Freedom Of Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedom Of Speech

You’d think that with the title “freedom of speech” that this post would belong in the hot topics forum. Who knows? It may end up there but for now I say that I intentionally put this post in the members lounge. As usual, I’m coming at things from a direction that’s a little sideways for most people…

I like my XS1100 a lot. It is a big bike. But then I am a big guy. The geometry of the bike and my own physical geometry just feel right. I feel like a goldilocks that has tried bikes that were too large or too small. This one however, feels just right. I wouldn’t change a thing.

My hands and fingers are the right size for my 6ft. 2in. frame. My left hand fits inside a normal baseball glove and my right hand curls around a baseball quite nicely when I pitch a wicked curve ball. Getting the right grip on a football is no problem in order to throw a good spiral. I can’t quite palm a basketball upside down with one hand and I’ve learned to live with that. I am a man and I have “man sized” hands.

All right, now I would ask you to stop reading this text and divert your eyes to the keyboard below the screen or located somewhere in front of you. ( C’mon! I’ll wait. One Mississippi two Mississippi three Mississippi four Mississippi.) My “man hands" and fingers don’t fit well on any keyboard. The keys are too small and close together. It makes typing anything a real challenge. At this point I’d like to say I do hold a high regard for those members who are painfully afflicted with man hands like I have yet they still manage to use the keyboard regularly. My best….. my very best is less than 35 words per minute and with quite a few mistakes. That pesky keyboard is a painful bottleneck when it comes to getting my message across and saying what I need to say to the people that I want to say it to.

Or is it? Take another look at your keyboard. It looks like a typewriter, right? If you look again you’ll see that the keyboard is connected to a computer. It is in fact a computer keyboard. A computer is more than just a glorified typewriter which does word processing and puts what you typed on the Internet or on XS11.com. It is more and can do more than an ordinary typewriter if you tell it to.

If you have Windows XP along with MSWORD like I do, then you have access to a feature called “speech”. What this feature does is to type what you say just as fast as you say it. Ordinary conversation speech speeds are between 150 to 200 words per minute, sometimes even faster. Way better than the 35 words per minute that I could do at my very best by typing with my man hands on a keyboard. It isn’t like you have to go out and buy an additional software package and take the trouble to install it. This speech feature is already there. All that’s needed is to find it and turn it on. It has been there all along since 2003.

I have used this feature for a number of years now in my personal and professional life. I can type. I do type. (Just not nearly as much as most other folks…). But why should I type when I can click on a button and for all practical purposes my computer becomes my very own personal Secretary “Michelle”, who types what I say just as fast as I say it? There’s no need to use contractions, Abbreviations, or specialized acronyms: YMMV, DAMHIK, PMPL, etc. (LOL!!!) I speak just as if I were talking to any of you while we both sit on the patio or inside the garage. “ Michelle”, my Secretary, my computer, is a valuable member of my team.

In my humble opinion (IMHO…) there are wonderful people here on XS11.com: brilliant, entertaining, and knowledgeable people. I wonder how much more these people could contribute if they did not have to overcome the “bottleneck” presented by a typewriter keyboard. What would they do if they had the freedom of the “speech” feature on their computer?

Like I said, the “speech” feature is more than likely already present on the computer most of us are using. If anyone has any difficulty finding this feature, turning it on, or using it, I would be more than happy to provide assistance. I have used it for years and there are a few things I’ve picked up along the way.

BTW, The only line I typed myself is this very last one: Hunt and peck!!! LOL!!

I think this is the very first time I have EVER heard anything positive about any speech-recognition software. I have tried it before, but with little to no success. It's just too frustrating to get it to understand what I am trying to say. I have found that getting a different style keyboard helps with typing comfort. The rounded style is my favorite.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

I think this is the very first time I have EVER heard anything positive about any speech-recognition software.

