Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howdy!

Howdy folks!
    Just figured I would start here and introduce myself! My name is Gator, I live in Aggieland, TX. I recently acquired a 1981 Eleven Special, non-running. I am fairly mechanically inclined and can fix pretty much anything, so the fact that it is non-running doesn't bother me much, especially knowing the previous owner and his reasons for not fixing it (he bought a new one...)
    At any rate, I ran across this forum while doing some research and figured it would be a good place for info, tech advice, and parts location!
    I look forward to meeting you all!
    Laterz,
    Gator
    >|--|~
    This world needs more Christian, RedNeck, Cowboys!

1981 XS1100 Special for sale! $750!

Howdy back at cha! I grew up in College Station. Most times here when I say howdy people pause and sometimes go " Im fine and how are you?"

Lots of good knowledge on this site. Reminds me of an old dodge site I frequent. I just got my XS1100 and hope to make it back to visit my family on it this fall. Any pics?
    Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Greetings

Greetings from the swamp lands of louisiana and welcome!!
      78 XS1100E Standard
      Coca Cola Red
      Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
      http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

I haven't figured out how to post photos yet... If I have to link them from a 3rd party it may take me a while as I've always used my own websites for that in the past, and they are all down at the moment.
        This site reminds me of a few that I frequent (stovebolt.com for old Chevy's; SteelSoldiers.com for old military vehicles, etc...) I have a bad habit of finding 'lost causes' and rejuvenating them... I'm a sucker for an old engine! Trucks, hotrods, boats, now bikes, you name it...
        What part of TN are you in? I was actually born in Memphis, though don't really remember much of it...

Comment

Welcome to the forum.I hope you get the tech info you need and also make some new friends here at ch 11.
          1980 special (Phyllis)
          1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Haha, I apologize to my son yearly for his being born in Memphis. My exwife was an Aggie and when she graduated we moved up here. My mom actually lives on a ranch out by Caldwell now.

When we moved to College Station it was I think the year before A&M went coed!

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Welcome aboard! You've definitely found the right place for all the things you need to get that machine on the road again. If you need a manual, you can download one from the link in my signature. Pictures need to be hosted elsewhere, and many of us use Photobucket, but if you want to host them yourself, that's up to you. Read through the Tech Tips section on this site and you will be amazed at the tips and tricks stored in there. Plenty of friendly folks here, and many are willing to offer hands-on help if you need it, and they are close-by. Not sure how far you are from Hurst, TX, but there is an annual event there next April called the Meeting Of The Minds (MOTM) where people come in from all over the country and work on and talk about our bikes. Never been there myself, but just might next year. Check out the Rallies section for more info. We look forward to seeing pictures of your new bike!

BTW, what kind of experience do you have on bikes? Is this your first? Lots of power in the XS's so be careful when starting out - they'll get away from you easily!
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

Elevener: careful... you're dating yourself!
                And I don't mind having been born in Memphis, it is still in the South and I made it to Texas before I was 7 (and I can make a mean brisket!)

Catatonic: The friend that I got the bike from handed me a Clymer manual for it as well, so I should be good there, but thanks for the reference.
                Also, this is by no means my first experience with bikes. Although it has been a few years since I have really ridden, I used to ride regularly, so, once I get her running, a few laps around the pasture and I should be good to go again!

Hurst is about 200 miles NNW from here, but thats basically right next door when you're talking Texas, and I do have a friend that lives in that area, so I will keep it in mind!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Comment

Cool! Have photobucket and figured out how to use it already!!!

Comment

Yeah, but .....its a thirty year old bike, of course Im getting old. The secret is to not feel it. I was into a different lifestyle when these bikes came out, so I kind of missed them back then.

And there is nothing to compare to a FSM, mine came with one downloaded and printed and binded. Im sure the PO got it from Catatonic. ( thanks Catatonic!}

Comment

Won't hold it against ya for being an aggie!!! Skippy (forum name), lives in CS and has a Special, aka, Pack Mule. Haven't heard from him much since he bought his luxo barge Yamaha Venture (I think). Anyway, anything that has broke or given someone grief on a XS11, its been addressed here. It (the XS11) will piss you off, frustrate you and make you seach for a BFH to get even with it. BUT, once you get it dialed in and hit 6k on the tach, its all been worth it. The XS is big, heavy, very powerful, handles, (well let just say it will turn) and will turn heads where ever it goes. It is a true icon of historic motorcycle muscle and to this day will hold its own against alot of late model, fuel injected, computer controled, floating disc brake bikes.

The M.O.M. (Meeting of the Minds) rally should be high on your list of "must goes" even if you have to trailer the bike. Bikes have shown up there, been ripped apart, fixed, modified, improved upon and ridden home. (Attending the Neighborhood Watch meeting is optional) Clutches get replaced, carbs get rebuilt, brakes get bled, valves get adjusted, fairing mounted and basket cases roll back on the trailer pretty much completed (remember to bring your cylinders, inside MOM joke). The afternoon ride thru the twisties of Texas are a hoot (some hollar cause the peroxide stings alot, 'nuther inside MOM joke). The people are great, food hot and the brews cold. It is hosted by two of the best people you would ever want to meet, John and Kat. If you don't need any work done, you can hang out and watch Kat try to get her FJ to run.
                      When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Elevener: I was referring to A&M going co-ed...

Comment

Originally posted by Gator View Post
                          Elevener: I was referring to A&M going co-ed...
                          Yeah, I know....if my memory is still good I think it was 1969? I was at the world record setting bonfire.

Comment

Uh, oh... an Austinite! you aren't a TU fan are ya? hehe Just kidding, just dont get that burnt orange too close to my Maroon, they don't mix too well!

I did stop into a local shop here and the guy told me that I needed to throw the bike away as it was too old to get any parts for etc etc etc...
                            Needless to say, I will likely not be going back into that shop if I can avoid it! (he was a bit of a snob about it) And as i mentioned earlier, I'm a sucker for old iron, no matter what it is, and therefore not discouraged by hard to find parts, so I started searching online and found this place right after finding: http://www.wgcarbs.com/ that appears to specialize in these older imports! So, I probably will go back to that shop once I get the bike going good...

Good to know that there are a few local/semi local folks who have already gone through the specific issues that I am likely to face. and I do have a couple of BFHs around, but I promise to restrain from using them on the XS (at least not in a vengeful way, I typically use massive firepower for that...)

Comment

Hey Gator, Does Joe Fisher still own the Yamaha shop there? ( kinda asking if he is still alive?). I cant remember his brothers name.

Comment

Working...
                              X