No announcement yet.

An old newb (new member, old XS owner)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An old newb (new member, old XS owner)

Believe it or not, my 1st bike was an XS eleven Special. I purchased my bike from the late and famous Shorty Seaborne in 1986 and rode that bike for almost 15 years until the transmission locked up. Shorty was a flat tracker so he didn't use a clutch and buggered up his transmission pretty bad. It constantly popped out of second, and found mystry neutrals between 3rd and 5th. I managed to nurse it for a long time though
    I purchased a set of gears, shafts and barrels from a local junkyard and split the case. For those of you who don't know, XS's have heavy duty transmissions for a motorcycle, there were missing teeth, bent dogs, one shaft was bent and the shift barrel was both worn and broken. I rode the bike for another 3 years until another mechanical problem forced me to park the bike again...
    ... then oblivion
    5 years ago I tried to revive the bike, my dad and I failed, I gave up, we sold 'er at a swap meet and bought another (different) bike. I've gone through half a dozen bikes in the past 5 years, even totalled a trophy 1200 which is still sitting in my garage.
    Yesterday I found a great deal on a bike that touted very low milage, almost unbelievably low, but it looks like maybe she was forgotten, rusted out gas tank, jury-rigged fuel system with a fuel pump, sticky brakes, She needs work but I felt so comfortable riding her home. The bike is a year younger than XSPastor's but looks exactly like it (I'm sorry you had to let 'er go Pastor). Just not as pretty or well taken care of.
    I still have my manual, so I'm going to get 'er in shape. This forum has already proved valuable, as most of my questions have been answered by the few postings that exist in the brakes sections. I'm certain it will be that way for most of my needs. You guys have your stuff together and I appreciate it.
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." --HERBERT SPENCER

Active: 1932 Ford Model A; XS1100SF (Just got 'er); XS1100SG; 2000 F250 Turbo Diesel; 2003 Ford Mustang
    Broken: 1999 Kawi Vulcan 750; 1998 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Gonners: XS1100SF (my first ride); '82 Honda CB900F (bored to 1123cc); '86 Kawasaki ZG1000

Greetings Macamon,

If you haven't already found it this will help with that gas tank.

http://twinoak.altelco.net/~jacil/cl...ElecSetup.html

This might be of help for the brakes.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ht=spooge+hole

You are in the biggest library of information around. Good luck.

Rodger
    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Welcome

Welcome to CH11. Let me be the first to tell you that we love pictures.
      Enjoy the cleanup and rebuilt.
      Lee aka trainzz

I am my inner child!!

I have no idea how you managed to make that connection within your brain, but I applaud whatever cellular mutation just took place.

1980 XS11 Special-"Thunder Pig"
      1980 XS11 Special-"Crazy Trainz" (project bike)
      1979 Xs1100 Standard ( parts,parts,parts)

Comment

I'm waiting on delivery of this.

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/KBS-Larg...-Kit_p_32.html

Plan to do a couple of special tanks.

mro
        welcome to XS land

Comment

Welcome Macamon! Looking foward to your posts and Pics (We like pics). Good luck with your restoration project!

Deny
          1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
          1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Working...
          X