X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripped off by member

I posted that I needed a seat here:
    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27077

rowdyboy321 and me made the deal and he sent me a seat that does not fit.

I took pictures of the seat by my bike and asked for him to either send me another seat or to refund the money and I would send this seat back to him. I haven't heard word from him for over a week and a half. I both emailed him and PM him through the board.

You can see the seat that he sent me here:
    http://tonyh.imgur.com/seat

Now I need the right foot-stand bracket and the long engine mounting bolt that goes in the rear. If anyone has either of those and selling let me know. I'm crunched for time right now but I will search for it later.

Anyway, just wanted to let people know not to do business with him because he hasn't handled this matter appropriately. I apologize if he is on vacation or there is some valid reason for it. I believe I have given him adequate time though.
    1980 XS1100SG
    1998 KLR 650

Even tho it been re-done, sides of pan configuration look to be for the 81Standard, maybe even the 80G.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

You know, one of the most confusing things on these bikes, is what part fits on another model or not. I am a pretty quick study and like working on the ones I have enough that I pay pretty close attention to these things. And yet, not having owned anything but an SH, I am still trying to narrow down exactly what seats from the earlier and or standard models fit what other bikes. Combine that with the fact that alot of times a PO or even long time ebay sellers will sell stuff saying it fits all models and then they do not.

So, Rowdy may well have thought he had the right thing for you, and now finds he was wrong. Or may think your confused. Looking at that seat, it is either from a standard, or from a 79 Special. I am still learning to spot the differences. But the 80 and or 81 specials seats are stepped up in the back to clear the tail light and more or less follow the seat grab rail. JAT
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

looks like it fits to me

and I don't think the folks here are TRYING to mess anybody over - it is more likely that a simple mistake was made.

If you communicated by PM, maybe he hasn't logged in lately.

Anyway seems a strong way to try and resolve it - It were me I would sell off the seat that didn't fit and chalk it up to not finding the right part.

John in San Antonio
        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I sold rowdyboy a seat a while back and it was off of an 80 standard.Not the seat pictured, maybe that is his old seat.It was a smooth transaction and he paid promptly and notified me when it arrived.
          I think I would give him a little more time.He seemed on the up and up to me. Maybe a misunderstanding about model?
          80 SG XS1100
          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I just checked, and he visited the site on the 15th of this month.

That seat has a prominent driver section dip before it goes to the passenger section and so at a quick glance, could be confused with the 80 or 81 seats, but the rounded BUTT section is definitely from the earlier 79 series bikes.

I would like to suggest that hopefully he will see this thread, and that he get in touch with you to resolve this matter in PRIVATE.

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yeah, like I said I tried to resolve the matter in private and have given him adequate time. I PM on here so if he was on the board the 15th then he most likely has read it. I emailed to his personal email address and when he was selling to me he was extremely responsive with email so he probably checks it every few hours or at least every day judging by how fast he was replying. Now I have not heard anything at all for what is now over a week and a half when I informed him of this issue.

If he made a mistake then that is fine. I'm not bitching about that and I will take the hit on shipping costs... what I am bitching about is him disappearing and not being responsible and others should be made aware of it.
              1980 XS1100SG
              1998 KLR 650

Comment

"Now I need the right foot-stand bracket and the long engine mounting bolt that goes in the rear. If anyone has either of those and selling let me know. I'm crunched for time right now but I will search for it later."
                I have the parts you need. Both foot peg/exhaust mounts for a 80sg. Already polished and ready to mount. I'm sure I could find the bolts too.
                Nice seat anyway.......looks like it's from a 79 special or 80 or 81 standard.
                If you remove the grab bar...does it fit the tank snug? or is there a gap between the seat and tank top.
                79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                79 DT 100

Comment

That seat is from an 80-81 Standard, it's not from a Special of any vintage.

Comment

Originally posted by xs11lover View Post
                    "Now I need the right foot-stand bracket and the long engine mounting bolt that goes in the rear. If anyone has either of those and selling let me know. I'm crunched for time right now but I will search for it later."
                    I have the parts you need. Both foot peg/exhaust mounts for a 80sg. Already polished and ready to mount. I'm sure I could find the bolts too.
                    Nice seat anyway.......looks like it's from a 79 special or 80 or 81 standard.
                    If you remove the grab bar...does it fit the tank snug? or is there a gap between the seat and tank top.
                    Yeah, I tried that and there is way too large of a gap between the tank and the front of the seat and it looked funny all around.

Andreas has me covered for those parts, but thanks for the help.
                    1980 XS1100SG
                    1998 KLR 650

Comment

Correct...

Originally posted by John View Post
                      That seat is from an 80-81 Standard, it's not from a Special of any vintage.
                      I second that deduction

Just for the record I have delt with rowdyboy321 in the past and have had a XSceptionally smooth transaction. Hopefully He and His folks are ok and you guys get things sorted out. Step back, take a breath, I'm positive He'll set things straight.
                      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

i'm lookijng for a seat like that for my '81 xs11, i have a king n queen seat now. how do u kno what will fit? what to buy?

Comment

As I stated earlier, the seats and which one fits what is one of the toughest things to figure out. And if you never had the right one for oyur bike, it can be REALLY tough to identify the right one.

On the Special models for 80-81 the seats will interchange. A key thing to look for is that the seat is stepped, has kind of points on the side where it dips down to match the side covers, and in the back it steps up so it is really thin to clear the rear tail light. Look at these pictures and you can see the difference from the one shown above.

As seen in the earlier pics, the Standard seats are a little flatter. They also have the full back as shown. I have never owned a Standard or a 78-79 model, so you will have to look and determine some of the detail on those models.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

DGXSER....very nice 81 special....and yes you are very right, was not sure myself at one time but a standard seat will not fit my 81 special. Bad luck on my part...o well someone will need it someday I am looking for the highback style but will deal with the regular. got to get with Andreas about petcocks too....sheesh the list keeps growing.....but its my first rebuild on one of these and I want to do it right, and get it done before my current ride needs to be rebuilt again
                            1981 xs1100sh ( new project )
                            1978 kz650sr
                            God is great...Beer is good....people are frikkin crazy!!!

Comment

unknown seat

Except that your seat cover is different, it is just my 1979 xs1100 special. there is a downward v shape on the pic which is not on my 1980 std. it is straight with long slow curve on bottom.
                              what did you pay for it? thanks wayne

Comment

Working...
                              X