No announcement yet.

Canadian Rye Whisky Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got back from the "Games." Hugh event! Expensive as hell. $4 hot dawgs, $8 pints of good beer, $6.50 for a smallish shepards pie, (a pretty good value, actually.) There were 5 entertainment stages, pipe and drum, celtic dance, and herding dog compitition as well as a (to get to the point,) WHISKY TASTING, for only $25! This was billed as a short course in whisky history and appreciation, delving into the nuances between single malts, Highland, Speside, Islay, etc. Well of course I'm talking about Scotch: if I had been talking about anything else I would have spelled it "Whiskey!"
    I really wanted to do it but my "Designated Driver" wasn't along, and I was on a limited budget. In hind sight though, since I spent $16 on 32 oz of Harp, for nine more bucks, I coulda had sips of a score of the best whiskys! I coulda been a whisky con- oh- sewer! I coulda been a contendah!
    Special Ed
    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
    I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Originally posted by Special Ed View Post
      Just got back from the "Games." Hugh event! Expensive as hell. $4 hot dawgs, $8 pints of good beer, $6.50 for a smallish shepards pie, (a pretty good value, actually.) There were 5 entertainment stages, pipe and drum, celtic dance, and herding dog compitition as well as a (to get to the point,) WHISKY TASTING, for only $25! This was billed as a short course in whisky history and appreciation, delving into the nuances between single malts, Highland, Speside, Islay, etc. Well of course I'm talking about Scotch: if I had been talking about anything else I would have spelled it "Whiskey!"
      I really wanted to do it but my "Designated Driver" wasn't along, and I was on a limited budget. In hind sight though, since I spent $16 on 32 oz of Harp, for nine more bucks, I coulda had sips of a score of the best whiskys! I coulda been a whisky con- oh- sewer! I coulda been a contendah!
      Special Ed
      Uisce Beatha: Literally 'Water of Life'.

I am a Bushmills fan, but I also very much enjoy a good Scotch like Oban!
      XS1100SF
      XS1100F

Comment

Whisky/Rye

Ok I admit I am ignorant about this but are they different?It seems that all the liquor stores around here have plenty of Whisky/Whiskey but not Rye...I always thought the 2 were different?...I went to the largest liqor store in my area...one aisle had a sign Imported and Domestic Whikeys and Ryes...but all they had was Whiskys...so i looked at all of them and ofc no one has or even heard of Forty Creek
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Funk View Post
          Hey Ben, If Gator can get it in Texas, I would assume that NJ can get it too. It is made by a Niagara Ontario winery called Kittling Ridge. Their wines are very popular also. Rick
          I have found that we can get a lot of things here in the great Republic of Texas that you can't necessarily find in the lower 47... It probably has something to do with all the d@m* yankees, urm, I mean, 'Winter Texans', yeah thats it, that visit here so often...
          This world needs more Christian, RedNeck, Cowboys!

1981 XS1100 Special for sale! $750!

Comment

No hope for NJ

It,s my understanding that they don't ship to areas that drink it out of brown paper bags , in alley's. Rick
            I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

Comment

To whom it may concern,

I have not yet received the Canadian test samples yet.Please forward ASAP.

Terry
              1980 special (Phyllis)
              1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

It,s my understanding that they don't ship to areas that drink it out of brown paper bags , in alley's. Rick
                Ha ha ha...the way things are going for me ..I will wind up in an alley...
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Can I do that ?

Originally posted by tw1980 View Post
                  To whom it may concern,

I have not yet received the Canadian test samples yet.Please forward ASAP.

Terry
                  Anyone know if shipping a gift of alcohol across the border is acceptable to both U.S. and Canada Customs ?
                  I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

Comment

Anyone know if shipping a gift of alcohol across the border is acceptable to both U.S. and Canada Customs ?
                    Good question...you may be able to...but I would imagine only in a limited quantity
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                      Ha ha ha...the way things are going for me ..I will wind up in an alley...
                      Let me know which one. I will come keep you company and share my bottle of Thunderbird!

Deny
                      1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                      1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

About whisky/whiskey

"Ok I admit I am ignorant about this but are they different?It seems that all the liquor stores around here have plenty of Whisky/Whiskey but not Rye...I always thought the 2 were different?...I went to the largest liqor store in my area...one aisle had a sign Imported and Domestic Whikeys and Ryes...but all they had was Whiskys...so i looked at all of them and ofc no one has or even heard of Forty Creek."

For whatever reason the Scots spell it whisky and everyone else spells it with “ey.” Other than spelling, all varieties of distilled spirits are created from different grains, and cured differently. American rye whiskey must be made from at least 51% rye grain and cured for at least 3 years in charred white oak barrels.
                        It’s a very interesting topic and there is way to much material, and I haven’t the time to do a full treatment here. I suggest you do like I did and Google “Whiskey” or just go straight to Wikipedia. Then you too can sound like an educated drunk!

"If the ocean was whiskey
                        and I was a drunk,
                        I'd dive to the bottom
                        and never come up!

Rye whiskey, rye whiskey,
                        Rey whiskey I cry,
                        If I don't get rye whisky
                        I surely will die!"
                        (An American folk song)
                        Special Ed
                        Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
                        I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

From my experiance it all works! L.O.L So where does Windsor fit in the pic, asside from price?

Deny
                          1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                          1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Special Ed...Thanks for the info..I'll check Wiki too
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hi Big Daddy,
                              I bet the customs agents on either side of the border would appreciate your gift of whisky.

Phil
                              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                                Good question...you may be able to...but I would imagine only in a limited quantity
                                Nope, no go, legally... You can't even ship alcohol within the states unless you are a winery, distillery, brewery, and/or have the proper 'authority'...
                                This world needs more Christian, RedNeck, Cowboys!

1981 XS1100 Special for sale! $750!

Comment

Working...
                                X