laid waste to a cbr 600!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laid waste to a cbr 600!

i pulled up next to a cbr 600rr early 2000's model last night when we got rolled up to the next light(on the outskirts of town) it turned green just before we got stopped. we both hammered it and i pulled on him like crazy until we got to the next light thart was still red. i could hear him reving up in 1st as i went by him. it was loud but not as loud as an 1100 with a kerker that doesn't have a baffle! ha
    and no idon't condone racing. i just wanted to see what she'd do. plus it was dark out.
    i think i scared the guy. heee heee
    " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
    xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
    8mm msd wires
    tkat fork brace...
    Fox shocks...
    mikes650 front fender
    led's gallore...
    renthal bars
    gold valve emulators
    vmax tensioner
    Rifle fairing

What's the old sayin'...

Ya can't outrun cubic inches? (... or in this case cubic centimeters!)
    Thanks for representin'!!!
    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

when we got to the next light he looked at me like wtf...???

i know he was trying because i owned a yzf600r and i know what a 600 cc bike sounds like at 13,000 rpm's. i am sure id have him until a little over 100 then i think he'd shoot by me. i know i topped my yzf600r out at 145 mph on the interstate one day and i know the cbr600rr is a little faster than the yzf. but it's still fun pulling on crotch rockets at lights because they don't expect a huge bike like this would be quick.
      " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
      8mm msd wires
      tkat fork brace...
      Fox shocks...
      mikes650 front fender
      led's gallore...
      renthal bars
      gold valve emulators
      vmax tensioner
      Rifle fairing

Comment

Trainzz and I did the same with a Vulcan Meanstreak 1600 Saturday. The theory that nothing beats cubes didnt hold up there. Conversely, I think the vulcan could out pull on the low end, but ran out of little green apples on the top.

I think a lighter guy than I could pull 145 on an XS11 with the 750 FD. Just keep the revs up. You need to be in the sweet spot when you hit 5th or she wont pull through.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

My father in law has a yzf600 and we pretty much tied last year before I tore her down and replaced everything in the carbs. Now she pulls so hards it fells like I'm getting rear ended when I punch it. can't wait for the rematch.

Oh Yeah, I don 't condone racing either...
          1979 Standard F, At least I think it is.

Comment

Well, dammit, I DO condone racing. Its fun, It makes you feel good. It makes other guys' plasticky girlfriends wonder why they got hooked up with a guy that gets spanked by an old POS bike. Its better than wearing too much leather and patches.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
              Well, dammit, I DO condone racing. Its fun, It makes you feel good. It makes other guys' plasticky girlfriends wonder why they got hooked up with a guy that gets spanked by an old POS bike. Its better than wearing too much leather and patches.
              Hi Ivan,
              the public streets are crawling with inattentive arseholes driving vehicles big enough to crush you without noticing the bump.
              Those who race on public streets tend to end up as smears of forensic evidence.
              BTW the Sherman tank was not particularly safe either. WW2 Brit. slang for the Sherman was "the Ronson"
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Yep, the streets are a dangerous place.

However, one's safety is ultimately left to oneself. If I were to smear myself all over the side of a F250 because I was doing 80 in a 20, who's fault would it be? Mine. I am ok with that.

Having been suspended several times for speeding as a kid, I have taken several defensive driving courses. More than a little has sunk in to my thick skull. The basic premise of each one of those classes was.... Your safety is your problem. Then they stress being aware, safe speeds, knowing your limits etc.

Although my previous comment was meant to be tounge in cheek, I firmly submit that my safety is my own responsibility. Not that of a helmet, a set of leathers, ATGATT, the highway patrol or the DMV. Setting foot or tread on a public street is a risk. Be it a motorcycle, or a Sherman Tank, something could happen that could kill you. In one of the classes I took, it was stated that you have about a 300% higher chance of dieing from walking across the street in a crosswalk than dieing from driving while intoxicated. I don't think this means we should outlaw walking. Just like it doesnt matter if you are going 100 or 10, someone could hit you and kill you.

