No announcement yet.

Nitrogen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They stuck water in a bottle and made it a mulit-billion dollar business. Why not? If I'm living in a place where the bottled water tastes better than tap water. It's time for me to move.
    Last edited by mstic2000; 04-21-2010, 08:05 PM.
    My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

I think I'd try a decent water filter before moving..

Either that, or just drink beer.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Funny thing about that Tod, my compnay had an office in a small local town where the water just sucked, tasted like crap. We (meaning I as office manager) bought bottled water from the local Sams club. So I thought of buying a filter system and after looking at the cost of the system and the cost of the replacement filters per gallon of water, it was cheaper to keep buying the bottled water.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

my compnay had an office in a small local town where the water just sucked, tasted like crap.
          Quit following the dog's lead and drinking from the toilet.

Or at least flush first..

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
            been around a long time, a lot of tire change places advertise it.

The idea is that nitrogen doesn't expand and contract as much as "air" when heated and cooled, this means a more consistent pressure in your tires which can reduce wear and increase mileage - or that is the claim.

I've yet to see any real scientific - or even somewhat scientific - evidence to support the claimed benefits. The idea that it expands less is true.

Race teams use nitrogen because to them tire pressure is very important - and because race tires get hotter.

If your using nitrogen, no worries about filling up with regular air if your away from a nitrogen station.
            Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
            A lot of the new car dealers sell all their cars with nitrogen in the tires to begin with. What I'm not sure about is, how do they remove ALL the "air" from the tire before adding nitrogen? They would have to install the tire in a nitrogen bubble devoid of air to prevent that from happening.
            Having been "Tire Guy" for a race team: The reason racers use Nitrogen is two fold. It is the cheapest way to get compressed "air" in the pits. Bottled nitrogen is DRY. The moisture trapped inside a tire will flash to steam at the temps encountered in highspeed competition. not likely on road use.
            To remove the moist air in a freshly installed tire we simply inflated without the valve installed and let it blow off. Refill then install the valve and top off
            to exact pressure. ( which changes with ambient air temp) so don't leave in the sun on a hot day.
            Raceday most nitrogen is consumed(released) by the air guns which also prefer dry air.
            Phil
            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Yeah I guess I live in a not bad place - you can drink the water right out of the lake (Mindemoya) without any probs its spring fed. We do get town water from this lake, they add chlorine & filter, tastes fine. My local gas station still has the air for free with an outside meter- I just fill up my air pig a couple times a year with it or go to the station. But there is one station that has a coin operated thing for air - so i guess the city is moving in - Dan
              '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
              1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
              Rebuilt head, valves
              TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
              Tkat Fork Brace
              T.C. Spade Fuse Box
              Dyna Coils & wires
              Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
              ISO grips with stelleto ends
              4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
              Bridgestone Spitfires
              Tuned by Tinman905
              & a will to keep it.

Comment

Being in the refridge trade i have a ready supply of nitrogen and have used it in my bike tyres for years. I dont have separate hot or cold tyre pressure settings, just one for all seasons. I used to use it my forks as well, before I went to progressive springs. I don't have the "science" to back up it's use other than the constant pressure advantages and the lack of moisture, and if it wasnt free I wouldnt use it, but I do notice that when changing tyres the rim shows none of the signs of moisture corrosion that you normally see in air filled tyres.
                1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

One of the other 'selling points' for nitrogen in tires is, being an inert gas, it supposedly causes less deterioration to the inner liner.

'78E original owner
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Yeah cuz so many of us here have tires last long enough for the inner liner to wear out from chemical reactions with air in the tire. Given how much I've been riding I'll be happy just to get the whole season out of this set I've got now.
                    1979 xs1100 Special -
                    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                    My Bike:
                    [link is broken]

Comment

as a former aircraft mechainc I can tell you that nitrogen goes into commercial aircraft tires. It stays more stable with temp changes and it doesn't have all the water vapor in it that compressed air does.
                      1980 XS1100G
                      Tulsa, OK

Comment

I am personally going to stick with air, but I still have a question. Aren't the recommended tire pressures determined so that you fill your tires cold, and then the pressure rises to the proper pressure when you drive on them and they warm up. Does this mean that if you are filling your tires with nitrogen you need to figure out the difference in expansion rates to fill your tires to determine the proper pressure? I am sure that the difference is quite minimal, but tire pressure effects the handling of a motorcycle far more than an automobile.
                        Dave
                        1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

Originally posted by lakecountrydave View Post
                          I am personally going to stick with air, but I still have a question. Aren't the recommended tire pressures determined so that you fill your tires cold, and then the pressure rises to the proper pressure when you drive on them and they warm up. Does this mean that if you are filling your tires with nitrogen you need to figure out the difference in expansion rates to fill your tires to determine the proper pressure? I am sure that the difference is quite minimal, but tire pressure effects the handling of a motorcycle far more than an automobile.
                          Nah, way too much science. I just went a couple of pounds over the cold rating from the manual which left me with 30 and 38, front and rear. Handles fine at that. I check them before any major ride and top up on monthly basis if required. Generally never takes more than a lb or so, unless theres a leak. If I have to top up any significant amount on the road I just use air and then drain and refill at home. I use my refridge manifold with a quick release schreader adaptor, which is more than most people have to work with, to get pretty acurate pressures but as I said earlier if the gas wasnt "free" I wouldnt bother with the hassle.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Hey, This is really informative,

especially when my learnin' is backed up with all the science that you guys supply. What saddens me is that although there are some fact used in tire sellers ads, the benifits do not help the average driver. In fact, a good friend of mine dropped by and during our chat, he said that he got nitrogen in his truck tires. I don't want to make him feel bad, so I said "oh, how much did the dealer charge?" He said $10 a tire. To me that was so outrageous that I was speechless, I just couldn't hurt his feelings, so I just changed the subject. Usually he checks with me first be cause he knows I will do the research to get him the right answer. But, this time.....
                            Ole Jack
                            J.D."Jack" Smith
                            1980G&S "Halfbreed"
                            1978E straight job
                            "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

Thats just good enterprising business , outrageous but enterprising. I've always said that one could nail 2 bits of wood together, create a myth aound it, adverstise it and someone, somewhere is gonna pay for it.

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
                                Yeah cuz so many of us here have tires last long enough for the inner liner to wear out from chemical reactions with air in the tire. Given how much I've been riding I'll be happy just to get the whole season out of this set I've got now.
                                I hear that! Hey, if air is 80% nitrogen anyway how come the outside of the tires always wears out so much faster than the inside? We're all being ripped off!

Regards,

Scott
                                -- Scott
                                _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                                1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                                1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                                1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                                1979 XS1100F: parts
                                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                                X