Trailer and hitch info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer and hitch info

I was recently asked to re-post the links to my pages that outlined both the construction of my trailer and the hitch I built for the XJ. The info is a little dated and needs to be updated, as I built both items in 2000 and have made a few changes since, but the outlines are probably still good.

Hitch: http://idisk.mac.com/jerryfields/Pub...l/default.html
    Trailer: http://idisk.mac.com/jerryfields/Pub...iler/index.htm

Trailer updates: I have removed the wood decking to save weight and replaced the soft Samsonite case with a Sears Escargo roof-top carrier. No room for the cooler, which has been removed. I carry a small cooler on the luggage rack now. I also replaced the 14 (?) gauge tongue with a 12 gauge tongue; the lighter gauge tongue had cracked a couple times where it connected to the trailer's front crossmember.

I built the trailer when I was in Wisconsin, which does not require license plates for trailers this small. After I left Wisconsin I had to add a light and plate holder and license the trailer. These items were mounted between the tail light assemblies.

Hitch updates: The heim joints I originally used were 3/8 inch, and I had a couple on the trailer end crack. A couple years ago I replaced both ends with 1/2 inch heim ends; this eliminated the problem. I also added a reinforcement plate to the crossmember where the Heim end is mounted. A couple years into using the trailer I noticed the unreinforced crossmember had bent. No problems since I added the reinforcement.

2008, Jerry with XJ and trailer approaching Yosemite National Park

Jerry's '06 Concours pulling the his trailer to California for the XS11 Coast Rally in 2009. Grey item on bike's luggage rack is a small cooler.

In addition to carrying camping gear I have used this trailer to haul groceries, parts, tires, lawn fertilizer, potting soil, and even birthday presents. Its been fun to have around.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

That looks really nice. Must be great to have on trips. You still in Wisconsin? I live in Neenah.
    1980 XS1100SG
    1998 KLR 650

Comment

WI fun.

Thanks for the write-up, i've been thinking about setting up a trailer.

looks very nice!!

we'll have to try to set up a ride next summer in WI

I should be able to talk Dragontamer into it as well.

let me know Gents

Webs
      1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.

2012 FJR1300 Gen 2. Heli bar risers, R-gaza crash bars, mccruise cruise control.

(2)2008 WR250R. Because kids outgrew others.

2007 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. (Just added 2024) pre-crashed.

1975 Kawasaki S1 250. My first bike. Still have it. NO I'm not selling it!!

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

I built the trailer while living in Whitewater, Wisconsin beginning in the fall 0f '99, first use was the Eureka Springs XS11 rally (Arkansas) in 2000. I've pulled it to 8 XS11 rallies in the last 9 years, including Revelstoke, British Columbia. I am now living in Colorado, with a stop in Arizona from 2001 - 2003.

There are pros and cons of pulling a trailer, but overall I like it and have pulled it to many of the western National Parks, including North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Yosemite, and a several state parks. As I get older I like having the extra comforts you can stuff into a trailer. However, this only works if you plan to stay a couple nights in the same spot; unpacking and packing every day gets to be a chore. In some cases, liky Bryce, the nearest commercial lodging is quite expensive and is outside the park, so camping / trailering makes a lot of sense.

You pay for pulling the trailer through lower mileage, plan to loose 3 - 4 mpg, and increased rear tire wear. Since you have to keep in mind the width of the trailer your line through corners must be modified. Start braking a little earlier. If you need the '2nd gear fix' get it done before you start trailering.

There is the added cost of the trailer: title, plates, insurance to consider as well as storage. Add to this the fact that Yamaha does not recommend pulling a trailer with an XS or XJ. Most of the peole who camp at XS rallies carry everything they need on the bike, so you have to decide what your priorities are. I like having a larger tent, air mattress, camp chair, my camera tripod, 2 burner stove, and other stuff along which is not considered 'basic' camping gear. The trailer is lockable, so does give me a modicom of storage space that can be secured when I am not in the campground.

Anyway, if you do a search on 'trailers', 'camping' or 'hitch' you will get several previous threads on this subject, along with other people's approach to trailer hitches and home-built trailers.

Camping at Lake Santa Margarita, California, 2009.
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
        X