Freedom Of Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I used the voice on mine, it would be something like:

... then you take the large nut off the clutch basket dangit son get that wet dog off the carpet. Where was I? Oh, so you losen that nut and what? No hun, I'm not hungry. You loosen that nut and yes Hun, I grabbed some milk at the store.

Hmmm.. Maybe better if I just stick to typing.. lol. I just use two fingers, but typed 48 wpm last time I was timed. Also, since my brain obviously can't keep up with my mouth, the keyboard gives me time to reflect a bit before I piss people off even more than normal.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post

... then you take the large nut off the clutch basket dangit son get that wet dog off the carpet. Where was I? Oh, so you losen that nut and what? No hun, I'm not hungry. You loosen that nut and yes Hun, I grabbed some milk at the store.

Hmmm.. Maybe better if I just stick to typing.. lol. I just use two fingers, but typed 48 wpm last time I was timed. Also, since my brain obviously can't keep up with my mouth, the keyboard gives me time to reflect a bit before I piss people off even more than normal.

Tod
      At least you remembered to put in the punctuation.

I'm with ya on the brain-mouth coordination. I type real slow and still screw up A LOT!

Comment

I expected that. Glad I could cheer you up.
        RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Originally posted by latexeses View Post
          I expected that. Glad I could cheer you up.

Comment

I and a bunch of my friends were sitting in a trailer in a deer camp a few years ago and the subject got onto keyboarding. Likewise to typing speed and then onto getting aroundand searching on the internet. Out of nowhere my buddies mother-in law says "I'm just a hunt and pecker". The place went as quiet as a church. Everybody heard the same thing...except her. It took about 10 seconds of total silence and then the whole place just broke down laughing..except her. It had to be explained......

Everything on hold...

Comment

We don't talk much about typing skills anymore in deer camp.

Everything on hold...

Comment

We don't talk much about typing skills anymore in deer camp.
                Were ya huntin' deer or .........

(left yourself wide open for that one)

Comment

I was huntin hot coffee. It was down around 19 degrees every night and I was they only one sleeping in a tent. 2 person four season but it's still 19 deg when you crawl out of the sleeping bag. That is another deer camp story though...

Everything on hold...

Comment

I was huntin hot coffee. It was down around 19 degrees every night and I was they only one sleeping in a tent. 2 person four season but it's still 19 deg when you crawl out of the sleeping bag. That is another deer camp story though...
                    BTDT elk hunting in Montana. Wake up and frost on the roof of the tent.

19 degrees would have been nice! Try -20!

If you have an army cot, the coleman cook stove turned down real low underneath works pretty good.

Comment

Law of Diminishing Returns

Tod
                      Tod,

You've got a point there Tod, and a very good one that. The speech feature requires that you have a quiet place free from interruptions . But even if you did have the perfect environment things may not turn out exactly as one would think.

Let's imagine that there was another Tod in some alternate universe who did have this speech feature and knew how to use it perfectly . This "alternate" Tod Would tackle the problem of removing and replacing his clutch pack. Being the great guy that he is , he could use this speech feature in order to compose and post the blow by blow, step by step process so others can read and learn from what he had done . Let's also imagine that he used the speech feature for fifteen minutes and fifteen minutes only .

That's 200 words per minute minimum . In five minutes he would have 1000 words . In fifteen minutes he would have 3000 words . In those 3000 words he would have all the necessary details one could ever imagine: every nut, every bolt, every tool used, every measurement taken , cautions, warnings, insights , do's and don'ts. There's no doubt in my mind that it would be worth the eye strain to read . It would be a great body of text . Great for what it is but still just a body of text. Informative , descriptive , entertaining but still just words .

That's where things break down here . it's not realistic to see a 3000 word post with no pictures . No matter how well Tod would have described something he found , for example a nick in one of the friction plates or maybe a crack in the clutch basket, I would want to see a picture of what he was talking about . That's just the way it is with people who repair stuff . I can't talk to somebody or listen to someone for five minutes without getting a scratch pad out so they or I can sketch up something in a , "do you mean like this? " kind of way .

So having and using the speech feature is not the end all do all and be all tool or gadget which is going to revolutionize your life . (I keep on thinking of that "Sham-WoW" guy and the latest TV commercials he does about some kitchen gadget called the "Slap-Chop". TYVM...I'll keep my cutting board and a regular knife . ) The speech feature is just a tool that I have and use when it's needed .

There's a lot of wisdom in the way you approach things, Tod. Kinda reminds me of the following:

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex.
                      It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage to move in the
                      opposite direction."
                      --physicist Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Thanks!!
                      Last edited by Larrym; 12-16-2009, 09:04 PM. Reason: Taught Michelle how to spell Tod correctly...

Comment

That's 200 words per minute minimum . In five minutes he would have 1000 words .
                        So honestly... have you heard us talk in the south? At 48 WPM, I think I type MUCh faster than most of the people around here talk! lol.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by Larrym View Post
                          That's 200 words per minute minimum . In five minutes he would have 1000 words . In fifteen minutes he would have 3000 words .
                          You really think Tod could change a clutch in 15 minutes?

That 15 minutes would turn into 3 or 4 hours, if he did it right the first time.

OK, that's 36,000 words at 3 hours. Not counting the extra ones in between.

Add pics and all the circles and arrows that would go with them.

The XS forum would lock up, dogs would be sleeping with cats, and the universe would implode because all the energy would be sucked out of it.

JAT
                          Last edited by XSokieSPECIAL; 12-16-2009, 09:27 PM.

Comment

You really think Tod could change a clutch in 15 minutes? That 15 minutes would turn into 3 or 4 hours, if he did it right the first time.
                            Hmmmm.. If the clutch cover is off already, I'd sure take a beer bet on that one!

The XS forum would lock up, dogs would be sleeping with cats,
                            .... Banjo music would play, and Greg would feel like he was back at home in the Arkansas woods..

Tod

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100

Comment

Hmmmm.. If the clutch cover is off already, I'd sure take a beer bet on that one!

That I'll HAVE TO see.

.... Banjo music would play, and Greg would feel like he was back at home in the Arkansas woods..

Home is Montana, flatlanders have been known to vanish without a trace there.

Comment

flatlanders have been known to vanish without a trace there.
                                Right after the howling and the echoes of "Squeel like a pig, boy!" reverberates off the trees.

Tod

Current bikes:
                                '06 Suzuki DR650
                                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                                '81 XS1100 Special
                                '81 YZ250
                                '80 XS850 Special
                                '80 XR100

Comment

Working...
                                X