Yeah, those programs don't recognize "Okie" very well either... When ol' and oil sound the same, it can't discern well. lol.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
        Yeah, those programs don't recognize "Okie" very well either... When ol' and oil sound the same, it can't discern well. lol. Tod
        Hi Tod,
        when oil takes his seat in the House of Lords and earl is a lubricant, what is a poor speech recognition program to do?
        And how would it cope with my West-of-England accent?
        Larry, does the program recognize your usual accent or do you have to talk all posh to it?
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
          I think this is the very first time I have EVER heard anything positive about any speech-recognition software. I have tried it before, but with little to no success. It's just too frustrating to get it to understand what I am trying to say. I have found that getting a different style keyboard helps with typing comfort. The rounded style is my favorite.
          My understanding is that training is the secret here. The more you train it the more used to how YOU talk it gets and the more accurate it gets. If you use the same system for several months heavily it should get to pretty much 100% accuracy.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Well, I don't think speech recog will ever learn my drunkeneese. ever.

And if your keyboard feels small, get your self a cell phone with a slide out qwerty like the Droid or even a Pre or blackberry. Start replying to the XS11 hotbutton section with it, and when you get to use your laptop's condensed keyboard, it will be like hitting the broad side of a barn.

Also, one final question: Does it go nuts when you start talking to your self?
            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

well I don't know about you guys but I am talking to my computer right now, my fingers are not doing any work. This doesn't seem to add periods, or to capitalize, or use proper punctuation maybe I have some other settings to make it is sure going to help me while my hand is healing. I still have some training to do . Like now I just learned to add a Punctuation mark , you just say the word . , " ". ? $number sign @& % ! \ ABCDEFGH I JKLMNOPQRSTUV. W. X. Y. Z. This will definitely take some practice , but it's kind of cool. you do have to correct some things as you go.
              1980 XS1100LG Midnight
              1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
              A quick death and an easy one.
              A pretty girl and an honest one.
              A cold beer and another one!

Comment

I can type reasonably well, (although I am VERY dependent on spell check!!). But I'll be danged if I know how to get this speech thing workin!!
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Yeah, those programs don't recognize "Okie" very well either...
                  What?.....Huh?...... I thought I heard my name.

I also am a hunt and pecker.......wait.....that didn't sound right.

But it's spelled right!
                  Last edited by XSokieSPECIAL; 12-15-2009, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Do a search for speech recognition on your computer. In the help file you will find out how to do it. You will be able to find out if you even have it in the control panel. If you don't have microsoft office, then you most likely won,t be able to use it. They say that office 2007 does not support it, but it does.
                    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                    A quick death and an easy one.
                    A pretty girl and an honest one.
                    A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Wait. Your saying those little skinny grips fit your big man hands?
                      Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Limitations VS Lamentations

First a little "housekeeping", ok?

C-Bug,

You not just heard something positive, you saw something positive about this feature. Look at the very first post I made here: over one full page of rambling and babbling Without ever touching the keyboard. It wasn't exactly pointless babbling either . The idea was to demonstrate what the feature does as opposed to what people have heard about it . Frankly , it would have been nice if that post was something pertinent and useful like the step by step procedures for disassembling and cleaning a Mikuni BS-34 constant velocity carburetor . (Presumably, the synchronization procedure would've been another separate posting....)

I looked into getting another keyboard as well . I agree that it would help somewhat with my "man hands" and the typing difficulty. But I looked at it differently:

$90.00 and a top speed of 40 WPM:

$20.00 and a top speed of over 200 WPM:

Fredintoon,

If I can customize my "Michelle" so she understands and types "F'shizzle M'nizzle" then it is likely that she would understand any quirks in your version of the Kings original English. I'm not quite sure that she could handle "valley girl speak" . (F'shure....f'shure. Gag me witha spoon.)

cywelchjr,

You absolutely nailed it on this one. The "training process" is nothing more than taking the time to read aloud some deliberately worded text so the computer can learn exactly how you pronounce that particular phrase or word. As part of the training process you have to read something about how to get the most out of the speech feature by using a good quality microphone, speaking clearly, not having no noise in the room , etc..

