California XSives Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dragxs11 View Post
    You need a tent or not?? Shall I bring some briquettes and fire logs?
    I have borrowed a tent. Thank you very much for the offer.

I don't think it ever hurts to have firewood, and briquettes, but that is just me.
    Judson Crowder
    1979 XS11 F
    2005 BMW R GS1150 Adventure

Comment

Originally posted by restorganize View Post
      I don't think it ever hurts to have firewood, and briquettes, but that is just me.
      Garth and I were talking about that a couple of days ago. I don't know how much wood costs at the lake but it can't be good; might have to get everyone to strap a couple of pieces of wood to their bikes so we can have a fire.
      -- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

There is also a microwave in the motorhome your welcome to use anytime. I plan to make scrambled eggs and pancakes(only thing I know how). I'll get some Post rasin bran and honey nut cheerios too, cuz I'll eat whats left. Coffee and OJ too, so thats your choices I have fire logs, but the Kingsfords will be someone else cuz I have no use for them at home if they don't get used this weekend.
        1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
        1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
        1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
        2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
        2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

Leaving soon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's 4:30 and I'm trying to deal with a computer problem, but may just let it go until we get back.

We're leaving around ten AM, Thursday. We'll be at the Motel 6 in Paso Robles. Friday we'll be riding with the Colorado contingent and will meet up with arrivals at the KOA in the PM.

My cell 'phone number is (still): 714-801-5548.

Ralph

Comment

Well, The TIG welder fixed the exhaust! I'll be on the Midnight one more time! Ed and I should be out of the Santa Cruz area about 3:30 or 4:00PM Friday. Ed will be in a motel in Atascadero, and I'll be camping with the rest of the "poor" XS people at the KOA. After all I've been through with the '79, it's going on the block as soon as it's running well!
            See everyone Friday evening!
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Back

safe and sound ... okay, safe, anyway!

Whew! What a rally! Even TKat made it so we had 17 bikes: 12 XS11s, 1 XS750, 2 BMWs and 2 Suzukis show up for the ride and the festivities. The tequila s'mores were popular, a lot more popular than I anticipated.

DiverRay got most of the pictures this year. I didn't get very many but I'll post the ones I have later along with a ride report after I decompress a little from the ride home. So far, everyone made the rally and the ride without a scratch except for EagleTom. Tom is okay but he has a sprained ankle and a dislocated pinky finger.

During the Saturday group ride, Tom took his eyes off the road at a turn on the Nacimiento-Fergusson Road. The bike hit the rock embankment and broke the headlight, windshield and a turn signal so he's on his way back home with no windshield and an extremely efficient, custom, air-cooled headlight bulb mod.
              -- Scott
              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
              1979 XS1100F: parts
              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

mee toooo

just made it home after a long day its 630 here But I stopped to eat before I went home , more later!
                91 kwaka kz1000p
                Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

hey, I made it home too,

Covered 1004 miles this weekend, so a good ride. I want to say thanks to everyone that came, it was great meeting all the people behind the names on the forum.

That Nacimiento-Fergusson Road, while a great ride and lots of cool views was just a touch narrow for my comfort. I'm pretty sure that most of the road isn't wide enough for two cars, at least not without using the shoulders. And man that one truck was hauling ass and taking up way more then his fair share!

If we do it again next year I'd like to suggest we include CA-58 and CA-229 north of the camp ground in the route. I rode both of those on my way out and had fun there, not tight twisty like Nacimiento, but twisty enough to be fun and they were actually 2 lanes wide. 229 had some construction and loose gravel but I'd think they should be done by next year.

I also had a blast on the section of CA-49 from Maraposa north to 120, A good road to check out if your in the area.

Also if anyone gets the chance, ride 108 through senora pass. I tagged along behind a group of sport bikes through that area and had a ton of fun, very twisty, some really cool tight climbing turns.
                  Last edited by psycoreefer; 06-14-2010, 12:04 PM.
                  1979 xs1100 Special -
                  Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                  Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                  My Bike:
                  [link is broken]

Comment

I'm glad that you guys had a good time, and I'll be back on board next year as chief host and cook.

Just about all of Hwy 49 is nice, with trees and twists and great views. The down side is that it is even farther away from the San Diegans, and the weather is iffy-er.

Figure about that same time next year. If you guys want to try another spot, just sing out.

~LoHo~
                    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

• Highway Pegs

Someone at the rally mentioned that they were looking for highway pegs with a billet style clamp (rather than the u-style) and I said I had seen them in J.C. Whitney. They are also available through Shadetree Powersports (www.shadetreepowersports.com) as part number 70-42. O-ring style peg with die cast clamp that fits 1" bars.

Ralph

Comment

• That was me
                        91 kwaka kz1000p
                        Stock

Comment

• If you got the July issue of Motorcyclist, on pg. 87 Jack Lewis' words hit home.
                          "Friends can last a lifetime, bikes for years and brekkie for a couple hours if you're doing it right, but a road is only new once."
                          Think that'll prolly show up in my signature. If I make it next year, I'll bring pops 80G... meant no offense to anyone, but considering I might never ride that route again, I chose to pull ahead of the group there for a bit and make the most of it. I've had some fellow riders get IRATE over separating from the group, but the other side is everybody has a different skill level and often bike capabilities vastly differ. Actually, a system that works really well is splitting up into groups of 6 or so, bout the size of a long semi. Easier to manage in traffic and the leader can see everyone in the mirrors.
                          Anyway, had an awesome weekend. I really enjoyed the hangin at the campsite with everyone about as much as riding.
                          1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
                          1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
                          1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
                          2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
                          2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

• Originally posted by dragxs11 View Post
                            If you got the July issue of Motorcyclist, on pg. 87 Jack Lewis' words hit home.
                            "Friends can last a lifetime, bikes for years and brekkie for a couple hours if you're doing it right, but a road is only new once."
                            Think that'll prolly show up in my signature. If I make it next year, I'll bring pops 80G... meant no offense to anyone, but considering I might never ride that route again, I chose to pull ahead of the group there for a bit and make the most of it. I've had some fellow riders get IRATE over separating from the group, but the other side is everybody has a different skill level and often bike capabilities vastly differ. Actually, a system that works really well is splitting up into groups of 6 or so, bout the size of a long semi. Easier to manage in traffic and the leader can see everyone in the mirrors.
                            Anyway, had an awesome weekend. I really enjoyed the hangin at the campsite with everyone about as much as riding.
                            Iraate is stupid...I do many group rides with different forums and the rule is "Ride your own ride"... Glad to hear this was a success..if I'm ever out that way I'll give y'all a heads up.
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

• No sweat Matt , there was many times I just wanted to open her up and I can't imagine how hard it was to ride with all us slowpokes
                              91 kwaka kz1000p
                              Stock

Comment

• Youberight

Hey Matt, I dont remember anybody being irate, but you are right, on that road with all the curves we should have broke up into small groups. It was a bit crazy worrying about front, back oncoming, gravel....etc. Too much closeness for a lot of us. When you opened up the Yellow Bee, I didn't want to embarrass you with the Mighty XJ, so I held off to keep you from crying that my old bike would leave you in the vacuum. RIght,,,,just kidding, I am glad to see you open it up as all of us were wondering if it was as fast as it looked. Hope to see you next year at wherever the rally is held, Colorado, S.Margarita, or San Diego. Regards, Mike in Sun DIego
                                mike
                                1982 xj1100 maxim
                                1981 venture bagger
                                1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                                1959 wife

Comment

Working...
                                X