken]

Comment

Hey Psycoreefer: Im kinda like you - we have a local car dealer in my town that has been advertising & doing this for maybe 4 yrs now, & he'll fill bike tires, he charges so much a tire. I just can't pay for something that is free - like air. The whole bottled water thing still has my head shaking - Dan
                  '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
                  1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
                  Rebuilt head, valves
                  TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
                  Tkat Fork Brace
                  T.C. Spade Fuse Box
                  Dyna Coils & wires
                  Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
                  ISO grips with stelleto ends
                  4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
                  Bridgestone Spitfires
                  Tuned by Tinman905
                  & a will to keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by ManitoulinLad View Post
                    ... The whole bottled water thing still has my head shaking - Dan
                    Not that I currently do either, but you probably don't live anywhere where the water tastes like you are drinking from the public pool.
                    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by 81xsproject View Post
                      Not that I currently do either, but you probably don't live anywhere where the water tastes like you are drinking from the public pool.
                      Yeah, our water here tastes pretty bad, so we use bottled water for that reason only. It does make it so you can stand more water, and they say it's good for your health. (water that is).
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I prefer my bottled water with hops and barley..

I've heard that the oxygen molecules were smaller than the nitrogen. Depending on where you read it, what they taught us for diving was normal air was 21% oxygen, 78% nitrogen, and 1% "Other"? lol. But supposedly, the rubber tire lets the oxygen molecules escape and leaves the nitrogen behind. So theoretically, if you've had a tire for a while and topped it off a few times with air over the months, it should be mostly nitrogen anyway.

And yeah, 100% nitrogen is good in a high heat situation, like the tires of a landing jet and such. For the average guy... worthless.

Tod
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I just can't pay for something that is free - like air.
                          Air ain't been free in these parts for YEARS, the filling stations have compressor vending machines, drop in 75 cents for 2 minutes. Top up all five tires in the cage and you can throw 2-3 dollars away.

Comment

Randy, you just got to get quicker about things...I can get all four in on 75cents.

Of course, I also just use my air compressor here at home which is still not free as I pay for the electricity to run the compressor.
                            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

Bicycle pump is almost free, just costs the calories you use to fill up the tire, and any needed maintenance on the pump...good exercise too...if you have a slow leak it'd be a viable alternative to gym membership...
                              Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Working...
                              X