This is not the first time I've pointed people to this feature on their computer . In the past people have come back to me and said things like, "it doesn't work. It makes mistakes . You're wrong about this being something I can use . " When the people tell me this I know exactly what happened . After you have turned on/activated the speech feature , it immediately takes you to a dialog box which informs you that in order to get the best performance you need to go through the training process and provides a button on the bottom labeled next which will take you into the training process . This dialog box also has that little "X" at the top right hand corner which lets you close out this dialog box without actually going through the training . if you do click on the "X" and a close out the dialog box , then another dialog box flashes and tells you that you need to go through the training process to get better performance . In the end the speech feature allows you or anyone to use it without going through the training and that's just asking for trouble .

So when these people report back with things like, "it sucks. " , I know that they didn't go through the training process. It's also likely that they didn't use complete phrases but simply tried saying words that they knew would be difficult in this situation . That is not only unfair , but if "Michelle" were a real person trying to do her job the best she could , I would consider this just plain mean .

Thinking of the feature as "Michelle" isn't weird and can actually help the user understand what's going on . Michelle is a computer and that means her native language is not English but rather it is "ones and zeros." I do a little flip on this and imagine that Michelle is not a native born American but rather she's from let's say .....Sweden . (!!!!!Don't go there !!!!) She graduated at the top of her class. She can type like a bandit ! Her spelling is absolutely perfect. Once you've shown her something she never ever forgets it . She's about as perfect a personal Secretary as you can get except for one minor detail : English is a second language to her. (Her Swedish/Ones and Zeros is impeccable...) It is not realistic to expect her to get every phrase and every word absolutely correct on her very first day/first time of hearing English, your english. (Nor is it appropriate to fire her for even trying: like I said that is just plain mean . )

XS1100 Newbie,

I'm glad that this is helping you during a time when you could use it . As far as punctuation goes , it is necessary for you to vocalize the punctuation mark when you need it: (Like this.)

"Open parentheses Like this period Close Parentheses"

Also, it is a bad habit when typing to look at the screen and see your mistakes then go back and correct them as you are making them . The same holds true when using the speech feature . I know that it's fascinating at first to see what's happening on the screen but in the end I say that you're far better off if you don't look at the screen and simply focus on saying what you want to say the way you want to say it. Afterwards , you can read what has been typed and correct it . This follows the standard process as if you really had a personal Secretary where you dictated a letter, she typed it for you, then you read it before actually signing it and sending it to the person you wanted it to go to . Just my 2¢ here .

DGXSER,

If you truly fail at finding the speech feature then I suggest you send me a PM which includes your e-mail address . I think the best way to show you where it is is to actually show you where it is on my computer by making a short video of my computer screen . If I post these videos on photo bucket then the resolution suffers because the file is shortened and compressed.

Elevener,

I've actually got the padded foam grips. I know, I know: They're not OEM...

thank you all for replying . I stand by what I said in my earlier post , that there are some really knowledgeable/entertaining people here.
                        Last edited by Larrym; 12-15-2009, 10:11 PM. Reason: mumble...mumble doesn't work!!

Comment

Where be the Treasure?? (Arrrrrr...)

Open MS word and look at the top line/bar which reads File…Edit…View…Insert…Format…Tools.

Click on <Tools> and you should see “Speech” in the drop down menu.

Click on <Speech> to turn it on.

Also after you’ve turned it on from MSword you can use the speech feature in MSword to do “speech-to-text” but sometimes only while you are in MSword. You can do a “work-a-round” this by composing your posts in MSword and then using the “copy/paste” into the box for XS11.com.

But there is another way of doing this. You can tell the speech feature to extend this feature to other applications like your e-mail, the XS11.com, anywhere you would ordinarily have to hunt and peck. This option is only available AFTER you’ve done the training….

Comment

XsokieSPECIAL,

Be careful about Hunt'n Pecker.
                            RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Originally posted by latexeses View Post
                              XsokieSPECIAL,

Be careful about Hunt'n Pecker.
                              Sounds as though you may have some experience.

Please don't elaborate.

Comment

Working...
                              X