Canadian Rye Whisky Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Rye Whisky Results

For Canadian rye whisky experts with a delicate palate.
    Rated #1 Forty Creek Barrel Select by Whisky Magazine, Whisky of the year/ distiller of the year.

Forty Creek Barrel Select 8.5
    Crown Royal Special Reserve 7.75
    Canadian Club Classic 7.75
    Canadian Club Sherry Cask 7.75
    Crown Royal 7.5
    Canadian Club Reserve 7.5

Now we have something more than Tim Hortons coffee and Poutine to offer our guests.
    I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

Originally posted by Big Daddy Funk View Post
    For Canadian rye whisky experts with a delicate palate.
    Rated #1 Forty Creek Barrel Select by Whisky Magazine, Whisky of the year/ distiller of the year. - - -
    Now we have something more than Tim Hortons coffee and Poutine to offer our guests.
    Hi Big Daddy,
    For those with a discerning palate, that's a good list to have.
    So long as all you add to the shot is one ounce of chilled water and one ice cube.
    For those who are going to dump coca-cola or ginger ale into their shot you may as well save a few dollars a bottle and feed them Silk Tassel or Golden Wedding.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Dear friends up north,

I believe that your products should also be tested and rated here in the lower 48.I would be willing to volunteer my services.Please send me a bottle of each and I'll report back on my findings.

Terry
      1980 special (Phyllis)
      1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

It surprises me that the regular Crown Royal scored nearly as high as their Special Reserve. The extra price doesn't look to be worth it. The Crown is my favorite on the list, (Doing it Fred's way... only leave out the water.. you'll get that from the ice cube, as well as dumping Coke all over it..) but I've never had the Forty Creek Barrel Select. Does their price reflect their status on the list?

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Here's an idea Tod, why don't you bring some this weekend. I am sure my expertly trained palate, will be up to the task of judging some fine fare from our neighbors to the north. That along with isn't it your turn to buy? See ya this afternoon!

Russ
          '81 Venturer U.S. Navy Air Commemorative
          '79 Special

Comment

Four and twenty Yankees, feeling very dry,
            Went across the border to get a drink of rye.
            When the rye was opened, theYanks began to sing,
            'God Bless America, but God Save The King!'

-Anonymous
            c.1919 Ditty current in Canada, referring to Americans crossing the border to drink during Prohibition. The Duke of Windsor, later Edward VIII, heard it during his tour of Canada (1919) and repeated it to his father, George V, on his return, as he recalled in 'A King's Story' (1951).
            XS1100SF
            XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by oseaghdha View Post
              - - - c.1919 Ditty current in Canada, referring to Americans crossing the border to drink during Prohibition. The Duke of Windsor, later Edward VIII, heard it during his tour of Canada (1919) and repeated it to his father, George V, on his return, as he recalled in 'A King's Story' (1951).
              Hi Dan,
              actually, in 1919 he was the Prince of Wales. He became King Edward VIII when his father died in 1936 and only became the Duke of Windsor after he abdicated the throne in 1937 in order to marry Mrs Wallis Simpson. Seems that calling a hysterectomized American divorcee "Her Majesty" just wasn't on.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Inexpensive not cheap

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                It surprises me that the regular Crown Royal scored nearly as high as their Special Reserve. The extra price doesn't look to be worth it. The Crown is my favorite on the list, (Doing it Fred's way... only leave out the water.. you'll get that from the ice cube, as well as dumping Coke all over it..) but I've never had the Forty Creek Barrel Select. Does their price reflect their status on the list?

Tod
                As a matter of fact the Forty Creek is substantially less expensive than the other brands. Rick

Comment

Big Daddy Funk - you must be one tough dude when it comes to drinkin'. I've never heard of anyone to subscribe to Whiskey mag. It took me 10 yrs to figure out to leave that stuff alone. Tough old farmers (not me but friends) just grab the bottle and pull on it like a bottle of cold pepsi - you have to have the air coming out on it when you take a tug. We call it ridin' the tiger - cause no matter how you think you can handle the rye eventually it takes hold of ya & throws you off. Then you know - climbing telephone poles etc. & not remembering anything. I had a buddy just last wknd that was drinkin' rye - he feel off the tiger later that night & from his wife now can't go this wknd to the deep fry turkey party on sunday. We all just drink beer now. My hats off to ya man - it looks like you can ride the tiger. Hey if make it up to Manitoulin for the ride around the bend next year I have some crown royal that I'll glady give ya, the bottle is a few yrs old though - Dan
                  '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
                  1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
                  Rebuilt head, valves
                  TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
                  Tkat Fork Brace
                  T.C. Spade Fuse Box
                  Dyna Coils & wires
                  Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
                  ISO grips with stelleto ends
                  4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
                  Bridgestone Spitfires
                  Tuned by Tinman905
                  & a will to keep it.

Comment

I hear ya !!!

I hear you on that one Dan. My hard drinking rebel days are behind me, now I just sip and enjoy the flavor. On a rare occasion I can get a little over served but I just go to sleep now.
                    As for falling off the tiger, that would involve me drinking boiler makers (shot of rye dropped into a glass of beer). I haven't done them in years but it's a sure thing I'd wake up in jail.
                    I too old to fight and too fat to run. So now I just sip and smile at everyone.
                    Rick

Comment

Hey Rick..Looks like I'll have to give this stuff a try...is Forty Creek available in the states?...Think I'll head over to the liquor store and see
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Forty Creek IS available in the states, and it IS good stuff! A month or so back a friend got a bottle of it as a B-day present. Nobody knew what it was, so I was the only one brave enough to give it its first sip. The bday boy, myself and 1 or maybe 2 others drank most of it, as everybody else had to use a chaser, a couple were jumping... I guess I'm just too used to my Tennessee sour mash!
                        This world needs more Christian, RedNeck, Cowboys!

1981 XS1100 Special for sale! $750!

Comment

Don't mess with Texas

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                          Hey Rick..Looks like I'll have to give this stuff a try...is Forty Creek available in the states?...Think I'll head over to the liquor store and see

Hey Ben, If Gator can get it in Texas, I would assume that NJ can get it too. It is made by a Niagara Ontario winery called Kittling Ridge. Their wines are very popular also. Rick

Comment

Aye, ladds

I'm a Scotch man meself. The Famous Grouse is fine, but if yer on a budget and in the area of a Trader Joe's, he has a truely fine blended Scotch for $9.99 a 5th!
                            Tomorrow I'm going to Pleasanton CA for the largest Highland Games and Celtic meet west of the Mississippi. A kilt and whisky opp if ever there was one!
                            Special Ed
                            Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
                            I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Funk View Post
                              Hey Ben, If Gator can get it in Texas, I would assume that NJ can get it too. It is made by a Niagara Ontario winery called Kittling Ridge. Their wines are very popular also. Rick
                              Ah good info Rick Thanks

Originally posted by Special Ed View Post
                              I'm a Scotch man meself. The Famous Grouse is fine, but if yer on a budget and in the area of a Trader Joe's, he has a truely fine blended Scotch for $9.99 a 5th!
                              Tomorrow I'm going to Pleasanton CA for the largest Highland Games and Celtic meet west of the Mississippi. A kilt and whisky opp if ever there was one!
                              Special Ed
                              No Trader Joes here in Joisey...we have Canal's ..I just went up there and wouldn't ya know it? They dont carry Forty Creek...gonna check a couple of small liquor stores
                              1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                              X