swapping out carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gas in airbox

thankyou for the info i will try both of theses ,drop the carbs again pull the bowls, and check the seats on thesefloats , now for the petcocks your saying no fuel should come out in the run position or the reserve position or the prime until a vacum is drawn correct last year no problem, after market kit was installed, also had problems with no. 3 and4 air mixture screws tips braking off, got those out
    with the tips that were given, thankyou
    mike.s

Comment

Petcock

Originally posted by rizzo4u2 View Post
      thankyou for the info i will try both of theses ,drop the carbs again pull the bowls, and check the seats on thesefloats , now for the petcocks your saying no fuel should come out in the run position or the reserve position or the prime until a vacum is drawn correct last year no problem, after market kit was installed, also had problems with no. 3 and4 air mixture screws tips braking off, got those out
      with the tips that were given, thankyou
      The only time fuel should come out of the petcock is when the handle is in the "Prime" posistion. These petcocks do not need vacuum in the "Prime posistion for fuel to flow. Like everyone else said in this post, if you are getting fuel in the airbox, you have 2 problems. The petcocks are leaking and you also have leaking float valve. Make sure you change the oil before running it with gas in the lube oil!!
      78 XS1100E Standard
      Coca Cola Red
      Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

i will check th e petcocks no.1then check all the float seals ,no.2 thenchange the oil after all this ill get back to you in a couple days to let you no the results , thanks again
        mike.s

Comment

Hey Rizzo,

It may be too late, you're probably already out in the garage tinkering, but the upper "T" vent tubes are actually quite CRITICAL that they are clear and venting....otherwise, they WILL cause the carbs to flood even with good float valves.

Folks have found that the ports that they had the hoses plugged into in the AIR BOX were clogged, and so they weren't venting!

Be sure to check the vent hoses, that you can BLOW air thru the "T"s into the carbs thru the hoses....the can get clogged in the "T"s as well, and then check the Airbox ports....or if you're using Pods, then be sure the hoses are connected to a venting "T" fitting tucked up under the tank, so that AIR can get into the hoses and provide the proper balancing pressure for the float bowls!! JAT!!

T.C.

PS, doing a search for alternate carbs or such should reveal a few threads with info about other carbs from other years/models that folks have been able to make fit with minor mods...IIRC it was the FJ carbs...newer parts still available, etc., but also GXSR as well!?
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

problems as usual

well i checked the carbs again, dropped the bowls and found one looked a little heavy ,pulled it it had fuel in it replaced it with another i had, all others are fine , blew everything out also the t fiitings everything is good, mounted back up, pulled the plugs to clean again , now i have another problem ,noticed that the no, 2 plug did not seat well, the plug whole is stripped out, okay pull the head or heliocore it what do you think
            mike.s

Comment

IMO, you do both. I would add the helicoil kit, but I would pull the head to do it. Last thing I would want is the metal drill filings from installing the helicoil in my cylinder.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by rizzo4u2 View Post
                pull the head or heliocore it what do you think
                Try a thread chaser first...
                "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                1981 LH

Comment

+1 on the thread chaser. A bit of oil on the chaser will pick up any small chips. Do a few turns, a little at a time. Each time go a few turns deeper. Clean off and re-oil the chaser between runs. I've saved many a plug hole that way.

Comment

Good luck finding a thread chaser. I tried to find one here, but they were only for the standard automotive threads, so motorcycle stuff is out.

Good news is that Snapon will ship you one, I think mine was less than $5 shipped.
                    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Lisle makes 'em, 14mm one end, 18mm the other end. Most of the shops up this way carry Lisle tools.

Comment

Working...
                      X