Are you a musician? What do you play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you a musician? What do you play?

Hey guys.. After reading the "Absent Talent" post, I was wondering how many musicians we have here on the xs11 site. What do you play? What kind of music do you like?
    78 XS1100E Standard
    Coca Cola Red
    Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

No Stairway to Heaven!!!

I was the guy who repaired all the band equipment: amps, PA's, effect pedals, recording equipment, etc. Had to be able to play the AC/DC songs at standard volume just to make sure the guitars/amps had the right "sound".

I rebelled against all stringed instruments and now play the shakuhachi flute.

Comment

Does High Scool count? I played trumpet from 4th grade through the end of HS, and taught myself the French Horn in HS too, so I could play a unique part in concert band. I was the Drum Major in the marching band for 11th and 12 grade, and first chair trumpet in concert band those two years as well. I piddle with a harmonica now and then too, but I wouldn't do it in public...

I stick to oldies music now, mostly 50's-60's, with some 70's in there too. Bands like AC/DC and the Stones are too heavy for me. I actualy paid to see Peter, Paul & Mary in concert a few years ago, if that says anything about my taste in music.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

I play a little guitar, but really just at the amateur level now (I did have a garage band in high school though). As for the music I like, it's just about anything. I did enjoy going to a concert with Peter Frampton and Styx a few years ago. About the only thing I don't like it hard core country.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Guitar and bass player for many years. I'll round up some pics. and post them later.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I've played guitar for 38 years, piano for 35, some bass.

Taught beginning through intermediate guitar lessons for many years.

Write / co-write songs... mostly Contemporary Christian.

Sing... (Church choir, solo stuff at times.)
            Recorded some of my own stuff, sang backgrounds / harmonies on other's projects.

Run sound for a band called "Infinity" here in the Tulsa area, (part time now.) Close friend of mine's their lead singer. Classic Rock type band... Boston, Kansas, Journey, REO, Santana, etc. Pretty excellent group...

Worked in local recording studios for a while, had my own home studio.
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

I took a half a$$ed stab at learning to play the guitar in high school, I stunk ( I guess I probably am worse now) but it gave me a real appreciation for music in general. Now days I listen to almost any genre of music, classical, oldies, adult contemporary, folk music from the 60's and 70's. you should see my seek list on mt satellite radio, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Gordon Lightfoot, Joan Baez, Modern English, Jethro Tull, Ice Cube, you get the idea. just about the only thing I don't dig on is Raggae, never could get into it. have a nice day and ride safe
              I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Play alto flute in a flute choir... listen to mainly hard rock (Judas Priest, Godsmack, Metallica, etc) but enjoy pretty much everything from Aldo Nova to ZZ Top, classical, opera, metal and everything in between...
                81 SH Something Special
                81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                80 LG Black Magic
                78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                For those on FB

Comment

Awesome

Was just thinking about this the other day but, thought it might be too far off topic

Played piano and trumpet all through school since grade 1.
                  Started drums around grade 8.
                  Played in the Edmonton Cosmopolitan Concert Band as a kid and the Calgary Round-up Band and Calgary Stampede Band as a teen on trumpet and drums.
                  Played drums in a few local bands in the '80's. Zep, Deep Purple, Rush, you know the stuff.
                  Did the soundman/elec tech on the road for 8 years and worked as an audio engineer in a local studio we owned for a couple of years before going back to school at 30yrs old.
                  Currently trying to play the drums again and getting back into jamming with a few friends from back then. We just have a few beers and make up stuff. Yes, at 47 yrs old I have started taking drum lessons again. Way too much fun!

Check out www.reverbnation.com\cpwb Just live stuff off the headphone mix.

Cheers!
                  MJ
                  1981 XS1100 Special
                  Saddlemen Seat
                  MAC 4 into 2 Turnouts

Comment

I play the radio pretty well...
                    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

I played the Alto Sax in High School, and still do occasionally whenever I can. I'm pretty good (if I say so myself), I just never had access to the high-end music tutors- otherwise, I honestly believe I could've been really really good.

I would love to learn to play the acoustic guitar, first because Country is my favorite genera of music (but I also listen to some classical, mainly movie and video game soundtracks, with a touch of classic rock. Can't stand rap at all.), second because it'd be awesome to- well, just listen.

Arlo Guthrie/Motorcycle Song
                      Currently XS-less.

Comment

Alto sax in high school....barely got by! Now I've picked up the guitar...well several actually. I can't play all that great but they sure do make my man room look cool! I mostly just work on them or put them together out of a bunch of differnet parts.

1980 XS1100G
                        Tulsa, OK

Comment

I toy with guitar, piano, played trombone in high school. I like older hard rock. Nice simple 70's style, before speedmetal became the order of the day.
                          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Learned classical piano as a kid, and bagpipes at high school. Played acoustic guitar after school. Tried to learn sax but didnt do so well. Still play the guitar occasionally. Like a wide range of artists including Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Alice Cooper, Neil Young, Arlo Guthrie, Paul Simon, Phil Collins and Mark Knopfler. Dont mind Neil Diamond and Johnny Cash either.
                            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Tele

Originally posted by MeatTooth View Post
                              Alto sax in high school....barely got by! Now I've picked up the guitar...well several actually. I can't play all that great but they sure do make my man room look cool! I mostly just work on them or put them together out of a bunch of differnet parts.

Nice collection!! What model is the Tele? I have a 1963 model that I bought brand new. I grew up playing a 1956 Tele but unforunately, it was stolen out of our band trailer. I recently bought a 56 re-issue which is a super nice guitar. I'll try to post some pictures when I return to the states.
                              78 XS1100E Standard
                              Coca Cola Red
                              Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
                              http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
                              http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
                              http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X