No announcement yet.

Howdy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure about Joe Fisher, or the Yamaha shop... I've only lived here a year and only started on the bike yesterday... But I am sure I will be by there soon and will make a mental note to ask!
    The shop I stopped into was a generic 'all makes and models' type place, but appeared to be mainly Honda and HD... I'm sure its a good shop, and the guy seems to know what he's doing, but just didn't want anything to do with something like this, and should've said that instead of the way he chose to handle it...
    This world needs more Christian, RedNeck, Cowboys!

1981 XS1100 Special for sale! $750!

Comment

Welcome to the site, Gator!
      As for the shop owner, ride the bike there, and see if he is stupid! Try to get him to run a HD against you "old POS"! what will happen is he won't want to talk ever again! I like trying to get them to do a "roll on". Put both bikes in high gear, go down to about 40 MPH, IF the HD can do it, and then just roll on the throttle. The XS will beat ANY bike at that test, and you should be able to go down to 25 MPH in high gear!
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by Gator View Post
        Howdy folks!
        Howdy, Gator!

Before you dig into your bike take a look at What to look for on a neglected xs1100 and read through the Tech Tips to see how to do some of the more common repairs.

See ya later, Gator!

Scott
        -- Scott
        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Scott: Thanks! I ran across that earlier (notice, no technical posts as of yet...) Most of it is general bs that you need to watch for/do to any motor thats been sitting a while...
          The wont crank tech column is the one at the top of my list right now... once I get past that, I'll be on to the 'crank but wont start' column... then we will go from there...

Ray: Remind me of that in a month or so once I get this one running again! Sounds like a fun 'test'.

Comment

check out my rebuild thread

this is what i went through to get my 79f runnin
            http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20989
            91 kwaka kz1000p
            Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Fortunately, the guy that I got it from thinks a lot like me (and is an old friend!)! So I know what I'm getting into, without having to really worry about 'neglect'... The tank was drained and actually recoated inside before he bought his new one (which is why he 'gave up' on this one). Basically what I'm looking at is this:
              The throttle cable is broken (handle twists freely, nothing else moves)
              Clutch cable is stuck (could probably lube it, but will just replace it)
              Front brake is a no go (but back works well, need to replace line and fluid on front... and probably back too, but one thing at a time)
              Tires and brake pads were new about 3-4 years and <500 miles ago
              Battery is BAD
              Starter engages, but does not turn.
              Motor will turn (worried about possible bad valve, need to do a compression test)
              Tranny seems to be fine.
              Elec problem with turn signals(need new left hand control), and possibly in batt cut off switch. (easy fix, bypass for now...)
              Carbs need to be rebuilt (already found rebuild kits and a place that specializes in carbs for these bikes that is somewhat local!)

Comment

Howdy back atcha

Good to see another TeXSive joining the pack!

Looks like you have your work cut out for you... but it also sounds like you might just know what you're doing and won't have too much difficulty (if any) getting it done... best of luck

and the MoM is definitely a must since you're so close...
                A link with a few details...
                MoM

Geez Spiderman... you were doing so well...
                Originally posted by webbcraft2150 View Post
                It is hosted by two of the best people you would ever want to meet, John and Kat.
                until here...
                If you don't need any work done, you can hang out and watch Kat try to get her FJ to run.

Pay no attention to this part... My FJ is running quite well... now... finally... I think...

Oh oh oh!
                Almost forgot... a bunch of us are getting together in October for a ride...
                Here's the link with details...
                Talihina
                Last edited by Wildkat; 08-12-2009, 04:51 AM.
                81 SH Something Special
                81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                80 LG Black Magic
                78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                For those on FB

Comment

Nice find on the bike, Gator!

[minor technicalities elided]

So what you're saying is that you'll be ready to roll sometime this weekend or the next if the engine is okay. Well done!

Regards,

Scott
                  -- Scott
                  _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

IF (and thats a big IF) I had the time I could probably get it up and going in a week or so (counting shipping on parts if needed)... As it stands at the moment, it may take me a bit longer than that... But thanks for the encouragement! I will post more as I progress! I also took my first vacation in a few years this last weekend (mini-vacation, but its been long enough that I'll take what I can get) so I actually haven't done ANYTHING to the bike since my last post...
                    Probably some progress this week!
                    Laterz
                    >|--|~

Comment

Welcome Gator!

Deny
                      1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                      1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Originally posted by Gator View Post
                        ... But thanks for the encouragement! I will post more as I progress!
                        I was kidding about fixing it by this weekend but that's great! Most of what you listed is easy enough to fix; all at once it is kind of overwhelming. Take your time.

Regards,

Scott
                        -- Scott
                        _____

Comment

I spoke to the PO today (yesterday was his bday and I forgot to call...) and we discussed the bike briefly and he gave me a bit more background. Iirc he said it was the #3 cyl carb diaphram that was bad. He had this verified by an outside source (even though he is a competent mechanic himself) at the time (about 3 yrs ago). He did fire it up about once a year since then, so it has been within the last year the last time it actually 'ran' although he didn't/couldn't drive it as the #3 cyl wouldn't run correctly (too much fuel/flooding I believe, will verify as I get to that point) Anyways, hoping to get into it some this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                          X