The motorcycle as an artform.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To chop, or not to chop...

My first bike was a hard tail. It was a Harley “Super 10” formerly known as a “165.” I road that bike for 2 years.
    Many, many moons later, visiting old friends in Eugene Oregon, I was loaned a Honda 750 four in a hard tail frame with extended forks to get around on. I get it! I wouldn't want to do an “Iron Butt” long distance ride on it (Though that would be entirely appropriate,) I can completely see the lure of "TT" (Tavern to Tavern) riding and freeway jamming on such a bike.

“My question was, should I make a nice bobber or stay stock? I really wasn't looking for anything more. I had no idea I would step on everybody's toes.” XS11lover

But dude, why do this to a low mileage, nice lookin' bike like you showed us? If you are going to bob a bike , start with a border line parts bike! I wouldn't even bob my bike, but Ray has a couple of parts bikes that would be candidates for chopping. These bikes are quickly disappearing: I would discourage you from expediting the process.
    Special Ed
    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
    I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

• I was never thinking of taking the shocks off, just thinking of cutting the frame behind the shock mounts. I understand it would be a bone head thing to do. That's why I couldn't make myself do it. Work on the bike is going forward, rebuilds and polish ect. I have not really changed much.....when everthing else is done..........I'll flip a coin........or maybe post a pic and take votes!
      79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
      80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
      80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
      79 DT 100

Comment

• Found these on the UK site.

Joe

78XS1100

Comment

• A honda but I like it.
          Joe

78XS1100

Comment

• That last one looked a lot like the one I was loaned in Eugene.
            Those blown dragsters were really, really cool! Thanks!
            Special Ed
            Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
            I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

• I'm really loving the looks of that green norton....
              1979 xs1100 Special -
              Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
              Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
              My Bike:
              [link is broken]

Comment

• An opportunity?

Hi List,
                on the one hand, there's all these rigid-frame conversions and all they need is a replacement frame with it's suspension intact.
                OTOH, there's all these vandals who've been ripping the engines out of XS11s to put them in poor-boy racecars.
                Which leaves a whole bunch of good unbutchered frames available.
                Needs a matchmaker, eh?
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                X