Greetings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
    Welcome aboard UJM! That is definitely a nice XS. A small amount of the standard "once-over" work, and you should be quite happy with it.

What part of MO are you in? Not too many of us around the St. Louis area, so I'm always on the lookout for XSives to ride with. If/when you do get the bike, be sure to get a manual (link in my signature will get you a couple of them), and be sure to keep us updated on the progress.
    St. Joe Mo here - North of KC

Maybe we can meet in Columbia, there is a route I ride with a few friends every year, it is a good time.

Sometimes we do spring and fall, last year we looped over into Herman.

Then again, hard to resist a Ted Drews run......
    Steve
    aka: h9r, Honda919Rider

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/xs...ing/2517783158

Comment

Originally posted by tarzan View Post
      Welcome,
      It looks like you're no stranger to a scooter.
      The XS has a lot of grunt.Won't be as agile as your 919, but lots of torque.
      If you are thinking yellow, look up Bob Jones' Merriam Cycles.He passed a few years ago but was the ultimate XS guru.His wife still has his website up last time I checked.He Restored and customized a lot of them.He had a yellow one that was awesome
      Rick
      Unfortunatley it looks like the Bob Jones Merriam Cycles website is gone.

I'll keep an eye out for his book

Thank you - and everyone, seems like a good group here.
      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by UJM View Post
        St. Joe Mo here - North of KC

Maybe we can meet in Columbia, there is a route I ride with a few friends every year, it is a good time.

Sometimes we do spring and fall, last year we looped over into Herman.

Then again, hard to resist a Ted Drews run......
        Columbia would be cool! Only about 2 hours from here. I've lived in St. Louis since 2000, but I have never been to Ted Drew's. I've had a few concretes, when my company brings them in for parties, but that's about it.

There's quite a group of XSives in KC, so be sure to keep them in mind when looking for riding buddies too. Good folks, who know a lot about these bikes.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
          Columbia would be cool! Only about 2 hours from here. I've lived in St. Louis since 2000, but I have never been to Ted Drew's. I've had a few concretes, when my company brings them in for parties, but that's about it.

There's quite a group of XSives in KC, so be sure to keep them in mind when looking for riding buddies too. Good folks, who know a lot about these bikes.
          Annual Columbia Ride Pics:

Another year -

Jones Powersports -

This guy rode in from St. Louis -

Generally a really good mix of machines -

Herman, MO is awesome....

Steve

Comment

I make it up to KC on occasion. Mostly because I like to watch Bigfoot's finesse at scamming beer from Russ79.

Although, I think next time is my turn to buy....

If you get the 79, we may have to arrange a time to cuss and discuss.
            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post

If you get the 79, we may have to arrange a time to cuss and discuss.
              Absolutely!
              Steve

Comment

Greetings to you too.

My '79 XS11 has proven to be quite the tough old bird.....

I'd say 90% of it's troubles have been electrical (it hasn't had too many though) and the info contained on this site has proven invaluable.

Welcome and Enjoy!
                .....>SmugMug coupon 0E8WP3kJcvvbY save $5 ..........>The Banjo Rides
                There’s something about going riding with your friends, a feeling of freedom, a feeling of joy that really can’t be put into words.
                It can only be fully shared by someone who’s done it.......... on any sunday

Comment

Thanks everyone

Here are a couple pictures of the XS1100 I am considering, if you have a moment to look it over and comment, I'd appreciate it.

Off the bat, I see it will need some work.

Seat cover, no big deal.

Looks like it was laid over on the right side - That fairing, has to go, not my style.

Last night, I was thinking, (scary thing) -

Repaint TZ750 Yellow -

1/4 "cafe" fairing, make it into a Yamaha "KZ1000R "Eddie Lawson"/ZRX/GS1000S "Wes Cooley" style bike, but done "Kenny Roberts" style -

Sort of along the lines of the RZ350LC.......
                  It looks to be in pretty decent shape. For the price they are asking, it is probably a pretty good deal. Have you made a decision yet?
                  Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                  '82 XJ1100
                  '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
                    It looks to be in pretty decent shape. For the price they are asking, it is probably a pretty good deal. Have you made a decision yet?
                    I told the owner I am 99% sure I'll take it - it is a couple hours away, in a barn, with the road under 2'+ snow drifts, so it is not going anywhere.

The local Yamaha dealer is on my list of stops, just for more of a "make me feel good" trip regarding stuff I already know -

They have one customers bike in the shop, it is a Kawasaki Vulcan with the XS11 transplanted into it - they made the custom wiring harness, interesting build, I'll leave that at that -

Soon enough, I'll have to fish or cut bait, I sincerely thank everyone for their comments and support.

Steve
                    Steve

Comment

I've been following that bike on craigslist for awhile now. Let me know how it turns out for you. I'd be interested in knowing.
                      Good Luck, Rodney
                      "I'd rather be fishin'"
                      1980sg "Cruise Missle"
                      2002A Goldwing

Comment

Originally posted by RODS454 View Post
                        I've been following that bike on craigslist for awhile now. Let me know how it turns out for you. I'd be interested in knowing.
                        Good Luck, Rodney
                        Will do.

The current owner picked it up in a package deal, so there are a few unknowns.

Strangely enough, he (seller) bought a GT380 drag bike from one of my friends here in St. Joe, sure is a small world.

The more I think about it, the more I want it - Yamaha shop here in St. Joe, one of the 40 oldest in the country, had nothing but praise about the XS11 in general - I've got a good relationship with them and they are always honest about everything.

The past several months, I've been selling their NOS parts for them on eBay, a thousand or so items all over the world, a few XS11 parts as well, a few that now I wish I had bought......

Anyway, the bike seems like a good deal, but as most of us know, time will tell - Once I have it home and can give it the once over, we'll see how much I have to put into it.
                        Steve

Comment

*** Update ***

"Title has a little problem....."

Hesard those words before, but I'm going to keep after it. Thanks to the weater, -18 below tonight, I'm not going to be able to make the 2 hour drive nor do I have the desire to "dig a couple feet deep of snow out of the way, about 20' long...." right now, especially in that cold.

Title issue, never transfered to this State and the PO (previous owner) dated it in the wrong place.

Steve

Comment

Well, I missed out of that deal.

I could not make it to Warrensburg due to weather, and the owner sold it.

$550.00 sounded really good, but the title problems were a potential issue.

Oh well, I'll keep looking for a bargain.

Thanks everyone
                            Steve

Comment

Well, I missed out of that deal.

I could not make it to Warrensburg due to weather, and the owner sold it.

$550.00 sounded really good, but the title problems were a potential issue.

Oh well, I'll keep looking for a bargain.

Thanks everyone
                              Sorry to hear that. These bikes pop up all the time, so just keep your eyes open, and you'll find one shortly.
                              1980 XS850SG - Sold
                              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                              -H. Ford

Comment

Bike

I know where there is a 78 in Houston for sale if you are interested.
                                78 XS1100E Standard
                                Coca Cola Red
                                Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
                                http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
                                http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
                                http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X