Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In praise of cheap tools

Originally posted by DenyP View Post
    - - - - Having said that, there would have to be a real driving force to intice me to spend a dime more for a good tool then I need to.
    Deny
    Hi Guys,
    at my age I gotta say, the lifetime warranty on stuff don't seem to matter as much as it used to. That said, I do have a full set of Sunday Wrenches (admittedly bought at 1/2 price sales) that I use for serious work.
    I also have some sets of wrenches made in one of those Asiatic countries where the Taiwanese get their cheap stuff made.
    With a combination wrench set bought for less than a dollar an item I have no hesitation in torch-bending one into a pretzel to make a special tool for a single use.
    Even at 1/2 price I wouldn't dream of doing that to a good wrench. I'd have to wait until the tool store opened up and go spend $20 or more on a special wrench and only use it once. I'd hate to do that.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Amen Fred.

Harbor Freight is my friend. I have some good stuff.. but I also have the cheap stuff, and like you... have modified many of them. How many of you have taken that fine Craftsman or Snap-on screwdriver and filed it down to fit perfectly to reach the pilot jets down in the towers? Didn't hurt a bit when I did it to my cheapie.. lol.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Hey Guys,

There's a Tools and More close by! Been there, done that. My torch and buz box (220 arc welder for you younguns) have been my best friend for ever!

Deny
        1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
        1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

I have a set of craftsman thats about 20 years old.I also have a handful of broken sockets ratchets and screwdrivers that I have been meaning to take back for years.
          I have to agree that their ratchets are weak and not real comfortable.
          My dad had some old old craftsman lools and thay were way more durable.
          I bought a set of stanley tools that I have had for a few years and love them.
          I wish quality would overtake quantity in this country again.
          Rick
          80 SG XS1100
          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Working...
          X