Basically, you are not going to keep me safe. It isnt your problem if I dont wear a helmet. It isnt your problem if I drive too fast. It isnt your problem if I end up dead from driving into a blast wall at 200 mph. Its my problem. If I die from being stupid, you are all invited to piss on my grave insult my ancestry and say "I told you so." Until then, let me worry about me.

All that being said, I don't take undue risk. When I play, there is usually lots of room, little if any traffic, and I don't push my limits. I did get rather close the other night with some Harley, butt I still had my out planned if things went bad. The worst wreck I have been in put a dent the size of a golf ball in the bumper of a Beetle. I say if someone wants to tear it up, let them. It aint my deal.

Comment

hey... statistically most people don't die from racing bikes! they die riding 5 mins from home going under 30 mph. go back and reread the helmet post fro ma few days ago. plus the hurt report verifies this.

a little racing everynow and then is ok...

79 xs11 standard
                  8mm msd wires
                  tkat fork brace...
                  Fox shocks...
                  mikes650 front fender
                  led's gallore...
                  renthal bars
                  gold valve emulators
                  vmax tensioner
                  Rifle fairing

Comment

Sweet spot??

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                    Trainzz and I did the same with a Vulcan Meanstreak 1600 Saturday. The theory that nothing beats cubes didnt hold up there. Conversely, I think the vulcan could out pull on the low end, but ran out of little green apples on the top.

I think a lighter guy than I could pull 145 on an XS11 with the 750 FD. Just keep the revs up. You need to be in the sweet spot when you hit 5th or she wont pull through.

Now I'm curious, Ivan... IYHO what's "the sweet spot" before hitting 5th??
                    I'm guessing redline...
                    (Hey, who knows?? I might really need to know this some day....)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                      Now I'm curious, Ivan... IYHO what's "the sweet spot" before hitting 5th??
                      I'm guessing redline...
                      (Hey, who knows?? I might really need to know this some day....)
                      On my scoot, I dont want to shift into 5th unless it will be above about 4000. That is around 6000 in 4th. If I can wrap it up more so I hit 5000 when I shift to 5th, it pulls harder. Anything under 4k in 5th makes it lug pretty hard. I can cruise arount at 50 in fifth, no problem, but for serious riding, I shift6 out of second at 75 and out of third around 105, 4th about 120, then grab 5th and let it fly. Fastest I have seen was 140 on my speedo. I have no idea what that really is, but it was still pulling when I backed off. Last saturday I saw 135. The guy on the Kaw said he was pulling 120 and I was coming up on him fairly quickly, so I am guessing it is close.

Comment

Ohhhh, OK...

Now I see why I can't get mine to go much past 120...
                        (And all this time I was blaming my Vetter 4! lol) Just need to summon up more nads and push a little harder I guess...
                        Curious, does your scoot have a fairing? Miles warned me that this one has a tendancy to squirrel a bit above 115. I got it with brand new set of Dunlop Elite 3's, and so far it's been perfectly stable around 110. Wondered if the fairing and the aerodynamics come into play at higher speeds? (Mine has the tall windshield.)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

No no fairing.

Not only do the vetter fairings look terrible, I have heard several say they cause the front end to lift at speed. I can't confirm since I have never had one (and probably never will, since I gave up LSD some time ago)

Comment

I have a Vetter on my XJ. I don't know what speed I have been up to (85 by the speedo) but I am sure it is in the upper 120's and it was rock solid. I believe that if it is mounted securely and straight then you should have no problems.
                            Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                            '82 XJ1100
                            '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
                              I have a Vetter on my XJ. I don't know what speed I have been up to (85 by the speedo) but I am sure it is in the upper 120's and it was rock solid. I believe that if it is mounted securely and straight then you should have no problems.
                              Well there you have it straight from a guy who actually DOES know what he is talking about.

(I still don't like the looks of vetter fairings though. )

Comment

Working...
                              X