Dmm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dmm

Some where in this site is a list of what all the abbreviations stand for.......but i can't find it again.....help?
    DENNIS

1981 MNS..1980 CARBS , STOCK AIR BOX, FIVE 1/2" HOLES IN BACK OF MUFFLERS (SINCE COVERED UP WITH A BIG WASHER)

1983 HONDA 350R

1972 YAMAHA 250 MX

196? MONTESA 250 ENDURO STRIPPED DOWN

1967 BENEILI 125 ENDURO (NOWHERE NEAR BIG ENOUGH)

Dmm

Found the page but it didn't tell me what dmm stands for.......
    DENNIS

1981 MNS..1980 CARBS , STOCK AIR BOX, FIVE 1/2" HOLES IN BACK OF MUFFLERS (SINCE COVERED UP WITH A BIG WASHER)

1983 HONDA 350R

1972 YAMAHA 250 MX

196? MONTESA 250 ENDURO STRIPPED DOWN

1967 BENEILI 125 ENDURO (NOWHERE NEAR BIG ENOUGH)

Comment

Don't see that one.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=4846#post4846

Comment

Digital
        Multi
        Meter

Unless you do board-level electronics work, you don't want one anyway. But then, if you did, you might know the acronym If you do shop for a multimeter for use on the XS, get an analog one.

Excuse me now while I duck to avoid the flack. This subject can be a controversial one

Comment

Dmm stands for digital multi meter. The page with the acronyms is here http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1011
          2-79 XS1100 SF
          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
            Digital Multi Meter.
            Unless you do board-level electronics work, you don't want one anyway. But then, if you did, you might know the acronym If you do shop for a multimeter for use on the XS, get an analog one.
            Excuse me now while I duck to avoid the flack. This subject can be a controversial one
            Hi Randy,
            the readout style is irrelevant, what's important is the scale range.
            What the average electro-ignoramus needs is a meter that has settings that include those that read 0-20VDC and 0-10 Ohms and don't cost much.
            A meter that reads 0-10V, then 0-50V and has a single 5,000 Ohm scale is neither use nor ornament for checking bike stuff.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Fred, of course you're right, BUT. The point I try to make here as I have in the past is that the guys who ask questions like that one don't own one, and more than likely don't know how to use a multi-meter, regardless of readout type.

Often I see well-intentioned members advise newcomers to get the best meter they can find I just think it's a waste of cash and a digital can confuse the new user. Ever see a digital do the devil's dance while testing continuity through 30-yr old corroded connectors? Useless. A good old test-light would do a better job. DMM's are great for semiconductor work or for work on the latest automotive systems, but if you've never even used a meter before, are you really going to dive into work like that? Good luck.

So my advice (for newcomers) is go ahead and get a $10 harbor freight or dollar store analog meter. Learn what those ranges mean and how to interpret them. Then when you're ready, splurge on the $100 Fluke DMM and go nuts. But if you have to pick ONE that you wouldn't mind accidentaly running over in the driveway, well, I think I've made my point.

Comment

I agree. I own both an analog meter (non-powered, for voltage only) and a super-cheap digital one. I use both of them, total, about once a year. This last weekend was the first time I have EVER measured Ohms. I realized that my meter does not measure Ohms at a low enough level (starts at 2k) to work for everything, but it works well enough. If I used it more often, I might think about getting a nicer one, but my cheapo versions have served me well for the last 20 years.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

Walmart sells one

a digital meter with a temp probe for 17 bucks. Bought one(that makes five defferent ones spaning 40 yrs.) just for the temp probe to check temps on the headers. it's handy.
                  J.D."Jack" Smith
                  1980G&S "Halfbreed"
                  1978E straight job
                  "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

Cool. Jack, where did you get it? Online?

Comment

Yeah, I would love it for the temp probe. I have a decent DMM, but temp is the one thing I don't have (other than the cooking temp device and it's a little hard to use on the bike.
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                      X