Yamaha paint codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha paint codes

Does anyone have an idea of where to get the paint codes for these old bikes?
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
    It's in the ser. # if you can figure out the #. Bet someone here knows.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396

Comment

Hi Greg,
      I think he means the "recipe" for the colour. If i recall the research indicates that these bikes predate the "code" system.

Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

paint guy can match anything?

My local paint guy told me over the phone that they can match almost anything, that may be why you cant really get those small spray cans like you could twenty yrs ago, its not necessary due to computer matching. He told me that he could match most anything for touch up on a car, for ten bux for eight ounces of paint. If my guy can do that, in this rather smaller size city, seems like your local auto parts may be able to do the same.
        Last edited by yamtom; 02-06-2010, 01:07 AM. Reason: missing words
        Bikes Now.
        80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
        79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
        83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
        83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
        08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

I can have it scanned, but they want me to buy their paint. I have a buddy that can mix the PPG paint. He is willing to spray it free for the cost of the little bit of clear we use, and a little paint. I may have to do it that way, but i would rather he mix it, so at a latter point i can get more mixed by the same machine, by his specs. Not having much luck. I did find the name of the paint, it was called new Yamaha black. They thought long and hard on that name. The gold is called nebula gold.
          1980 XS1100LG Midnight

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Comment

Color Rite paint code

I was just checking myself on the colors and had found the color name for a 79F is Indigo Blue. ColorRite.com has that as code 004E. They make rattle cans, touch up bottle/brush, pints and quarts if I am not mistaken. I can not ascertain this paint code is the correct color for the bike though. Since they don't stock anything prior to 1986, I searched for Indigo Blue and that code came up. The price is high at $33 for a spray can of paint and $16 for one of clear coat.
            79 XS1100F.
            SuperTrapp 4-1 w/center stand.
            TC's fuse box.
            SOFA filter.
            Venture cam chain adjuster.
            Tkat fork brace.
            Progressive fork springs.

Comment

As Phil said, these bike predate the code system. Codes for these colors just don't exist. The problem with color matching is that you are trying to match a 30-year-old paint job. That means you get the faded color, not the original. It would probably be best to strip it down and find the color you want, and just start from scratch.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

I think i have decided to find a nice black that i like in PPG, and go with it. The thing is, i didn't want to have to do the fenders, and side covers. By not matching the color, i am going to have to do all of it. Just more money i don't have right now. Guess i could ride this year with a off color tank though.
                1980 XS1100LG Midnight

Comment

Try a color match from the BOTTOM of the tank. Take it to the shop, have them give you a match, and then ask how much. Do a "choke" when they tell you the price, ask for the code for a "later date", and take it to your friend. Not always kosher, but if the shop is nice, you can do other business with them to make up for it.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

From the Colorite Site

Yamaha 006G New Yamaha Black (NYB)
                    SKU # : 5516
                    Vendor : ColorRite
                    Manufacturer : Yamaha
                    Manufacturer Code : 006G
                    Paint Applications Quantity Size :
                    Touch-up Pen +$15.95
                    Touch-up Jar +$20.95
                    Aerosol +$33.95
                    1/2 Pint +$86.95
                    Pint +$124.95
                    Quart +$197.95
                    All prices in US Dollars Add To Cart
                    Add to Wish List
                    Paint Application Information
                    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                    81 LH
                    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                      As Phil said, these bike predate the code system. Codes for these colors just don't exist. The problem with color matching is that you are trying to match a 30-year-old paint job. That means you get the faded color, not the original. It would probably be best to strip it down and find the color you want, and just start from scratch.
                      Noticing that since he wants to only paint the tank, he should match to the fenders or side covers.
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

http://www.pure-2-stroke-spirit.info...olor_codes.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
                          Hi Newbie,
                          it's been posted that the XS/XJ colours pre-date the paint code system.
                          Certainly you can take a fender or whatever to a scanner that will give a formula for a paint that will match the sample.
                          BUT
                          That sample has spent the last 3 decades in the sun getting faded. So you get a perfect match to a faded colour.
                          Trouble is, the original paint has most likely faded as much as it is likely to while the new paint ain't.
                          So in a year or so your expensive perfect match won't be one any more.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Tropic-al......just an FYI, Indigo Blue won't even be close! Was the name of the color, but nay on mixing by name! The actual color in a single stage is Carbon Blue-Black-effect. Actually is coded for 2000 Toyota, code210. Can have it pre-mixed in a can but will be minus the catylist and will work superbly for side covers. Tank, I would do a two-stage with clearcoat.
                            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Motoman

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                              Tropic-al......just an FYI, Indigo Blue won't even be close! Was the name of the color, but nay on mixing by name! The actual color in a single stage is Carbon Blue-Black-effect. Actually is coded for 2000 Toyota, code210. Can have it pre-mixed in a can but will be minus the catylist and will work superbly for side covers. Tank, I would do a two-stage with clearcoat.
                              Thanks for the heads up.
                              This will probably be an easier task as I need to paint a seat cowling (?). The part that goes behind the seat with the Yamaha emblem.
                              79 XS1100F.
                              SuperTrapp 4-1 w/center stand.
                              TC's fuse box.
                              SOFA filter.
                              Venture cam chain adjuster.
                              Tkat fork brace.
                              Progressive fork springs.

Comment

Working...
                              X