Few pics of my project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few pics of my project

So I recently picked up an xs11 frame for my new project, here is my project so far.

I originally was going to monoshock it, but then decided hardtail was the way to go.

It didn't have an xs11 engine with it, or at least a complete running one...
    So I will be doing something a bit different, and I'm not going to say until its in, otherwise you guys will think I'm dumb!

bout damn time! Someone else is willing to bobb one! hahahaha. That thing is awesome man! I can't wait to see what you do to it! Looks like a good start!
    Yes it's a damn nice bike, yes it's in REALLY good condition, yes it would be a shame to chop it, BUT damn how cool would it look with ape hangers?

Comment

Originally posted by Raywelder View Post
      So I will be doing something a bit different, and I'm not going to say until its in, otherwise you guys will think I'm dumb!
      As long as you don't jam in a H@r!ey motor, how dumb could it be!
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot View Post
        As long as you don't jam in a H@r!ey motor, how dumb could it be!
        Way to let the cat outta the bag! lol i'm kidding. I think he's gonna go with a 250 rebel motor for ****s and giggles! lol (I really don't know i'm just maken jokes!)
        Yes it's a damn nice bike, yes it's in REALLY good condition, yes it would be a shame to chop it, BUT damn how cool would it look with ape hangers?

Comment

not fond of hardtailing

[QUOTE=Raywelder;212483]So I recently picked up an xs11 frame for my new project, here is my project so far.
          I originally was going to monoshock it, but then decided hardtail was the way to go.

Hi Ray,
          of course you are not dumb. It's more likely a psychological deep-seated self-hatred probably traceable back to when your little sister pushed you off your tricycle but you've suppressed that memory kinda thing?
          WTF, it's beautiful welding on there.
          And it don't matter what motor you put in the frame. The maximum range will be from the garage to the nearest chiropractor's office.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

[QUOTE=fredintoon;212672]
            Originally posted by Raywelder View Post
            So I recently picked up an xs11 frame for my new project, here is my project so far.

Hi Ray,
            of course you are not dumb. It's more likely a psychological deep-seated self-hatred probably traceable back to when your little sister pushed you off your tricycle but you've suppressed that memory kinda thing?
            And it don't matter what motor you put in the frame. The maximum range will be from the garage to the nearest chiropractor's office.
            Ha, I hope it wont be too bad, It will have a solo springer seat.

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
              Kinda reminds me of an episode of McGyver from years ago where he welded a broken conrod with a car battery and a quarter
              1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
              2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
                Kinda reminds me of an episode of McGyver from years ago where he welded a broken conrod with a car battery and a quarter
                My flux core welder doesnt weld as pretty as the gas one at work unfortunately, However they are good strong welds, just not near as pretty.

And the flash makes them look a little uglier than they truly are! lol
                Last edited by Raywelder; 05-31-2009, 08:38 PM.

Comment

I always wanted to make my XS a real hardtail, the only problem is with the shaft drive, the back half of the frame could never be long enough to actually look right. The front of the bike looks too big, while the rear looks too short. I'm sure with a smaller gas tank it'll look alright. I'm not ragging on your hardtail, just saying the ones I've seen the proportions look off. Just my .02 cents

Comment

Originally posted by Hideki View Post
                    I always wanted to make my XS a real hardtail, the only problem is with the shaft drive, the back half of the frame could never be long enough to actually look right. The front of the bike looks too big, while the rear looks too short. I'm sure with a smaller gas tank it'll look alright. I'm not ragging on your hardtail, just saying the ones I've seen the proportions look off. Just my .02 cents
                    Hi Hideki,
                    that's because you are mind-locked into using the original swingarm.
                    Discard the swingarm entirely, all you need is the final drive off the end of it.
                    Make your hardtail as long as you want it, have the hardtail's drive side stop at a plate that bolts up to the final drive and have the other side end in a pinch sleeve for the axle. But, you say, the drive shaft will be too short. So cut it in half and braze the stubs into a length of thick-walled tube. Do this very carefully, it has to be dead straight.
                    You will now have a real 1920's style exposed drive shaft to enhance your individuality.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Here it is as of now.
                      Briggs twin, 656cc.
                      Something I wanted to do, cheap, thought it would be kinda neat, different, and still be able to get some decent speed from it.

And I'm not using that header, I had different plans for the motor when I built those.

Comment

And here I had visions of a hamster wheel and a hamster.

You definatly have some vision to see this one. I'd be interested to see it when it's completed
                        Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
                        '07 FJR1300

Comment

Uh, where's the rope starter?

'78E original owner
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

So THAT'S where all the missing trash cans go! And I thought it had something to do with the dryer and all the missng socks!
                            1980 XS850SG - Sold
                            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                            -H. Ford

Comment

Yeah Right

Nice "TACK" welds holding the "NEW POWERPLANT" in

Comment

Working...
                              X