Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
    I use:

3 big screwdrivers, hammer, valve core removal tool, dish soap, compressor. After the old tire is off, make sure you wire wheel the rim to get the old crap off at the bead mounting surface. After the new tire is mounted, it may be necessary to add up to 70 psi to get the tire fully seated on the rim, YMMV.
    Screwdrivers can be used (and I've been as guilty of this as the next guy) but a 'real' set of tire irons is a better choice. The sharp edges on the 'drivers can mar the soft aluminum pretty easily. Or pick up a set of 'rim protectors'. As to going as high as 70 psi (!!!???) to seat the bead, I'd be very careful. At that pressure, when that tire slams home you may risk breaking the rim and death/injury is a possibility. Clean and/or relube until it seats at a reasonable pressure (> 50 psi). Wacking the tire with a large rubber hammer has helped seat the bead also.

Being the cheapskate that I am, I've always mounted my own bike tires, but it is a chore. A 'third hand' can be very handy (SWMBO if I'm desperate), but it's doable by yourself...

'78E original owner
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by MrOzz View Post
      If i decide to change the tires myself what will be needed? - - -
      Hi Ozz,
      what bikerphil said except DO NOT USE big screwdrivers. Proper tire irons work far better and have nice rounded ends to not mark the rims so much or nip the inner tubes as easily if you are going to use tubes.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Yep, real tire irons would be much better. My big screwdrivers suck and have worn down tips.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
        X