No announcement yet.

Ripped off by member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know most of the questions in this thread involve specials....my question is, will a special seat fit a standard frame? 1980 frame, 81 special seat. i am looking to incorporate the seat/grabrail/tail light from a special to my standard, and would like to know if it will bolt up........
    '81H (my first XS ) "Grey Ghost"
    Stock Pilots/ 110 mains (to change)
    4:1 Jardine w/ headerwrap
    Windjammer(wiring issues)
    SonyMarine unit for Ipod/Polk Speakers
    New paint/brakes to come!!
    ===============
    '80G FrankenBike (parts bike)
    ===============
    '80G to fix "BlackSunshine"
    Stock Pilots/125 mains
    Pod filters; 4:1 Kerker??
    SS Brake lines w/ new M/C's
    LED Brake Lite
    Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

Nice JIGGLE ... lmao ..

Yes the seat will bolt up ...BUT ... the side covers probably won't follow the line of the seat's profile where they meet nor will the tank match up at the snout of the seat. IMHO, an ill-advised swap.
      80G Mini-bagger
      VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
      79SF eventually dismantled for parts
      79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
      79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
      79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Nice JIGGLE
        Yeah.. Still not sure if I've ever actually read anything Tom has written..

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Yes, it's a loose fit at the front because of the tank difference and you can't use your helmet lock or get your side covers off. So no tool box access to get the seat off unless you do the quick release mod to the seat hold downs.

Originally posted by TomRodgers View Post
          I know most of the questions in this thread involve specials....my question is, will a special seat fit a standard frame? 1980 frame, 81 special seat. i am looking to incorporate the seat/grabrail/tail light from a special to my standard, and would like to know if it will bolt up........
          Richard

Comment

Gotcha....

Reason being, im trying to add a grab bar/taillight assembly off of a special to 'Sunshine...in the hopes of cleaning up the rear fender a bit....translated....cutting it much shorter to expose some rubber from the rear, and add extra brake lights so that i can increase my presence to the 'cagers' out there.....there hasnt been a tool box on any of my bikes...PO's must have ditched them.....

Anybody have an extra seat from a special laying around that i could test fit it and see???? the donor bike the grab bar came from is LONG gone......
            ===============
            ===============
            Stock Pilots/125 mains
            LED Brake Lite
            Needs paint....

It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt....

Comment

i wonder if 'modifying' a standard seat pan would work???? like cutting off the rear couple of inches of pan/foam would work? the pan off of Frankenbike may be useable......
              ===============
              ===============
              Stock Pilots/125 mains
              LED Brake Lite
              Needs paint....

Comment

So I finally get a PM from him over 6 months later and this is what he says.

<quote>im sorry, but i sent you email a few days after your first reply. stateing i would send you another seat. i cant be responsible for your oversights. it been several months now and i dont have the other seat now. besides you stated on xs11 that i ripped you off. do what you need to do. you have a xs 11 seat and you seen pictures of it before we made the deal. if i can find the email i sent you i will post it so all can see. good bye, rowdyboy321 </quote>

1. I have every single email that I have ever received and sent and I am able to quickly filter them. I did not receive any email from him regarding this nor PM through this website. He either sent it to the wrong email address or he is lying. I believe him to be lying because I sent multiple PMs during the time that I posted this thread and he never responded to any of them.

2. Yeah, I saw pictures of the seat to make sure that it was in good shape but I can't distinguish between the different model seats. He sold it to me as a 80 Special seat, I bought an 80 Special seat, but I did not GET an 80 Special seat.

3. He ignores every PM and email and vanishes from the site for a few months. I see that he has recently returned and I start contacting him about it again and now he finally replies to me and basically says too bad too sad!?! I don't think so buddy, I don't let **** slide like that. Give me an 80 Special seat or return the money *******. It was your mistake, not mine.
                1980 XS1100SG
                1998 KLR 650

Comment

Sorry to hear what happened.

Where in WI are you located? I am over by Milwaukee.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

email, i sent to this fellow. the address is correct

To: tonyh(at*)thebottle.org
                    Subject: RE: seat
                    Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 15:03:30 -0400

try taking the grab rail off then it will fit. then put grab rail back on.the seat will fit but you cant use that style of grabbrail.
                    if that does'nt work i have another seat like the one you have, but dont have the high back if you pay shipping ill send it to you if you like. you not going to find seat of different style to fit, unless you remove the grabb rail permently, because the rail narrows way down at back. ive had same problem with that rail in past so i changed to a different grabb rail.
                    jwm/ whitetail hunter
                    Last edited by 81xsproject; 10-07-2010, 06:42 AM.
                    79 xs 1100 spec & 80 xs 1100 g

Comment

Hey Rowdy,

I have no dog in the fight so to speak as to this deal. And I am not going to comment on any of it.

I will say that is a stock seat rail for the 80-81 Special models and there are seats that fit it like a glove. It just has to be the seat from an 80 or 81 Special. The seat pictured is not from an 80 or 81 Special. Those seats raise up in the back to clear the tail light.

Here is a recovered version I got RPGoerlich.

Clearly fits and follows the seat rail nicely.

This is a King/Queen style seat for an 80-81 XS11 Special, recently sold to a forum member.

Here is what the pan looks like

And here it is mounted on an 81 Special

Here is the stock seat mounted..

The stock seat follows th lines the best, but there are alternatives that fit pretty close. Alot closer than what is pictured as the seat he was sold. At no time have I ever had to remove the seat rail to get the seat to mount correctly.

Just to show what is available.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

I am updating this thread to let everyone know that rowdy and me have come to a satisfactory agreement and this situation is now rectified. He has corrected the problem and everyone that has read this should be aware of it.
                        1980 XS1100SG
                        1998 KLR 650

Comment

Originally posted by thebottle View Post
                          I am updating this thread to let everyone know that rowdy and me have come to a satisfactory agreement and this situation is now rectified. He has corrected the problem and everyone that has read this should be aware of it.
                          Good to hear man. I have had good luck ordering from him, glad it worked out even if it took awhile.
                          Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Working...
                          X