Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To 3D or not to 3D: That is the Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shape of Things to Come...

I think Ivan has something when he says bigger is better.

That last photo looked barely larger than a postage stamp on my browser screen.

Too bad...Looked like there was plenty of "definition" and some very graceful shapes...Exactly what 3D excels at.

Comment

Heh-heh

Not really 3d Larry. Just screwin' with ya.

Ya wanna see the beer holder?

Comment

You need to CROSS your eyes, Feldman was actually WALLEYED!

Hey Ok,

That was a mean trick, but what's amazing is that I was able to view it similarly to the real 3-D photos, seeing 3 of them in a row, but it didn't have any real 3-D type of affect or view....appearance of actual depth of view.

Hey Larry, as for teaching folks, the idea is truly getting the eyes to CROSS inwards, then relaxing enough to allow them to slowly merge back together just enough to make the 3rd image in the middle which WILL BE in true 3D type view.

I'm curious how you would make/take the photos. Also, compared to seeing things in real 3D, where the right eye sees the object from a farther right angle than the left eye, and vice versa for the left eye; with these 3-D images, the right eye's image needs to actually be on the LEFT side, and the left eyes image needs to be on the RIGHT side, because when you cross your eyes, they are looking past their normal position of gaze. The right eye is looking farther left, and the left eye is looking farther right.

Being OLDER may actually help folks to see it because part of the CROSSING reflex stimulates the accomadation(near focus) reflex, and so the image can go out of focus when YOUNG people cross their eyes, so holding the laptop or getting their face closer than they normally would when they try to cross their eyes may help them to keep the image in focus as they slowly uncross their eyes to merge the images into the 3-D form!

Being older, like 50+, the focusing reflex is greatly diminished and so it's easier to cross the eyes without inducing the extra focusing reflex.

When you(Larry) first posted this message,I thought you were going to show those horrible "invisible" images where they are double printed onto 1 image, and you have to do this similar technique to be able to view the image, but until you cross your eyes, you can't really make out or see "WHAT" the image should be!? This is actually much easier than that type of image!

However, you will have to realize that some folks CANNOT see 3-D, even when they have 2 good eyes. 3D processing is a higher brain function of vision that is acquired/learned at a very young age....1-8 years of age. But if folks have a variety of problems, from muscles, to the need for glasses, so that the brain isn't seeing the same clear image in both eyes, then it has a hard time learning the FUSE the 2 into 1 true 3D image, and some never learn to, or they only develop a very small amount of it, so that they have a hard time seeing or discerning much definition or depth in an image, or even in the real world.

The images need to be taken about 3 inches apart....in other words, take one photo, then move the camera 3 inches to the left or right, take the second image. This simulates the distance separation that the human eyes have, providing a slightly different angle of view of the object/scene, that the brain can then translate into a real 3d image!

Sorry for the thesis, but this is in my area of knowledge and training!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Wow TC!

Did you sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night?
          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Geeez

See what happens when you get an Opthalmic Technician cross eyed?

Comment

Now for some visual practice!

Hey Folks,

I just did an experiment, using my digital camera, taking a couple of shots only a few inches apart of my Star Trek desk lamp, and then editting it together. I first tried putting the image I took from the right side and put it on the right, the left on the left, made a viewable pair, but it didn't look right, and was hard to try to fuse!

I then took those same images, and put the right one on the LEFT side, and the LEFT one on the right side, and viola, below is what you get, was pretty neat and fun....for a modest geek that is! Hope you have a WIDE monitor, or have your screen res set to 1280 or wider? OH...DUH, my bad, forgot to change the uploading settings on my Photobucket, so it got resized to only 800 or so wide! Oh, well, you can still see it, better if you click to ENLARGE a little!

So...Larry, do you have a special 3D camera that you would be using to do this, or just a regular camera and use a tripod?? If the latter, would suggest that you always take the right angle shot FIRST, to help you keep track of which shot is the RIGHT view that should be placed on the LEFT when you make the pairs!

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham

Comment

TC,

Maybe Marty wasn't the best example to use but then again I've never seen the after effects of pulling/hyper-extending ocular muscles.

