Brittish Motorcycle Safety - 1960's Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brittish Motorcycle Safety - 1960's Style

Brought to me today via Things You Wouldn't Know If We Didn't Blog Incessantly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLAVx19vOZw
    I know this, because Tyler knows this.

1980 SG
    3J6 003509
    Kerker 4-1 (sans baffles)
    Fuse Block Upgrade
    Mike's XS Green Coils
    Pods w/Homemade Velocity Stacks

Interesting but they are driving on the wrong side of the road.

What kind of bikes were those? Looked kinda like Norton's but I couldn't see the emblem on the tank well enough.

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
      What kind of bikes were those? Looked kinda like Norton's but I couldn't see the emblem on the tank well enough.
      Careful Tom appears to be riding a Matchless, while Reckless Rick is on a Triumph. Both look to be 500 singles. No mirrors or turn sigs, but at least they're past the leather helment era....

'78E original owner
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

At about 5:40 in the video, it's a nice day and the guy gets off the bike to go get a newspaper. Then he comes out, and about 6:09 the temp. must have dropped about 30 degrees. It's all overcast and you can see his breath, lol. Also, never take your hands off the handlebars.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

A blast from the past...

Careful Tom appears to be riding a Matchless, while Reckless Rick is on a Triumph. Both look to be 500 singles. No mirrors or turn sigs, but at least they're past the leather helment era....
          Fred may be the best to identify the Triumph. To me it looks like a Tiger Cub which were a 200cc single cylinder that first appeared around 1953, the 500's were a twin. I think the Matchless may be a 350. Back in the 60's we had mostly English steel on our roads here and I recongnised many of the cars, some of which i've owned, including a couple of MK2 Zephers, a Morris Cowley, a Morris Minor and an Anglia Van. Lots of others like Vauxhalls, Morris Oxfords, Austins and a Humber Super Snipe bought back some memories.
          1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
          2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Hi b,
            I too recognised many of the cars. 1965 Ford Corsair the newest I identified. Bleak looking place England in the 60's
            I confess I had a pair of boots like that
            No indicators on my BSA Bantan either though I did add a mirror.
            Left foot braking and drum brakes.
            Come on Fred tell us all about it
            Phil
            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
              Fred may be the best to identify the Triumph. To me it looks like a Tiger Cub which were a 200cc single cylinder that first appeared around 1953, the 500's were a twin. I think the Matchless may be a 350....
              It was a SWAG on the CCs, as the smaller Brit bikes didn't have much of a presence in the US when I started riding. The Matchless was never common here in any case, and was nearly impossible to get parts for in the mid 60s. But I'll never forget that 'M' for Matchless, as a buddy had a 500 single that had been cut-down/modified into a dirt bike. All the torque of your average tractor, and it would throw you over the bars if you didn't kick it just right. The one in the video is only the third Matchless I've ever seen moving under it's own power.

Anybody remember Jawa? And when was the last time you saw a Bultaco or Huskavarna?

'78E original owner
              Last edited by crazy steve; 01-21-2010, 01:31 AM.
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

The matchless must be a 250 as its on L plates (learner) that was the maximum cc you could ride before passing your driving test. Oh and by the way their on the correct side of the road, its everyone else thats wrong!
                Rob
                XS Eleven SF
                Could this be the finest Triumph Bonneville ever built ?
                (Cycle January 1979)

Comment

1984 and Big Brother??

Did you notice that most of the time the good guy looked back, saw nobody, yet still took his hands off the bars and signaled? At the heart of it all, signals and signaling have a sender and an intended receiver. No point in waving his hands around if there wasn't anybody to see it.

Unless of course, he knew that someday there'd be those traffic cameras everywhere..

Comment

Originally posted by robbo View Post
                    The matchless must be a 250 as its on L plates (learner) that was the maximum cc you could ride before passing your driving test. Oh and by the way their on the correct side of the road, its everyone else thats wrong!
                    Hey robbo,

Welcome!

Sounds like you may be over visiting from the UK site.

Ok, fair enough Ive been over there raising hell lately. Turnabout is fairplay.

Comment

I think I will send that to the lady who was looking for an upgrade bike from her scooter. She bough an 850 Triumph a few weeks ago and she is British to boot.
                      Rob
                      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                      1978 XS500E
                      1979 XS1100F Restored
                      1980 XS1100 SG
                      1981 Suzuki GS1100
                      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Yeah,
                        the risk taker was riding a 200cc Tiger Cub. The Tiger Cub was a bigger version of the 150cc Triumph Terrier. That engine stood upright instead of slanting forward and grew to 250cc as the power unit for the BSA C15 & B25, grew to 350cc as the B35, to 441cc as the B40 and finally to 500cc as the B50 so-called "New Gold Star." As a final nod to badge engineering the B25 turned back into a Triumph in 1971.
                        The careful rider had a Matchless single. They did make a 250cc but that one could perhaps have been a 350cc lightweight, not sure. The 250cc limit for L-plate riders was perhaps not yet a requirement when that movie was made. For sure in the late 1950s when I first had a licence you could hang L-plates on a Vincent Black Shadow and be legal.
                        About signals, whether by hand or by flashers, just because you can't see another road user don't mean he ain't there.
                        And yes, Bates fleece-lined riding boots, vinyl jacket because Barbour suits were expensive and leather was for racing, RAF Mk 8 goggles and first generation styrofoam lined helmets replacing the ACU bone-dome.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Cheers Greg thought you might appreciate some Limey sarcasm! The 250cc learner law was brought in in 1962, so depends when that 'delightful' little film was made. The Matchless was probably a G2 or G5 they did a 250 and 350.
                          Anyway thats my two cents worth on the matter, will return to my orginal reason for being here and thats to confuse myself even more over whats the best route to go with for a fatter back tyre
                          Rob
                          XS Eleven SF
                          Could this be the finest Triumph Bonneville ever built ?
                          (Cycle January 1979)

Comment

The clue is in the cars...

The vid had to have been made around or after 1962. For anyone who knows british cars if you study closely you'll find a Mk3 Zepher 6 at 2 minutes 37 in. These were produced from April 62 to 66. Theres probably other clues that could refine the date further but it think thats probably close enough to date the Matchless. If the 250 learner rule was introduced in 62 then Robbo's probably right with his assessment at 250cc. By the way, we also drive on the "right" side of the road, on the left.
                            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Well, I don't know much/anything about these old brit machines!
                              But as for signaling, yes..perhaps no one behind, but you also signal for those in FRONT of you coming the other way...as was shown at a few of the intersections. I was surprised they didn't have Mirrors...but then again, like kids today....that might think there have always been SUVs for instance!

A bit of Brit trivia...ofc they/Brits will probably know the origin of the left side driving, but perhaps many of us YANKS might NOT know....so here it is!

It started during the Midieval period when folks...specifically KNIGHTS were on horseback. Folks were ALL right handed since being LEFT handed was would have made you in the DEVIL's legion! It's tough to shake right hands ACROSS your horse and waiste to the left side, so riding up on the left side, right hand to right hand permitted easy handshaking and such!

An aside story....military saluting came from the action of the KNIGHTS raising their VISORS to show their eyes.
                              T.C.
                              T. C. Gresham
                              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                              History shows again and again,
                              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                              X