FWIW, Sears 106pc Toolkit on sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FWIW, Sears 106pc Toolkit on sale

Did a search online before I went there to pick up a ratchet.
    Ended up buying the 106pc set for $39, had recieved a $10 off coupon so that made it even more worthwhile to ride there.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00936106000P?mv=rr
    Richard

That's about the price you'd pay for a Snap-On ratchet. Not a bad deal.

Comment

I've always been a huge fan of craftsman tools, mainly because the no questions asked exchange policy. I was working in a wood mill and watched a guy run over a craftsman tape measure with a forklift turning it into a huge ball of mud, tape and spring remnants. After the Sears people figured out what it was they exchanged it no problem. That sure beats any experience I've ever had with Crap-on tools, and they're crazy expensive! I've found that most people that love Snap-on are loyal to justify what they paid. But ask a guy like myself that uses Crap-on at work where they're provided and they are no better then my trusty Craftsman tools. (I am in no way paid to advertise for Craftsman, but figure if I can help a person throw that extra coin at something else that matters, like their bike then its worth it!)
      Last edited by tbishop11; 06-28-2009, 07:05 PM.
      "Shop"
      Click Here! For the latest XS11 bobber update. shopschops.blogspot.com

Comment

I've bought nothign but Craftsman for all my good tools from table saw, chop saw, routers to hand tools. The only thing I ever bought from them that turned out crappy was a cordless drill and flashlight set. Drill burned the motor out in about 2 years time of normal home owner work. I love that I never sharpen a wood chisel, they get dull, trade them in.

that is a nice price for a good set of tools!
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
          - - - - I love that I never sharpen a wood chisel, they get dull, trade them in. - - -
          Hi DGXSER,
          shame on you! If I were on the exchange counter what you'd get would be a stern lecture and the forced purchase of an oilstone.
          And if we were in 1950's England you'd get a clip round the ear'ole to go with it.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Crap-on?

I haven't been in a Snap-on truck since 1975 when I closed my shop and went back to school so perhaps somthing has changed. I have snap-on tools my Dad gave me when I graduated from high school that are still just as shinny and fit as well as the day he bought them. I added quite a few to this selection over the years and felt a great deal of pleasure each time I handled them. Now I sold all but some basic stuff with my shop. My tool box now has a mixture of Craftsmen, Husky, Proto and who knows what else along with the snap-on stuff I held on to.

I don't understand how anyone would call them crap-on except for perhaps a mechanics wife...

Deny
            1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
            1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Originally posted by tbishop11 View Post
              I've found that most people that love Snap-on are loyal to justify what they paid. But ask a guy like myself that uses Crap-on at work where they're provided and they are no better then my trusty Craftsman tools.
              Maybe its just me but, the Craftsman tools you can buy from Sears hurts the paws after prolonged heavy wrenching. The craftsman ratchets and box wrenches could be more hand friendly. Maybe that’s what sets them apart from one another…? I really haven’t used much aside from Craftsman but any other wrench or ratchet that is less “boxy” is easier on the mitts IMHO…. Anyone experience this?
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Sniping at Snap-On

Originally posted by DenyP View Post
                - - - I don't understand how anyone would call them crap-on except for perhaps a mechanics wife...
                Deny
                Hi Deny,
                Snap-Ons are good tools but they ain't twice as good as Craftsman. They are however, twice the price.
                Snap-On's main market is selling from their fancy trucks at major plants where management either pays for or subsidizes the mechanics' purchases and nobody is bothered about the cost. Snap-Ons are very good tools, especially if you don't pay for them yourself.
                And as most folks who buy tools with their own money only shop for tools at Sears during a Craftsman 1/2 price sale there is no contest. Craftsman every time.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

If I had to make a living from my tools, I would buy Snap-on.
                  Craftsam is ok and I use them. I like that they replace the ones I break, but I would rather they didn't break to begin with.

Snap-on will also replace broken tools, but I have never broken one.
                  XS1100SF
                  XS1100F

Comment

Didn't mean to offend?

I haven't been in a Snap-on truck since 1975 when I closed my shop and went back to school so perhaps somthing has changed. I have snap-on tools my Dad gave me when I graduated from high school that are still just as shinny and fit as well as the day he bought them. I added quite a few to this selection over the years and felt a great deal of pleasure each time I handled them. Now I sold all but some basic stuff with my shop. My tool box now has a mixture of Craftsmen, Husky, Proto and who knows what else along with the snap-on stuff I held on to.

I don't understand how anyone would call them crap-on except for perhaps a mechanics wife...

Deny
                    I think that my status just went from a mechanic, to a mechanics wife? All because I called a over priced tool a crap-on, that digs me deep, well not really Ha Ha , I guess I'm just not that sensitive? I use them every day for my job, we break them all the time. So yes something must have changed in the last three decades. I won't lie I have quite a few in my personal collection as well. You know what they say opinions are like...
                    "Shop"

Comment

Originally posted by tbishop11 View Post
                      I think that my status just went from a mechanic, to a mechanics wife? All because I called a over priced tool a crap-on, that digs me deep, well not really Ha Ha , I guess I'm just not that sensitive? I use them every day for my job, we break them all the time. So yes something must have changed in the last three decades. I won't lie I have quite a few in my personal collection as well. You know what they say opinions are like...
                      I remember when craftsman tools didn't break. My dad's craftsman tools that he's had longer than I've been alive are far better than the new ones. The only one of the old ones I remember ever breaking was the 1/2 ratchet, and they just gave us a parts kit to fix it with, replaced the gears and ratcheting pall and spring. Never had any other OLD craftman hand tool break, the bolt or such always broke first. Newer stuff, it's just not the same anymore.
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

No joke! I "acquired" some of my dads Craftsman tools that he had in collage and they've been used and abused and I'm not ashamed to even say mis-used but have yet to break?
                        "Shop"

Comment

Hey Shop, no offence intended. The mechanics wife comment came from my memory of the wife giving me Sh#t when I bought them.
                          I do like my tools, and certanily the craftsmen amoung them. Where I live the closest regular Sears store is 70 miles away with a catalog store a little closer at 30 miles. So they aren't real convienant for me. This is why I have a mixture of brands.
                          I do mechanic work as a hobby now, primarily the bikes, but I do all my own work on our cars, truck and RV's. Having said that, there would have to be a real driving force to intice me to spend a dime more for a good tool then I need to.

Deny
                          1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                          1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Hey Shop, no offence intended. The mechanics wife comment came from my memory of the wife giving me Sh#t when I bought them.
                            I do like my tools, and certanily the craftsmen amoung them. Where I live the closest regular Sears store is 70 miles away with a catalog store a little closer at 30 miles. So they aren't real convienant for me. This is why I have a mixture of brands.
                            I do mechanic work as a hobby now, primarily the bikes, but I do all my own work on our cars, truck and RV's. Having said that, there would have to be a real driving force to intice me to spend a dime more for a good tool then I need to.

Deny
                            Deny,
                            I'm a lot like a armadillo, thick skin, slow and kind of retarded, I should probably also stay off the roads too, but I keep going out there. Anyway it would take a lot more then that to offend me! I understand the distance thing I grew up around 2 hrs away from anything, and my grandpa had all Snap-On tools for his Business for that same reason.
                            "Shop"

Comment

The price went up to $50 now. Not as good.. but still not a bad price.

Tod
                              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100
                              *Crashed/Totalled, still own