Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To 3D or not to 3D: That is the Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To 3D or not to 3D: That is the Question...

I've posted some 3D pics recently. Been taking them for years now but as sometimes my brain runs like a truck with square wheels, only recently did it occur to me to actually do them on the site here. (Talk about a D'uh moment.....). For you guys/gals out there, I figure some of you are asking just why you should go through the extra effort of learning to cross your eyes in order to see the 3D effect. I mean some people never can do it and some people will always find it more difficult or a strain on the eyes. What's the big deal or reward for doing a Marty Feldman impression anyways??? (Marty was Igor in the "Young Frankenstein" movie: rent it. You'll be glad you did.)

Regular 2D photos are ok. Plenty of times that plain old text descriptions are not enough to get the point across. So a picture gives the reader/viewer a chance to "see what you're talking about." Especially if one is describing a procedure like doing the second gear repair. Helps the reader to follow along in a "just where the heck are we now?" kinda way. That's all about orientation: seeing where something is at by recognizing something in the picture that we already recognize. Or possibly seeing something in the picture that is different from what we've already seen in real life with our own eyes: Comparision. That "already been there" factor is what makes the 2D photo work for us enough so that we "get it" enough to understand what is in the picture. Hopefully enough to be able do the repair ourselves or to learn from other people's mistakes: (Insert picture of bent valves due to cam chain jumping a tooth....HERE.)

3D photos are ok too. But they are especially good in those situations where the reader/viewer has never seen the object in the picture before. 3D photos are the next best thing to having the object right there in front of your face. For example, hand some part from your bike over to someone who's never seen it before and watch what they do. If they're interested in the part then they will hold it in their hand, look at it, and then turn it around a bit to see it from a few different angles. Once they've done this they'll hand it back to you hopefully. That simple action of turning the item around and looking at it is all it takes for their stereo vision to allow their brain to make a 3D model of it inside their heads. They now Know what it looks like even if they're clueless as far as what it does or where it is normally installed on the bike. If some object is too big to hold in their hand and manipulate, then they'll either walk around it or move their head around in order to really "see" what something is if it is new to them. Once they've "seen" something in this stereo manner then you can show a picture of it to them later and more often than not they will recall/remember it. But that is only after they've seen it in real life and KNOW what it looks like: the shape, the size, the texture, the color, and how it looks from different angles in PERSPECTIVE. Learning how to cross one's eyes and see the 3D version of an object/part automatically gives the viewer the opportunity to "jump" to this level of understanding.

I've got an XS1100 but there's still repairs that I haven't done...things I haven't seen yet. Hasn't been the need thus far. When I do go into it for something necessary I'll take 2D pics, 3D pics, and even do videos when I feel that it would be of benefit to the other members. I'm a "visual" kinda guy anyways. But there's also the factor that I see these bikes as beautiful machines and all of the individual parts as visually interesting as well. Each component is a work of engineering "Art."

I apologize in advance for those about to "suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous" eyestrain.......
    Last edited by Larrym; 01-09-2010, 04:55 PM.

Originally posted by Larrym View Post
    I've posted some 3D pics recently.
    Where? I'd be interested in checking it out. Would I get to wear those funny cardboard glasses?
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Here...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showpost.p...5&postcount=33

No fuuny glasses, just a crossed eyed view of the world
      1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
      2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Creature From The Black Lagoon

Originally posted by Ken Talbot View Post
        Where? I'd be interested in checking it out. Would I get to wear those funny cardboard glasses?
        No Glasses needed. Though we all know how much they are a hit with the ladies...

Here:

bike
        http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25970

carbs
        http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25919&page=3

grips

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26149

Comment

I, for one, can not see it. I almost got it once but not going to happen. To those who can see the 3D it will maybe make a difference. Me I just get to look at twice as many pics, so I am happy. I wonder what percentage of people on this site can see the 3D. Maybe you should post a poll and see if your extra work is worth it. JAT
          2-79 XS1100 SF
          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I hope you guys aren't doing this 3d thing just so you can meet girls.I learned in college why they don't hang out around the science buildings

Terry
            1980 special (Phyllis)
            1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
              I, for one, can not see it. I almost got it once but not going to happen. To those who can see the 3D it will maybe make a difference. Me I just get to look at twice as many pics, so I am happy. I wonder what percentage of people on this site can see the 3D. Maybe you should post a poll and see if your extra work is worth it. JAT
              Obviously still One Eyed, more beer required

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Tried, starting to get a mild headache after trying about 3 times..no 3d for me..
                Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Lead a Horse to Water But......

I know...I Know.

That's why I apologized ahead of time for the eye strain.

Thanks, Rasputin. I like the idea of a poll to see just how many can/can't see the 3D "effect."

I'm thinking that maybe.....just maybe carbs or exhaust pipes just aren't that interesting in the first place to most members. So begins the search for the "test your 3D Vision" picture for the poll.

Candidate Number One:

Well? Anybody got a headache yet??

Comment

I find it easiest at about 2 feet from my face. i.e. Laptop screen above my knee when sitting in my favourite lounge chair. It takes a few seconds to come into focus, but once you have 3 images in front of you concentrate on the middle one and try to relax your eyes. Once your eyes relax, the image should become focused and clear. Stare at it for a few seconds to "train" your eye muscles and you should find it easy after that. In saying that I wear glasses for long vision and have pretty clear short vision. I dont know if that matters or not but may be a factor in making it easier to see.

If you cant get three images, practice by holding a finger in front of you and try to see two of them, and then hold two up amd make three of them. Once you have three, go back to the pictures.

Comment

I need more of the practice images...

I can actually see the effect just fine, just like the practice

john in san antonio

Originally posted by Larrym View Post
                      I know...I Know.

That's why I apologized ahead of time for the eye strain.

Thanks, Rasputin. I like the idea of a poll to see just how many can/can't see the 3D "effect."

I'm thinking that maybe.....just maybe carbs or exhaust pipes just aren't that interesting in the first place to most members. So begins the search for the "test your 3D Vision" picture for the poll.

Candidate Number One:

Well? Anybody got a headache yet??
                      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

"Do or Do Not...There is No Try.", Yoda

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                        I can actually see the effect just fine, just like the practice

john in san antonio
                        Either you can or you can't see the effect. As far as "learning" how to do it, I'm not gonna present a tutorial. I figure that teaching folks how to do this is sorta like teaching someone how to whistle or ride a bicycle: I can provide pointers or guidelines but can't really teach how to do it. That's because, like learning to ride a bike, there's a point where the person has to learn for himself how to not fall down and to therefore keep going. That can't really be put into words: it just has to be experienced.

Once learned, it's no big deal. One just does it. No practice required.

But....then again it's not a fair contest to just have one selection to choose from:

Candidate Number Two:

Reaching for the Aspirin or another beer: it's your choice.

Comment

Personally, I think the 3D pics are badass.

It would be nice if they were bigger though, since the smaller ones are hard to see. (The pictures, not the hooters gals). Also, from the ones I have seen, laving some "dead space" around the subject matter helps me focus without getting too close to the edge where everything starts getting weird...
                          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Do some good drugs or enough shots and you can see it with your eyes closed.
                            '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                            Original except:
                            120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                            4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                            Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                            All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                            Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Not a Hooters girl (but could be) but good practice anyway.

Got a great one of a beer holder for your motorcycle but can't show it in public.

Comment

Working...
                              X