I hate those "magic eye" things with a passion: The ones where the picture is just a collection of random dots until you "see" a buffalo or a duck or something. Yet somehow I like the "stereograms" which use the side by side pics of the same thing but with that 3 inch separation between the two camera positions.

I think you're talking about a 3D Anaglyph when you mention needing the special red/green glasses. (Gawd!! I hope Liz will forgive me for what I'm about to do with her photo...)

Trust me that if you had the right glasses, like I do, you'd be able to see her in a "3D" version. Still a little weird looking. (Not Liz!! But the way the photo does the effect.)

I got into 3D many years ago when cameras still used F-I-L-M. They also really made a click noise when I pushed the button: no digitally simulated noise coming out of a small speaker.

My girlfriend at the time was a geology graduate. She showed me some of her school text/reference books. They had side-by-side aerial photos of different things like mountains, craters, etc. But to view them we had to use a viewer which sat on the book and we had to put our forehead against a padded area.

But she also liked to go on field trips into the Arizona desert and I obliged. She would use the "cha-cha" technique to snap pics of rock outflows, landscapes and anything she thought was of interest. We'd have the film developed and then post them in our own little photo album.

Me? I was more interested in just walking behind her. The temperature was hot and so was she. I mean she wore the cutest little shorts with a special loop for her rock hammer. It kept pulling her shorts down on the right side but she refused to wear a belt.

Nice "NCC 1701" ya got there. BTW, no tripod needed. No special camera needed either. PM me and I can send you some links to some good "how-to's" and free software which puts the pics side by side/corrects any "problems".

So....candidate one or two for the "test your 3D Vision" poll?
                Last edited by Larrym; 01-11-2010, 08:41 PM. Reason: So Sorry LIZ!!!

Comment

Can you make them work with the polarized lenses that I got at the Avatar movie?
                  Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Larrym View Post
                    TC,

So....candidate one or two for the "test your 3D Vision" poll?

Well, Candidate 2 has a wonderful face, but Candidate 1 has more DEPTH where this type of test is needed!

Yeah, getting the images exactly parallel is also important....pain to have to tilt your head left or right to try to even them up to get them to fuse! Your program probably has a feature where you click on several same points of interest in the photos and it rotates them, etc. to get them properly lined up for the easiest fusing/viewing possible! I'll drop you a PM to take a look at those links. However, I'm having a hard time making time just to do regular tech tips, much less making images in 3D!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham

Comment

BlockBuster Rental Glasses...

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                      Can you make them work with the polarized lenses that I got at the Avatar movie?
                      Not sure but I don't think so. Different visual process.

Liz's "anaglyph" can be viewed with the glasses one gets by renting "Coraline" or "Friday the 13'th in 3D". The glasses sucked for watching the movie but they're ok for still pics..

Comment

Coaster Not Required...

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
                        Heh-heh

Not really 3d Larry. Just screwin' with ya.

Ya wanna see the beer holder?
                        Yeah...not 3D. The tip-off was that I expected her t-shirt to fill out a lot more than it did.

I think I've seen that beer-holder pic. Unfortunately we'll never really know if we're talking bout the same pic. That is unless XS11.com requires users to click on the box that says "I signify that I am over the age of 18."

Thing is that I'm curious whether the beer holder gal came up with that idea herself or just obliged her boyfriend. Either way she's a real sport for doing it.

Comment

I want to see the beer holder in 3D!

Comment

Sent you a PM Larry.

Comment

Beer Holder Gal Must Remain Flat....

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
                              I want to see the beer holder in 3D!
                              Dude...I mean DUUUDE!!!

That's the right pic of the Gal holding a beer but there's a problem: I can't make a regular photo into a 3D one. Sure, there's software out there which can do it but that's not what I do. I start out by taking two pictures of the same thing but with the camera in two locations. No way that I could make that single beer Gal pic into a 3D version. SO very sad to have to let you down on this one....

But here's a consolation prize. This gal likely held a beer later on in the evening:

And these gals held a beer before and after this pic:

And These three were Next to a lot of beer though I don't know if they held any:

I just hate to disappoint folks. I hope this makes you feel better.

All I can say is that it is an imperfect world......so appreciate perfection where you can find it.

Comment

Working...
                              X